dunkelheit

My CR1 interview experience in Montreal

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I got some questions answered by nice ppl here before, and it is my turn to share some info about the immigrant visa interview in MTL now :)

Be there early, as we figured out it seems to be first come first served (our appointment time was 10:00am, we arrived right before 9:00am and we got out there around 1:00pm...).

The interviews for immigrant and non-immigrant are separated. That means, they have 2 queues, one for immi and one for non-immi. There was a third queue that I did not figure out what it was about. You can sit all the time when waiting for your turn, but be prepared that the chairs were so uncomfortable.

Dress like you are going to work in a new place, at least for your top half (head to torso, because you will be talking to an officer through a window). I was wearing Brooks brother shirts+jeans+nike shoes, and no problem for that. It does not harm to dress more formally though.

Before the interview, my own self-education from online resources told me that (this might not be all true, but I found these making sense):

1. Do not have any exaggerate expression, like over-smile. Be polite with a little bit smile is good enough.

2. Answer questions in the briefest way, like if it is a Y or N question, answer with Y or N only, no more explanation is needed. This is because the more ppl talk, the more possible flaws it may contain and that can really hurt.

3. There is only one correct answer for this question "why did you get married": "b/c we love each other".

4. If possible, ask your petitioner to be there and show support. And show support only, like if your better half is there, he/she must not answer any questions for you (do that and fail, lol).

5. Be really prepared. We got over 400 pages of documents showing our relationship is genuine: facetime records, phone records, joint bank accounts, pics showing the both of us, pics with in-laws, the boarding passes my better half used to see me in Canada, credit card statements showing the gifts sent to each other, previous emails records, hotel receipts for vacations, etc. It turns out that the officer did not ask for any of this, but it may be helpful that you give him/her this message that you have everything (in those pounds of papers) and "come with any question", lol.

My interview questions are as follows

1. Where did you meet (this seems to be the must-ask question)

2. Did you come to US before

3. What is your current occupation

4. What do you plan to do after you got the visa

and the interview went for 3 mins

Good luck to you all.

Edited by dunkelheit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Many embassies tell all to be there at 8 AM no matter when the interview is set up for

They allow people in at one time not all day at different times

Even when i went for my ELIGIBILITY TO MARRY document and thought as US citizen i could do this at any time, i had to return the next day at 8 AM

some are questioned for over an hour

so, you were lucky

Smiling? NOT in Morocco. you smile, you will be told YOU LIE

Timeline

Thank you for sharing. If you have the time, you can enter your consulate review for Montreal here:

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/dos_review.php

I got some questions answered by nice ppl here before, and it is my turn to share some info about the immigrant visa interview in MTL now :)

Be there early, as we figured out it seems to be first come first served (our appointment time was 10:00am, we arrived right before 9:00am and we got out there around 1:00pm...).

The interviews for immigrant and non-immigrant are separated. That means, they have 2 queues, one for immi and one for non-immi. There was a third queue that I did not figure out what it was about. You can sit all the time when waiting for your turn, but be prepared that the chairs were so uncomfortable.

Dress like you are going to work in a new place, at least for your top half (head to torso, because you will be talking to an officer through a window). I was wearing Brooks brother shirts+jeans+nike shoes, and no problem for that. It does not harm to dress more formally though.

Before the interview, my own self-education from online resources told me that (this might not be all true, but I found these making sense):

1. Do not have any exaggerate expression, like over-smile. Be polite with a little bit smile is good enough.

2. Answer questions in the briefest way, like if it is a Y or N question, answer with Y or N only, no more explanation is needed. This is because the more ppl talk, the more possible flaws it may contain and that can really hurt.

3. There is only one correct answer for this question "why did you get married": "b/c we love each other".

4. If possible, ask your petitioner to be there and show support. And show support only, like if your better half is there, he/she must not answer any questions for you (do that and fail, lol).

5. Be really prepared. We got over 400 pages of documents showing our relationship is genuine: facetime records, phone records, joint bank accounts, pics showing the both of us, pics with in-laws, the boarding passes my better half used to see me in Canada, credit card statements showing the gifts sent to each other, previous emails records, hotel receipts for vacations, etc. It turns out that the officer did not ask for any of this, but it may be helpful that you give him/her this message that you have everything (in those pounds of papers) and "come with any question", lol.

Good luck to you all.

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

horsey-change.jpg?w=336&h=265

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Process & Procedures to Progress Reports.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Good luck to you all.

Congrats on the approval. I had my interview on the 12th and I was also approved, the CO told me it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I can get my passport back with the visa. I didn't ask why so I was just wondering did they tell you in how long they will return the passport?

Timeline

Congrats on the approval. I had my interview on the 12th and I was also approved, the CO told me it will be 2 to 3 weeks before I can get my passport back with the visa. I didn't ask why so I was just wondering did they tell you in how long they will return the passport?

They need to put the stamp on your visa which takes 1-2 days. If you have registered for the courier service, they will inform the courier to pick up the documents from US embassy, and have that mailed to your selected courier terminal. Once the courier picks up the documents, they will send you an email or call you (depends on if you gave them your email or phone #), and inform you about the tracking of this delivery. This courier service takes about 4-10 business days (again depends on where you live). So 2-3 weeks is a conservative way to tell you about the timing. What I am curious though, is that this delivery takes multiple days and still calls itself express rofl.

Hope this helps.

Timeline

They need to put the stamp on your visa which takes 1-2 days. If you have registered for the courier service, they will inform the courier to pick up the documents from US embassy, and have that mailed to your selected courier terminal. Once the courier picks up the documents, they will send you an email or call you (depends on if you gave them your email or phone #), and inform you about the tracking of this delivery. This courier service takes about 4-10 business days (again depends on where you live). So 2-3 weeks is a conservative way to tell you about the timing. What I am curious though, is that this delivery takes multiple days and still calls itself express rofl.

Hope this helps.

Ours was 3 business days from issued status to arrival at the package at loomis

The content available on a site dedicated to bringing folks to America should not be promoting racial discord, euro-supremacy, discrimination based on religion , exclusion of groups from immigration based on where they were born, disenfranchisement of voters rights based on how they might vote.

Timeline

Good luck to you all.

Thank you for this! When the time comes my husband will also have his interview in MTL. I been keeping a record of all our visits, flight confirmations, I print out our phone call records every month since 2014, and everytime we see eachother I make sure we take at least 2-3 pictures of us together with something varifying where we are, like the parliment building, or Disneyworld etc. I figure this might help during the interview to "prove" our relationship. We try to see eachother every 1-2 months. Hopefully we will get approved soon, airfare is putting us in crazy debt lol, but all worth it in the end. If you have any other tips about the MTL embassy that can ensure a smooth interview experience, please let me know. Congrats on your approval!! :)

event.png

Timeline

Thank you for this! When the time comes my husband will also have his interview in MTL. I been keeping a record of all our visits, flight confirmations, I print out our phone call records every month since 2014, and everytime we see eachother I make sure we take at least 2-3 pictures of us together with something varifying where we are, like the parliment building, or Disneyworld etc. I figure this might help during the interview to "prove" our relationship. We try to see eachother every 1-2 months. Hopefully we will get approved soon, airfare is putting us in crazy debt lol, but all worth it in the end. If you have any other tips about the MTL embassy that can ensure a smooth interview experience, please let me know. Congrats on your approval!! :)

event.png

Good luck lol.

Timeline

event.png

I think you have all the stuff so most likely it will go through smoothly. BTW we saw about 10 ppl for immi visa that day and 0 failed (can tell from their faces). Ain't this a good sign.

Timeline

I think you have all the stuff so most likely it will go through smoothly. BTW we saw about 10 ppl for immi visa that day and 0 failed (can tell from their faces). Ain't this a good sign.

Good sign indeed! My husband just came to visit last week and at the airport he told customs he was going to visit his wife (first time crossing the border since our wedding in May). That sparked about 20 questions, he said the customs agent was not rude or anything, but just intense. They even made him show them his return flight information and everything. I told him if he could get through that he would be fine in the interview lol.

Timeline

Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying back but I still have not heard back from them yet. Did you get your visa yet? I emailed them last week and they said to give them 2 to 3 weeks so hopefully I will get my passport back soon.

Timeline

Thank you for replying back but I still have not heard back from them yet. Did you get your visa yet? I emailed them last week and they said to give them 2 to 3 weeks so hopefully I will get my passport back soon.

Is your Visa status "ready" or "issued"?

Issued means it is printed and all but in your hands. You should not stay in Ready status that long though.

Timeline

Is your Visa status "ready" or "issued"?

Issued means it is printed and all but in your hands. You should not stay in Ready status that long though.

Hello Rob L no is still on ap and been stuck on it since my interview on aug 12th. When I emailed them last week the status date did change to the 19th but other than evertything else remained the same.

Timeline

Hello Rob L no is still on ap and been stuck on it since my interview on aug 12th. When I emailed them last week the status date did change to the 19th but other than evertything else remained the same.

hmm I have my visa back already. After my interview on Aug 12 it only took 3 days for me to receive my stamped passport.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.