SV350z

Tax Forms for Interview and a few other questions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My Fiancee has an interview on the 25th of this month (finally yay!). I see I need to provide my tax forms, I do not have my 2014 filing because I live overseas so I was able to get an extension, I have not filed yet. Will my 2013 be ok? If so, the only one I have is a photocopy I made before sending my taxes, they were prepared by a tax professional. Is that good enough? I have my 2012 too.

I have been living with my Fiancee overseas for the last year almost, we own a business together. Would that have any negative affect on our k1 visa? I am living overseas legally but the country has taken a very violent turn and we are hoping to leave ASAP once the visa is approved.

And lastly, does anybody know if the US Embassay in El Salvador will allow me to attend with my fiancee? I know some embassies do and some don't. I emailed to ask but no reply yet.

Thank you all!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I would submit a copy of your form 4868 for the extension and any IRS communication regarding it. Also, you probably did a rough draft of your return for the extension, so I would submit that as well.

Hello,

I did not save a rough draft, my CPA handled it and he is no longer going to be my CPA because his firm closed.

I do have a copy of the 4868 form though. Does anybody know if it will create a problem? If it does I could file my taxes right now, if I file now though what do I use to show proof? Just a copy of my completed and signed taxes before mailing them or what?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Taxes for those that are self-employed are a must, so file. The most recent return will be an absolute must once in the US, married and filing for AOS.

Include a complete copy of the return you submit with all forms, schedules 1099s, etc. They will look at your total income, which is line 22 of the 1040, so don't take too many deductions if it will lower that amount under the income requirement. It is also important that your business will continue once you move to the US.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hello KayDeeCee,

My Business with my fiancee is not legally mine. I have no legal connection at this time. So that will not play into my taxes, and since we are not married...

My actual work is not self-employed, I work as a W2 employee for a US company. I have an extension until October... would the extension plus last years (2013) not be enough?

Timeline

It may be enough, along with proof of your current income via a letter from employer and/or recent pay stubs, but I cannot say for sure. Most consulates require a copy of the most recent tax return, but some are more strict than others on what they want to see. Perhaps email them directly and ask.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hi there,

I get paid digitally, I have a copy of my bank account statement where I get deposits from my employer every 2 weeks, would that work?

Also I can get a letter from my employer stating my job and pay. Is the tax income return the only viable method or can I use alternatives? I am getting paranoid

Timeline

The bank statements showing deposits and letter from employer work for proving your current income. You will need to ask your consulate directly if they will allow just your proof of current income along with 2012 and 2013 returns and proof you filed for an extension in 2014. As I said, some consulates will require the most recent tax return.

Ok thanks! I am working on filing now. I am noticing an issue though, some people seem to say you need a W2 with the Income tax return.

What happens if I am self-employed? One year I do have a w2 but it's scanned. For the latest year I am an Independent Contractor so it shows as self-employed. Do you I just need a copy of my tax return as I filed it or something else in place of the W2?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Tax transcripts are preferred and easier: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

I also filed an extension for 2014 taxes so I provided a letter from my bank showing all deposits for the previous 12 months along with a listing of major assets (house, retirement accounts etc). My fiancee's K1 visa was approved with no problems.

CSC

4/14/2015 Sent I-129F via UPS

4/16/2015 Received NOA1

6/1/2015 Received NOA2

NVC

6/8/2015 NVC Received Petition

6/10/2015 NVC sent to US Embassy Bangkok (NVC Confirmed)

US Embassy Bangkok

6/13/2015 US Embassy Bangkok Received (tracked with DHL)

6/15/2015 "Case Creation Date"

6/26/2015 Status "Ready" CEAC case tracker

7/2/2015 Received Packet 3

7/7/2015 Received Thai Police Certificate via mail

7/10/2015 Mailed Packet 3 documents to US Embassy

7/13/2015 Received Packet 4 email/Interview Scheduled for 8/4/2015

8/4//2015 Interview (Approved!)

US

8/19/2015 I (USC) flew to Thailand

8/26/2017 We flew back together to Colorado, USA (LA California port of entry)

Marriage SSN

8/28/2015 Applied for SSN

8/28/2015 Obtained Marriage License

9/4/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with unmarried name via US mail

9/7/2015 Married in Colorado

AOS, AP, EAD

9/9/2015 Recorded Marriage License, Changed name SSN, Applied for AOS, AP, EAD

9/14/2015 Received social security card (SSN) with married name

9/16/2015 Received text and email NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD

9/21/2015 Received paper NOA1s for AOS, AP, EAD via US mail

9/25​/2015 Received letter vis US mail scheduling biometrics for 10/5/2015

10/2/2015 Received RFE for not submitting 2014 tax documents

10/5/2015 Biometrics in Denver

10/9/2015 Responded to RFE by sending 2014 tax copies

11/18/2015 Received RFE stating EAD form was not an original signature?

11/19/2015 Signed the form in BLUE ink and returned via 2nd day UPS

12/10/2015 AP and EAD Approved

12/17/2015 Received Combo AP and EAD Card via US mail

Timeline

Ok thanks! I am working on filing now. I am noticing an issue though, some people seem to say you need a W2 with the Income tax return.

What happens if I am self-employed? One year I do have a w2 but it's scanned. For the latest year I am an Independent Contractor so it shows as self-employed. Do you I just need a copy of my tax return as I filed it or something else in place of the W2?

Ok, you keep switching back and forth between whether or not you are self-employed or an employee. Some that are self-employed receive 1099s, but you may not. Either way, you need to provide a complete copy of your return, which would include any and all forms and documents you would need if you were mailing in your return to the IRS. OR, if you have enough time after filing, you can get an IRS transcript instead. Either one works.

Thanks everyone!

The embassay emailed me back and they said they want 2014 tax year, if I don't have to do a joint sponsor affadavit. I did not want to do that so I got my sister to DHL me my W2's (they are in the US, I am not) and I am having my CPA do my tax form. They assure me we will be ready before the interview date. It's costing me a fortune to get stuff done on time but better than risking it.

I am going to bring:

-2014 1040 signed by me

-W2 for 2014 from 2 jobs

I am hoping that is enough information, I make way more than the requirement thankfully.

Also they said I can go inside the embassy with my fiance but not be at the window during the consular interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.