Rayann

US Credit cards

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a card with royal bank that used my canadian credit score to get me an american card when I first moved and my US credit score was 0...

but now I have been here almost a year and even though I am employed and have a good credit score most credit card companies still deny me due to having less than 2 years of credit history. can anyone suggest a company that will give cards to those of us new to america?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Sorry to tell but you do not have good credit score - whatever Credit Karma tells you. Free credit scores available on line are highly inaccurate. Go get secured card from any of the banks and go from there.

(I got two high limit cards before I had 2 years of history).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We had a checking account with a credit union. After capital one denied my husband for a card with applied for a credit card with our bank and was approved. It was a small amount but it got him started. You can also consider taking out small loans with your bank to build your credit. Now a year later we have about 5/6 pre-approved credit cards coming to us weekly that we just throw away.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a card with royal bank that used my canadian credit score to get me an american card when I first moved and my US credit score was 0...

but now I have been here almost a year and even though I am employed and have a good credit score most credit card companies still deny me due to having less than 2 years of credit history. can anyone suggest a company that will give cards to those of us new to america?

Thanks!

Hi there!

The best choice for you will be a pre paid credit card most big banks will do it, of course they are going to charge an anual fee, even if its your own money. however after 4 or 5 month you shoul apply for another credit card and one from an store like Macys or Gas company. before the en of the year you should be able of closing that one to avoid second year anual fee. it takes time but little by little. avoid to many inquires this will drop your score.

:-))

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a few cards in the US before moving. (Kohls/Macys)..but they were under my SIN number. It was a huge pain changing over from SIN to SSN. And it did lower my credit score. Btw closing accounts isn't a good idea.

Why not try Home Depot, Bank of America, Discover, Barclays.

Apr 11/13...married in Las Vegas
Apr 18/13...filed 1-130
Apr 22/13...received notification Noa1

Nov 26/13...218 days transferred from NBC to CSC

Dec 30/13..Notification of approval NOA2

Jan 9/14....Received by NVC

Feb 10/14...Obtained Case#, IIN,BIN#'s

Feb 10/14...sent OPTIN email..received

Feb 15/14...Confirmation for DS261

Feb 20/14...AOS shows PAID

Feb 20/14...Received Document Cover sheet (bar coded)

Feb 28/14.. received OPTIN approval

Feb 28/14...emailed OAS package

Mar 4/14 paid IV Bill

Mar 6/14 submitted DS260

Apr 14/14 Case Complete NVC

Apr 17/14 Received instructions for appt

Apr 21/14 Case sent electronically to Montreal.

May 30/14 appt in Montreal

May 30/14 APPROVED!!! YIPPEE

June 4/14 Passport with Visa in Hand! (quick eh)
Aug 20/14 POE Detroit Bridge

Aug 26/14 received SSN (card)

May 23/16 Filed 1-751 (California)

Nov 26/16 751 Approved 10 yr card on way.

N400

Dec 27/17   Mailed application

Dec 29/18   Priority Date

Jan 4/18     NOA..Fee pd

Jan 24/18   Biometrics

Feb 9/19    N400 Interview in Las Vegas- Approved!!

Mar 8/19   Oath Ceremony

Mar 8/19   I'm a citizen!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.