caphoto

Travel Insurance to cover baggage etc for K-1?

7 posts in this topic

So I can't really find any answers to this in the forum, wondering if any of you have any good ideas...

I'm moving to the states on August 23rd, and getting married on October 3rd. I'm applying to Covered California for temporary health insurance to cover me for the time before our wedding, but what has everyone done for travel insurance to cover lost baggage, cancelled flights etc? All the UK travel insurance companies I've seen require you to be a UK resident and return to the UK after your trip, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I winged it, nothing too horrendous anyway if the worst came to the worst.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I had an annual policy in place when I left. As I entered on a non immigrant (k1) visa, if I'd needed to claim, I would have done so. Fortunately my husband's medical insurance back dated our cover to add is as at the date of marriage so we didn't have to worry about that and we were married less than two weeks after arriving here.

I did have a bag opened and items missing when we landed. I didn't bother to claim because the excess made it a break even so it wasn't worth the hassle but I never travel without insurance.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You might have got away with a small claim on UK travel insurance if they missed that you emigrated.

But let's say you have a major medical, break a leg, first thing they will be looking to do is get you home which on a K would be especially interesting.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I've been looking into temporary health insurance to cover me until I can be on my partner's insurance at the beginning of September. For years I've used Insure and Go when travelling from the UK, and called them yesterday to see if they would cover me whilst travelling to the USA on a K1. My take was that as the K1 isn't an immigrant visa (it's a 90 day visa that you can adjust to permanent residency IF you meet the requirements within 90 days) then technically you are still a 'traveler' until you file for AOS.

However...

I explained my situation with the advisor at Insure and Go and asked if I would still be covered if I took out an insurance policy with them. In a nutshell, the answer is "No". She did state that the insurance would be valid for the flight over, but would then be invalidated 24 hours post arrival at the US point of entry. I guess the argument being that it would cover me for 'travel' (the flight over to the USA), but after 24 hours of arrival in the USA as the intent is to marry and adjust status, that automatically invalidates the insurance policy. Most of them are advertised as 'Travel' insurance that includes medical coverage, and it is the 'Travel' category that is important for its legitimacy. As "Travel" and "Emigrate" are two completely separate categories, "Travel" insurance will NOT cover you if you enter the USA as a K1 holder.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Thanks for all your replies. I'm hesistant to just 'wing it' because I've had to make a major claim before, both with a medical issue and lost baggage. So it seems that regular travel insurance isn't the way to go.... while browsing, I came across a one-way travel insurance company called Go Walkabout - have any of you heard of it? It might be the answer! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

She did state that the insurance would be valid for the flight over, but would then be invalidated 24 hours post arrival at the US point of entry.

That should at least protect us for flight and luggage? If the flight got cancelled, bags lost etc. I'm taking my life into 4 suitcases as that was the "cheapest" option so thinking I should get travel insurance for the flight at least.

K1 Timeline

November 21st 2013 - First Met

November 18th 2014 - I-129f Submitted

November 24th 2014 - NOA 1

May 22nd 2015 - NOA 2 - no RFE!

June 4th 2015 - Case Sent to NVC

June 6th 2015 - NVC receives case

June 15th 2015 - Case Sent to Embassy

June 16th 2015 - Phoned NVC and finally got case number (tried 12th June and had not been assigned)

June 16th 2015 - Medical booked

June 21st 2015 - Sent Packet "3" - DS 160 and readiness

June 25th 2015 - Embassy sends letter in receipt of receiving case

June 30th 2015 - Medical

July 28th 2015 - Interview - Approved!

August 3rd 2015 - Email request to collect from courier office (Went straight from "Ready" to "Issued" did not see AP in CEAC)

August 4th 2015 - Collected packet from Chancery Lane Courier Office

August 7th 2015 - Arrived in Houston and end of K1 journey :)

Adjustment of Status Timeline

August 10th 2015 - Applied for SSN, obtained SSN number next day

August 15th 2015 - SSN card arrived

August 20th 2015 - Married! :)

August 24th 2015 - sent packet to USCIS via FedEx [AOS, AP & EAD]

August 26th 2015 - packet received at USCIS

August 28th 2015 - NOA 1 for all three applications

September 15th 2015 - RFE - request 1040A, W2's was not enough

September 24th 2015 - Biometrics completed

September 28th 2015 - RFE response received by USCIS

October 27th 2015 - EAD approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.