Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I have a question about minor travelling to the US unaccompanied.

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife's daughter lives in the Philippines and we are filling out an Affidavit of Support and Consent so she can get a passport. We are wondering if she will need a DSWD clearance. She does not have a visa yet but she will be getting one after the I-130 is approved. On the DFA website it says that there is no need to secure a DSWD clearance if the minor traveling abroad has parents who are in the Foreign Service or living abroad or are immigrants, provided he / she is holding a valid pass such as a dependent’s visa / pass / identification card or permanent resident visa / pass / identification card which serves as proof that he / she is living with parents abroad.

The part that I am unsure of is what type of visa she will be getting. Her mother is a permanent resident and I am a U.S. citizen. I'm guessing that she will need to get a Family Preference Immigrant Visa but I'm not sure if that's correct. If that is the case then will she need a DSWD clearance to come to America unaccompanied?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.