HUSKERKIEV

1st post former NSC adjudicator now petitioner

286 posts in this topic

Hey husker, been reading through this huge and rapidly growing thread. I chose this post to quote in my welcome because although we are through in our particular case, a similar situation happened to our case. It seemed for a few weeks like we simply had filed on the wrong week. The week before, and week after our petition were seeing approvals, and those who filed on our week were left behind. I did my best not to feel too discouraged, and our week eventually caught up and approvals rolled in. I guess this is more for the poster who is feeling left behind, you will get your approval in time. It is hard to wait, I know!

I guess since you didn't work at CSC husker, I can't ask you what sort of glue the adjudicators there used for handling petitions! :lol:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry427818

Short answer this morning. Basically, because congressional are such a pain for the cIS folks to respond to and a very serious matter, I would nottake them lightly, and give them the serious consideration they deserve. Sounds like you appreciate this fact.

So, Iwould never encourage a person to just file a "congressional" to jump the line" or move ahead of everyone else. Thats not the purpose. I only recommend you use this last resort when the system has broken down for some reason in your case or there are extraordinary circumstances that require an immediate intervention by your representative (ie deportation hearing etc...).

I would say if your application has not been worked with its normal date group within a reasonable amount of time taking into accountthe additional time a security hit mighttake to resolve, then it might be appropriate. But, I would err on the side of patience and use it only as a last resort. I saythis to be fareto all the other people waiting patiently in line with you.

Hope that helps.

That does help - thank you. I guess my only other question would be what you mean by 'normal date group' - to me, I see cases on Visa Journey that have a NOA1 date around or after mine which have already been approved, yet here we sit.

Are those folks considered my 'normal date group', or what other barometer should I use to determine that?

It FEELS like I'm languishing, but it may just be my heightened, emotional perception (moreso than reality). And I don't want involve my congressman if it would be out of order for me to do so.

And thanks, too, for your comments on a file being misplaced. :thumbs:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Husk

Welcome aboard! I'm new-ish as well. I spent some time on here before sending in our petition though you have personal insight you will find members a great emotional resource. As well, since it seems you've been out of the biz for a bit--you might get a bit of insight too. I am sure I'm not the first, nor the last to thank you profusely for all your help in understanding the process behind the curtain and to hope that our inundating you with questions doesn't discourage you from joining in.

It's taken me nearly 2 hours to get to the end of this thread and feel much better (and 2 minutes later- a little worse) knowing it is a human being that is looking at my case (and the hundreds of other fellow VJer's cases)!

But alas, I have a question too..lol-can't help myself and I am hoping it is something that others might have been wondering too..

DOES SIZE MATTER?? (sorry--all that "touch" talk)

We sent in our K1 petition to CSC -received Feb. 16 and I am now regretting how big the package was(rarely said!). It weighed 3 pounds!! Was 150 pages numbered. Scott and I have been together for 2 years and have had 15 trips back and forth to see each other so I documented each trip. 104 pages of documentation to be exact. I listed each trip by date and who went where and a short summary of the highlights as a Table of Contents and gave each trip an attachment letter -A-P. Each Trip separated by a thicker stock of paper with the pictures(1-4 pics) stapled to it in a plastic baggie and the same summary on the divider (with a tab at the bottom with the coordinating letter). Between each divider there is the flight itinerary, at least 2 emails from before the trip and after the trip to him, from him or correspondance between myself and his family or he and my kids (to show a relationship between all family members), phone bills from both of us placed sporadically between trips, a picture of the "ring" and reciept in the month it was given, proof of trips taken together, the list goes on. All this on top of the 28 or so pages of forms, g325s, passport pics and birth certificates. Oh-and the 22 page divorce decree from his previous marriage.

I was so chuffed that I had all this proof, this 2 year relationship that culminated itself into a very detailed 150 page, 3lb package. And now...I'm thinking.....would 40 pages have been better. Will it take them 90 years just to read through everything (all important infor is highlighted-names, dates, to, from etc for easy reading). Or does the Angel on my other shoulder have it right when she yells at the troublesome Devil on the left "Hey! This is going to be a breeze-who could deny such a thoughtful, well put together and very complete package!

Ahhhhhhhh..you will find we all have our own neurosis on here! Mine today(because tomorrow's will be different-especially if we get our NOA1!) is did we do our package right? Will the size an amount included help or hinder?

Anyhoosie! Thanks again from the bottom of my heart and many others for taking the time and risking your wrist's health in answering all of our questions and best of luck on you and your hunny-bunny's journey--hope we can help you out when the need arises!

AngelD :bonk::wacko::wub:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Husk

Welcome aboard! I'm new-ish as well. I spent some time on here before sending in our petition though you have personal insight you will find members a great emotional resource. As well, since it seems you've been out of the biz for a bit--you might get a bit of insight too. I am sure I'm not the first, nor the last to thank you profusely for all your help in understanding the process behind the curtain and to hope that our inundating you with questions doesn't discourage you from joining in.

It's taken me nearly 2 hours to get to the end of this thread and feel much better (and 2 minutes later- a little worse) knowing it is a human being that is looking at my case (and the hundreds of other fellow VJer's cases)!

But alas, I have a question too..lol-can't help myself and I am hoping it is something that others might have been wondering too..

We sent in our K1 petition to CSC -received Feb. 16 and I am now regretting how big the package was(rarely said!). It weighed 3 pounds!! Was 150 pages numbered. Scott and I have been together for 2 years and have had 15 trips back and forth to see each other so I documented each trip. 104 pages of documentation to be exact. I listed each trip by date and who went where and a short summary of the highlights as a Table of Contents and gave each trip an attachment letter -A-P. Each Trip separated by a thicker stock of paper with the pictures(1-4 pics) stapled to it in a plastic baggie and the same summary on the divider (with a tab at the bottom with the coordinating letter). Between each divider there is the flight itinerary, at least 2 emails from before the trip and after the trip to him, from him or correspondance between myself and his family or he and my kids (to show a relationship between all family members), phone bills from both of us placed sporadically between trips, a picture of the "ring" and reciept in the month it was given, proof of trips taken together, the list goes on. All this on top of the 28 or so pages of forms, g325s, passport pics and birth certificates. Oh-and the 22 page divorce decree from his previous marriage.

I was so chuffed that I had all this proof, this 2 year relationship that culminated itself into a very detailed 150 page, 3lb package. And now...I'm thinking.....would 40 pages have been better. Will it take them 90 years just to read through everything (all important infor is highlighted-names, dates, to, from etc for easy reading). Or does the Angel on my other shoulder have it right when she yells at the troublesome Devil on the left "Hey! This is going to be a breeze-who could deny such a thoughtful, well put together and very complete package!

Ahhhhhhhh..you will find we all have our own neurosis on here! Mine today(because tomorrow's will be different-especially if we get our NOA1!) is did we do our package right? Will the size an amount included help or hinder?

Anyhoosie! Thanks again from the bottom of my heart and many others for taking the time and risking your wrist's health in answering all of our questions and best of luck on you and your hunny-bunny's journey--hope we can help you out when the need arises!

Just a quick note. This is my thoughts as if I were to receive your package as an adjudicator and not based on anything else.

So, as I would heft this door stop of a packet onto my desk I would first think to myself that while it may be a tad much, this person has their stuff in one sock so to speak (translated – you have your act together, maybe a bit over the top- but together none-the-less). I would always have too much information to look through than not enough and have to send out an RFE. It just may happen that a piece of supplemental information is found on those extra documents. One never knows…

As an adjudicator, I know what exactly I’m looking for, what’s relevant and what’s not needed to be looked at right at the moment. I’d check the things I needed to check and basically ignore the rest, (unless I needed to find a specific piece of info that I thought might be included within your packet). Otherwise, it all stays in the file, but unless its something I’d deal with to make a determination on your case I wouldn’t bother (unless it was a real slow day and I wanted some entertainment or something to talk about at lunch with the co-workers. “Hey Mary, you should’ve seen the packet I got today…” Just kidding. We usually never talked shop and because we’re always busy, time to browse doesn’t usually happen.

So to answer your question more directly – I don’t think its gonna hurt your case any if that’s what you’re worried about.

Timeline

2/20/07 - Mailed I-129 to NSC via Express Mail

2/21-07 - Application Received at NSC

2/26/07 - Transferred to CSC NOA1 recieved

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

7/8/07 - Recieved hard copy NOA2

7/20/07 - NVC sends Petition to Kiev

9/26/07 - Interview scheduled

9/26/07 - Visa Issued for K-1

10/07/07 - Scheduled departure to US

10/07/07 - Arrives POE Chicago !! Woo HOO!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Hi and again, welcome to VJ - you're shedding much light on this "dark" process many of us have undertaken.

I do have a quick question: I was ill advised by a mutual acquaintance claiming to know the K1 process very well, to file an I824 - APPLICATION FOR ACTION ON AN APPROVED APPLICATION OR PETITION with my I129F for the K1 visa, with the notation to Cable Notify the consulate. Well that never happened. Of course my $200 was gratiously accepted.

Now what? I'm curious to ask for my money back. Nothing was ever done on the I824. Currently the online status of the I824 is the same showing the Sep 29th day received, but the update date has changed a few times, once on Jan 31, then on Feb 20 - the day the visa was approved at the interview, and again on Feb 21.

I was misadvised to do the same by a CIS Customer Service representative, only my I824 involved resending my approved petition to the NVC, when in fact all I needed was a letter to my congressman to get everything back on track. It was amazing how quickly the $200 check was cashed and also how quickly I got action from the CIS after contacting my congressmen.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Husk

Just a quick note. This is my thoughts as if I were to receive your package as an adjudicator and not based on anything else.

So, as I would heft this door stop of a packet onto my desk I would first think to myself that while it may be a tad much, this person has their stuff in one sock so to speak (translated – you have your act together, maybe a bit over the top- but together none-the-less). I would always have too much information to look through than not enough and have to send out an RFE. It just may happen that a piece of supplemental information is found on those extra documents. One never knows…

As an adjudicator, I know what exactly I’m looking for, what’s relevant and what’s not needed to be looked at right at the moment. I’d check the things I needed to check and basically ignore the rest, (unless I needed to find a specific piece of info that I thought might be included within your packet). Otherwise, it all stays in the file, but unless its something I’d deal with to make a determination on your case I wouldn’t bother (unless it was a real slow day and I wanted some entertainment or something to talk about at lunch with the co-workers. “Hey Mary, you should’ve seen the packet I got today…” Just kidding. We usually never talked shop and because we’re always busy, time to browse doesn’t usually happen.

So to answer your question more directly – I don’t think its gonna hurt your case any if that’s what you’re worried about.

Husk

Thank you thank you. That was pretty much what I was hoping to hear. And if my pics end up as fodder for lunch time gossip-I hope they have at it! Sent in some great pics (no nudes of course-lol)

Sorry to ramble, I'm in CA now visiting my USC fiance and he left his computer at home today--so I actually get more than 3 minutes to check mail--I'm so excited and have missed VJ so much I'm writing and reading up a storm-you will soon find out how addictive this site can be-if only to read some of the great blips of humour that run through the threads.

Thanks again and have a great day--rest them wrists!

Angel

Timeline
Hi and again, welcome to VJ - you're shedding much light on this "dark" process many of us have undertaken.

I do have a quick question: I was ill advised by a mutual acquaintance claiming to know the K1 process very well, to file an I824 - APPLICATION FOR ACTION ON AN APPROVED APPLICATION OR PETITION with my I129F for the K1 visa, with the notation to Cable Notify the consulate. Well that never happened. Of course my $200 was gratiously accepted.

Now what? I'm curious to ask for my money back. Nothing was ever done on the I824. Currently the online status of the I824 is the same showing the Sep 29th day received, but the update date has changed a few times, once on Jan 31, then on Feb 20 - the day the visa was approved at the interview, and again on Feb 21.

I was misadvised to do the same by a CIS Customer Service representative, only my I824 involved resending my approved petition to the NVC, when in fact all I needed was a letter to my congressman to get everything back on track. It was amazing how quickly the $200 check was cashed and also how quickly I got action from the CIS after contacting my congressmen.

A bit of background info regarding the money/check cashing issue.

All petitions come into a centralized mail room at the NSC. Any monies attached to the petitions is immediately separated and locked away into the vault or repository where they keep the funds until a Brinks truck arrives at some point during the day. The mail room is a “secure” area and not accessible unless you work there (badge in and out etc..).

So, in case you are wondering, the adjudicator (or other staff) never handles any money. Once the application arrives in the mail room and the funds are removed, it goes to a central receiving/processing area where it is keyed/entered into the CIS system by contractor staff, placed into an A-File, assigned an A-number and corresponding bar code and placed on the shelf in the centralized storage area to await further processing. That’s why similar dates stay together because they are in-processed at the same time. Boxes of applications are withdrawn from storage on a first in first out basis, always working from oldest to newest.

The reason why it seems the checks are cashed before the petition is touched is because CIS deposits the checks and monies before a application is ever ready to be worked.

I hope that help to explain that.

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

I think Husker may have finally helped us end this loooooong VJ debate about including proof of an ongoing relationship with the I 129f petition. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems as if its not needed by the adjudicator to do his or her job.

Did I mis-state that, Husker, or would you agree?

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
I think Husker may have finally helped us end this loooooong VJ debate about including proof of an ongoing relationship with the I 129f petition. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems as if its not needed by the adjudicator to do his or her job.

Did I mis-state that, Husker, or would you agree?

Yes, either you misunderstood my comments or I did a poor job explaining it.

If you want to refer to it as a checklist of things that must accompnay a petition then call it that, but really it's a good working knowledge of the regulatory guidance as spelled out in 8 CFR which is our bible as Immigration Officers. Some have a written checklist at thier desks and some have it committed to memory. But we all know what "has" to be in the application packet at a minimum, for any petition. If a question arose we would consult the CFR.

So as to not confuse anyone, you must always provide what the petition is calling for or run the risk of not being approved or RFE'd. I would not approve a petition of any kind unless it had at least the minimum items required by the law. Thats just following the law I was working under. I think I would speak for other officers as well. If it doesn't meet the criteria set forth under the CFR, its a no-go.

Proof of relationship is a requirement and therefore you must provide the neccessary information to prove that. Don't leave it out!

What I was referring to was that I knew what required items I HAD to look at or HAD to be included in the packet to receive an approval stamp. Outside of the mandatory things the rest is considered supporting information. And while it may not be applicable to me and my small part of the approval process, it could be VERY relevant or even a required piece of information to the consular officer down the road at the Embassy or to someone else.

Its usually all relevant information to someone, but I would not focus on it because it was not relevant to my small part of the overall approval process. Thats what I meant to say... Does that help?

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
...bump...please PIN THIS!

HUSKER I think you are getting more than you bargained for! But those of us who have chewed our nails to the bone waiting are glad you are here to shed some light.

Now, my question :) Since Texas and Nebraska are no longer servicing I-129F's, it all seems to be going to California, with CSC now handling 3/4 of the work load and taking 2.5 monts minimum. Yet, Vermont has them cranked out in a few days sometimes. Why did TSC and NSC quit processing those apps, and why on Earth did they shovel all the work disproportionately to CSC?

Thanks for your insight.

Not a problem, I'm happy to share what Iknow.

As for your question - I don't have an answer for that. I would imagine some pinhead in Washington did that.

Then again you could always file a Congressional because those get pulled and worked right away. But you didn't hear that from me :whistle:

(usually)...

I knew it. ;)

All petitions come into a centralized mail room at the NSC. Any monies attached to the petitions is immediately separated and locked away into the vault or repository where they keep the funds until a Brinks truck arrives at some point during the day. The mail room is a “secure” area and not accessible unless you work there (badge in and out etc..).

So, in case you are wondering, the adjudicator (or other staff) never handles any money. Once the application arrives in the mail room and the funds are removed, it goes to a central receiving/processing area where it is keyed/entered into the CIS system by contractor staff, placed into an A-File, assigned an A-number and corresponding bar code and placed on the shelf in the centralized storage area to await further processing. That’s why similar dates stay together because they are in-processed at the same time. Boxes of applications are withdrawn from storage on a first in first out basis, always working from oldest to newest.

The reason why it seems the checks are cashed before the petition is touched is because CIS deposits the checks and monies before a application is ever ready to be worked.

Got it on the money, but....

what about the I824 issue - is it irrelevant to file? and I wasted $200?

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Timeline

Got it on the money, but....

what about the I824 issue - is it irrelevant to file? and I wasted $200?

I can't advise you on the I824 issue. Sorry.

Timeline

2/28/07 - Touch

6/6/07 - Touch

6/12/07 - Touch

6/13/07 - Touch

6/21/07 - Touch

6/28/07 - APPROVED !

I can't advise you on the I824 issue. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. Ok, let's forget my situation, and let me rephrase the question:

Does the use of the I824 ever help, speed up, or in any other way aid the process of an I-129/K-1 visa along any part of the process?

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Haven't read through all nine pages yet (but I will), so I'm sorry if this has been asked already, but one of the other questions we've had around here is whether the adjudicators knew about, or checked into, VisaJourney at all..... any comments there, Husker?

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Yes, either you misunderstood my comments or I did a poor job explaining it.

If you want to refer to it as a checklist of things that must accompnay a petition then call it that, but really it's a good working knowledge of the regulatory guidance as spelled out in 8 CFR which is our bible as Immigration Officers. Some have a written checklist at thier desks and some have it committed to memory. But we all know what "has" to be in the application packet at a minimum, for any petition. If a question arose we would consult the CFR.

So as to not confuse anyone, you must always provide what the petition is calling for or run the risk of not being approved or RFE'd. I would not approve a petition of any kind unless it had at least the minimum items required by the law. Thats just following the law I was working under. I think I would speak for other officers as well. If it doesn't meet the criteria set forth under the CFR, its a no-go.

Proof of relationship is a requirement and therefore you must provide the neccessary information to prove that. Don't leave it out!

What I was referring to was that I knew what required items I HAD to look at or HAD to be included in the packet to receive an approval stamp. Outside of the mandatory things the rest is considered supporting information. And while it may not be applicable to me and my small part of the approval process, it could be VERY relevant or even a required piece of information to the consular officer down the road at the Embassy or to someone else.

Its usually all relevant information to someone, but I would not focus on it because it was not relevant to my small part of the overall approval process. Thats what I meant to say... Does that help?

No worries - it was probably my NOA2-less addled brain not reading it right :D moreso than you being unclear.

I appreciate the clarification, and am suddenly glad that I included proof of an ongoing relationship (albeit not as much as AngelD seems to have sent!).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Husker, good luck to you on your application. I have a question for you.

In section 10 of the I-129F form I have currently marked "Naturalization". The problem is that it asks for the certificate number. I don't have this number currently because the first time I received it, I had sent it in to get my passport and they are supposed to return it to me. However, both the passport and the certificate were lost in the mail. I went to get my replacement passport and after much discussion and delay they were able to issue me a new passport. Since I had my passport I didn't pursue trying to get a new certificate.

I am aware that there is a form for a new certificate, but I didn't want to wait for that before I sent out my I-129F. Therefore, since the I-129F says that a copy of all pages of my passport is valid in place of the Naturalization Certificate, I decided to put "Copy of Passport is Attached" in that part of the form where it asks for the certificate.

Please advise if you think this is adequate or if I should have followed some other course of action. Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.