36 posts in this topic

My K-1 ends as of March 2nd.....I'm worried about filing the AOS papers by that time. Everything is good to go except the marriage licence. We are still waiting to receive that from Orange County. We had to wait 2 weeks before we could send for it and on top of that it takes 7-10 business days for them to mail it back to us. So my question is....if its not here in time...can we contact USCIS for an extension or do we just send our papers in and risk an RFE??? I don't even know if they give extensions? I mean would they understand since really we are someone else's mercy? I am still praying we receive the marriage certificate by Saturday. Hubby is going to call and find out where it is and explain that we need it right away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lifting of Conditions

*Sent form 05/15 to CA Service Center

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

*Notification of RFE acceptance 10/2009

*Interview Date: December 4th!

*January 9th: Received 10 year Green Card in the mail :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are fine, file AOS as soon as you are able to. As long as you marry within 90 days after entering, you can file AOS shortly thereafter.

K-1

09/14/05 sent in petition

12/20/05 case at CDJ

1/09/06 Had interview and placed on Administrative Processing/221(g) for 6 months.

07/06/06 Interview, Successful!!!

07/06/06 Fiance receives Visa and enters U.S.!

09/02/06 Wedding Day!

AOS

12/09/06 Mailed AOS package.

12/11/06 USCIS receives AOS package

12/14/06 NOA1

12/26/06 Rec'd Bio Letter

12/28/06 Rec'd email: Transferred to CSC!!!

12/31/06 *Touched*

01/02/07 Original Biometrics appt. (postponed)

01/05/07 Rec'd email: Case pending at CSC

01/08/07 Infopass for Biometrics *Touched*

01/09/07 Rec'd email Case transferred to CSC(again)

01/15/07 *Touched*

01/17/07 Received email case pending at CSC(again)

01/18/07 *Touched*

01/20/07 *Touched*

06/27/07 Letter welcoming new resident mailed!

07/02/07 Recv'd 2 yr conditional GC!

EAD

02/28/07 efiled

03/01/07 Rec'd at CSC, NOA1

03/01/07 mailed supporting documents to CSC

03/02/07 pending at CSC

03/05/07 Rec'd Bio Letter

03/13/07 *Touched*

03/16/07 Bio Appt. *Touched*

03/17/07 *Touched*

03/20/07 Rec'd approval email

03/23/07 EAD received!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do not need to worry about the expiry date of the K-1. As soon as you got married, the next step is to file AOS as soon as possible, but there's not really any cut and dry rule as to exactly how soon.

As soon as your marriage certificate comes, send in your AOS package and you will be just fine.

Good luck for a speedy approval.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

:blink::thumbs: Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that I did have to file before March 2nd!!!! I don't know what I would do without VJ...really I don't! I feel so relieved now! I have no idea why I thought I was under a 90 day limit to file for AOS but I'm glad that's not the case! Thanks again!

Lifting of Conditions

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

AFAIK, you will be technically out of status if you do not file for AOS within those 90 days. But nobody (including USCIS) seems to care.

Bartek

:blink::thumbs: Thanks everyone! I was under the impression that I did have to file before March 2nd!!!! I don't know what I would do without VJ...really I don't! I feel so relieved now! I have no idea why I thought I was under a 90 day limit to file for AOS but I'm glad that's not the case! Thanks again!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the point to file for AOS before the 90 days is up.... is because after the 90days you fall out of status, and if you file for AOS before 90days, you remain in status.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
AFAIK, you will be technically out of status if you do not file for AOS within those 90 days. But nobody (including USCIS) seems to care.

Bartek

Out of status does not equal illegal.

What they care about is that you entered the country legally and are not going to be a burden on public funds.

There in no law that says you must adjust it only states you should adjust.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

OK now I'm confused again...... Well I still plan on filing as close to my 90 day ending period as possible. USCIS would no doubt notice I hadn't filed a few weeks after or even a month but I would hope a few days wouldn't be caused for alarm. I know everything will work out ....I'm just nervous when it comes to dealing with a new government that I really know next to nothing about.

Lifting of Conditions

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the point to file for AOS before the 90 days is up.... is because after the 90days you fall out of status, and if you file for AOS before 90days, you remain in status.

The point is to get married within 90 days. Yep you are supposed to apply for AOS within 90 days as well, but it is much less critical.

Bartek

Timeline

The point is to get married within 90 days. Yep you are supposed to apply for AOS within 90 days as well, but it is much less critical.

Bartek

Wrong, very wrong

there is nothing that says you must adjust. You can remain in a non-status for all eternity.

Out of status does not equal illegal.

I believe it does.

There in no law that says you must adjust it only states you should adjust.

True, you do not have to adjust. You are free to get married and leave ;)

Wrong, very wrong

there is nothing that says you must adjust. You can remain in a non-status for all eternity.

One of us it wrong, and I am pretty damn sure it is not me...

Bartek

Edited by brtlmj

Timeline

We checked again and again with USCIS and attorney's.

There is no condition on the K-1 that states you must adjust and there is no time frame given.

It clearly states you should adjust.

Well I wish someone would tell me who is the wrong one?? I guess the safe thing to do is go look on the official USCIS website.

Lifting of Conditions

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.