8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hello,

We filed for AOS 2 months after getting married. Will we have an interview for this AOS, and another one after 2 years? For our first interview will they want to see evidence of our relationship, or is that for the second interview? Should we be taking pictures together, or are things like a joint back account, living together, etc. the kind of evidence they need?

I am just not clear what happens next. I am sending my AOS stuff in today, now we just wait for the biometrics appointment and then... we might or might not have an interview, and then at 2 years we will have another interview to remove conditions?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Please, make 2 more files for yourselves of the one that you are sending because they will probably ask for some of those papers again with first interview.

For second interview, probably they would want to see more evidence...

For this one I do have joint account, car insurance, pics, plane ticket, baby on the way:))...We will do more for 2nd one but for now, that's what I have to show them! Hope it helped.

Timeline

Please, make 2 more files for yourselves of the one that you are sending because they will probably ask for some of those papers again with first interview.

For second interview, probably they would want to see more evidence...

For this one I do have joint account, car insurance, pics, plane ticket, baby on the way:))...We will do more for 2nd one but for now, that's what I have to show them! Hope it helped.

Ok, well our lease agreement and pictures should be good. I wonder what kind of evidence we will need for the second interview. It is pretty frustrating that 50,000 people a year enter this country illegally and are basically given a free pass and immunity and the people doing it right have to prove to the government that we are really married. It really makes me angry sometimes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Don't be too hard on yourself and also before you get frustrated remember a green card is not a right but a privilege given to aliens to reside and work permanently in United States. Back on point when removing conditions on residency on 90 days prior to the expiration of the conditional green card an interview is not mandatory. USCIS conducts interviews on a very small fraction of cases around 5% or so as majority get approved without one. If by then you're still married, living with your spouse and send in solid evidence when you apply to remove conditions like you're submitting now at this adjustment phase, you should sail through comfortably and receive your 10 year card. If however you get divorced, separated and send in few you'll be highly subjected to an interview. The next evidence you'll be sending at that point will start from the moment you became a permanent resident as shown on your card. USCIS will need to see continuous proof of bona fide marriage especially financial and tax records showing co-mingling of resources to give you that 10 year card.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

We filed for AOS 2 months after getting married. Will we have an interview for this AOS, and another one after 2 years? For our first interview will they want to see evidence of our relationship, or is that for the second interview? Should we be taking pictures together, or are things like a joint back account, living together, etc. the kind of evidence they need?

I am just not clear what happens next. I am sending my AOS stuff in today, now we just wait for the biometrics appointment and then... we might or might not have an interview, and then at 2 years we will have another interview to remove conditions?

When adjusting from a K-1, you may not have an interview. You can check out the Progress Reports forum for topics about getting an interview waiver letter. It seems to be about a 50/50 chance.

If you have an interview, then you will just bring whatever evidence you have of co-mingling finances and co-habitation. They tend to understand that you do not have a lot of evidence when just married, but they may want to see some.

For ROC in 2 years, the chances of an interview are fairly low. Most are approved without one. You send all the evidence of co-mingling and co-habitation up front. It is required with the application. You will need plenty at that time.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

You're not always required to attend another interview for removal of conditions. In our case, we only had the one AOS interview and it lasted maybe 10 minutes. I was asked some questions that were on the forms and then we were asked there were other documents we'd like to submit in support of our application, I clarified with the interviewer if there was anything in particular he would like to see, and he said financial records, so I pulled out more bank account, mortgage information that were not in the original application (collected between application and interview date) and gave it to him and that was it.

The important thing at ROC is to have your documents in order, make sure they are clear and comprehensive.

Timeline

When adjusting from a K-1, you may not have an interview. You can check out the Progress Reports forum for topics about getting an interview waiver letter. It seems to be about a 50/50 chance.

If you have an interview, then you will just bring whatever evidence you have of co-mingling finances and co-habitation. They tend to understand that you do not have a lot of evidence when just married, but they may want to see some.

For ROC in 2 years, the chances of an interview are fairly low. Most are approved without one. You send all the evidence of co-mingling and co-habitation up front. It is required with the application. You will need plenty at that time.

Ok, judging from all the posts, I don't need to worry much and just give 'em what we have. Thank you!

Don't be too hard on yourself and also before you get frustrated remember a green card is not a right but a privilege given to aliens to reside and work permanently in United States. Back on point when removing conditions on residency on 90 days prior to the expiration of the conditional green card an interview is not mandatory. USCIS conducts interviews on a very small fraction of cases around 5% or so as majority get approved without one. If by then you're still married, living with your spouse and send in solid evidence when you apply to remove conditions like you're submitting now at this adjustment phase, you should sail through comfortably and receive your 10 year card. If however you get divorced, separated and send in few you'll be highly subjected to an interview. The next evidence you'll be sending at that point will start from the moment you became a permanent resident as shown on your card. USCIS will need to see continuous proof of bona fide marriage especially financial and tax records showing co-mingling of resources to give you that 10 year card.

After that, when can my wife become a real American Citizen? The good thing about becoming a citizen is you can commit crimes without being deported :rofl: ok ok just kidding.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Your wife can apply for naturalization 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of being a permanent resident as shown on the card provided she's been married for 3 years by then, still married and living with you at that point in time. As usual USCIS will still require proof of those annoying bona fide marriage like tax returns and co mingled financial documentation as you send in application.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.