V24

Submit I-693 with i-485 or at the interview?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey, everything i read online states the i-693 should be submitted with the i-485, for AOS on tourist visa. However, we got told to submit the medical during the interview? Would this not result in RFE? If they do accept it at the interview would it cause delays?

Filed: Timeline

For people who didn't know this:

As of June 1, medical examination reports (I-693) submitted by applicants in support of a benefit application will be only valid for one year from the time of the civil surgeon’s signature and submission to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In other words, the report must be submitted to USCIS within one year of the complete examination and the application must be adjudicated within one year after the date the report was submitted to USCIS. Medical exam reports are most commonly submitted in support of I-485 adjustment of status applications. Previously, since about 2002, USCIS had agreed to extend the validity of the civil surgeon’s I-693 endorsement until the time of adjudication, because of backlogs in certain preference categories. While the new policy means that some applicants must undergo another medical exam before their case is adjudicated, the good news is that medical examination forms will no longer be required as initial evidence and may be submitted at any time after filing the immigration benefit application but prior to adjudication. If the medical examination form is not filed concurrently, USCIS encourages applicants to wait until the medical examination form is requested by USCIS, either through the issuance of a Request for Evidence (RFE) or through a notice to bring a completed medical examination form to the interview. This policy change was made in response to concerns raised by the Centers for Disease Control.

In the meantime, and in anticipation of this policy change, USCIS has been sending RFEs to applicants notifying them that their medical reports filed in support of their adjustment applications are about to exceed the validity period. Moving forward, RFEs for new medical examinations will only be issued shortly before it is anticipated that the case can be adjudicated to completion.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey, everything i read online states the i-693 should be submitted with the i-485, for AOS on tourist visa. However, we got told to submit the medical during the interview? Would this not result in RFE? If they do accept it at the interview would it cause delays?

You submit the sealed envelope from your medical with your AOS application.

05-18-2022: Filed N-400 online. Received online NOA and Biometrics re-use.

06-03-2022: Interview scheduled (online notice).

06-10-2022: Interview letter received via USPS.

07-11-2022: Naturalization Interview

Click here for my full timeline of K1, AOS, ROC, and Naturalization
:time:--> http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Review pages 3, 4 of the I-485 instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Because you posted in this forum by mistake, I think people have been responding with info about adjusting from a K-1, not a tourist visa. They differ. For AOS from other visas that require the full medical and I-693, you can submit it with the I-485 or later.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-693

If you are applying for adjustment of status, you may submit Form I-693 in one of the following ways:

• Submit Form I-693 by mail, together with your Form I-485, Application to Register for Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to the location specified for your Form I-485 (see “Direct Filing Addresses for Form I-485”).
  • Submit Form I-693 by mail, after filing your Form I-485, to the location specified in your most recent communication with USCIS (for example, a Request for Evidence letter from USCIS).
  • Submit Form I-693 in person, at an interview in a USCIS field office (if an interview is required).

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to AOS from Work, Student & Tourist Visas ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.