Michael_88

K-1 Visa Consulate response?!!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Visa Journeyers!

My current situation is that my K-1 expires July 15,2015. Due to work/family obligations I may not be able to leave so soon. I contacted the consulate in Montreal and was given this response below in asking what steps to further take in terms of my options at this point.

The response below follows:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email!

If you choose to not use your visa by the expiry date, please send it back to the U.S Consulate General Montreal along with the sealed packet. We will forward it to a consular officer for review and will advise you on what steps to take next.

Secondly, please note that we cannot answer to hypothetical questions and cannot advise you on which choices you should make, the decisions are yours to make.

Best regards,

Now If I decide to not use it what would they do with the information/visa I send back? and what would they possibly advise me to do in terms of my next steps to take? Their response is a bit vague. Would it be a case where they will take the visa back and just send me an e-mail saying to just re- apply from scratch in a nice way? What is your take on the matter? because I don't know what more they could do in helping my situation. Answers would be appreciated, thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

You'd have to ask at the consulate. We can't accurately speculate.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

You ask for extension of u want more time.

U say ur k1 expires. U don't say if ur visa is issued already or ur in middle process of it?

My K-1 visa expires on July 15, 2015. I've already asked for an extension and they said it's not possible. After them telling me an extension is not possible I in turn asked what happens to the visa/packet I received from them? in terms of do I let it expire and can I travel to the U.S. after expiry etc. Now I'm getting this response which is kind of confusing.

Timeline

I'm leaning towards possibly still going to the U.S. on 07/15 but my fear is if I send the my passport/visa packet back to Montreal would they just cancel it or could they possibly still grant me an extension? The response I received gives me a little hope they may adjust it for me. Why else would they have to send it back for review?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

can shift a bit, wind up all of your affairs,

and cross the border on the 14th o July?

I would focus more on that, if'n I were in yer shoes. Seriously.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

You're right I agree. I'm I shouldn't take any chances and just go!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm leaning towards possibly still going to the U.S. on 07/15 but my fear is if I send the my passport/visa packet back to Montreal would they just cancel it or could they possibly still grant me an extension? The response I received gives me a little hope they may adjust it for me. Why else would they have to send it back for review?

Since the validity of the visa is depending on the medical exam I doubt they would grant you an extension. I don't want to speculate what they would possibly due but it would probably be a very bad idea to send it back.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yep! :thumbs:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

I agree with your statement. I think I'm just going to go before the visa expiry and handle my affairs here at home after I'm granted AP/EAD. I've already invested so much time/money to turn back now.

Since the validity of the visa is depending on the medical exam I doubt they would grant you an extension. I don't want to speculate what they would possibly due but it would probably be a very bad idea to send it back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.