chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Live in Aberdeen, Scotland with fog, cloud and just grayness (even the people are gray - I turned gray) for four years. Definitely defines the lower boundary of expectations in where to live.

K1 Timeline

November 21st 2013 - First Met

November 18th 2014 - I-129f Submitted

November 24th 2014 - NOA 1

May 22nd 2015 - NOA 2 - no RFE!

June 4th 2015 - Case Sent to NVC

June 6th 2015 - NVC receives case

June 15th 2015 - Case Sent to Embassy

June 16th 2015 - Phoned NVC and finally got case number (tried 12th June and had not been assigned)

June 16th 2015 - Medical booked

June 21st 2015 - Sent Packet "3" - DS 160 and readiness

June 25th 2015 - Embassy sends letter in receipt of receiving case

June 30th 2015 - Medical

July 28th 2015 - Interview - Approved!

August 3rd 2015 - Email request to collect from courier office (Went straight from "Ready" to "Issued" did not see AP in CEAC)

August 4th 2015 - Collected packet from Chancery Lane Courier Office

August 7th 2015 - Arrived in Houston and end of K1 journey :)

Adjustment of Status Timeline

August 10th 2015 - Applied for SSN, obtained SSN number next day

August 15th 2015 - SSN card arrived

August 20th 2015 - Married! :)

August 24th 2015 - sent packet to USCIS via FedEx [AOS, AP & EAD]

August 26th 2015 - packet received at USCIS

August 28th 2015 - NOA 1 for all three applications

September 15th 2015 - RFE - request 1040A, W2's was not enough

September 24th 2015 - Biometrics completed

September 28th 2015 - RFE response received by USCIS

October 27th 2015 - EAD approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Live in Aberdeen, Scotland with fog, cloud and just grayness (even the people are gray - I turned gray) for four years. Definitely defines the lower boundary of expectations in where to live.

Indeed!

Even the snakes I've encountered on my walks this week haven't made a Scottish "summer" sound vaguely appealing :D

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Except the Canadian winters suck big time! And they insist on speaking in French (at least in Quebec, the Canadian equivalent of Wales!) :P

I'll deal with the harsh winters vs. being shot ;). That's why we move to Toronto!

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

That awesome moment when USPS screws up and you have to arrange your EAD card to be redelivered through USCIS. :ranting:

Edited by -Shana-

I am the beneficiary

I'll deal with the harsh winters vs. being shot ;). That's why we move to Toronto!

It was a big enough process for us to get ONE visa so I could get to the USA to be with my partner. It will be another thing entirely for us as non Canadian citizens to get Canadian visas!

There's also a reason why we chose to move to Sarasota and not Miami!

That awesome moment when USPS screws up and you have to arrange your EAD card to be redelivered through USCIS. :ranting:

Sounds like they are related to the DX courier company that failed to deliver my visa the first time round...

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

It was a big enough process for us to get ONE visa so I could get to the USA to be with my partner. It will be another thing entirely for us as non Canadian citizens to get Canadian visas!

There's also a reason why we chose to move to Sarasota and not Miami!

Sounds like they are related to the DX courier company that failed to deliver my visa the first time round...

Haha, true, very true. I'm going to hope one day I'm rich enough to be considered valuable to live in Canada ;).

Gawd, we go through all this faff only to have the messenger pigeons screw up! Fingers crossed this time it gets here ok.

When are you off to the States?

I am the beneficiary

When are you off to the States?

My partner is from, and at this moment, lives in Ohio.

Within a few days of my arrival in the States, we are driving down to Sarasota, Florida, to look for (and ultimately buy) a house there. We both love the area, and as we both come from northern climates we want to get away from harsh winters. If we could afford to be snowbirds, maybe we could have a home in Toronto for the summer (a great city btw!)

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Thinking of applying for a capital one credit card to start building some credit history, I get the impression they give a card to anyone so might try my luck. However I really don't want to be declined considering it hurts your score. Husband just got his own with capital one, having lived abroad for 6 years he didn't have credit either so we're both trying to build it up from scratch.

My partner is from, and at this moment, lives in Ohio.

Within a few days of my arrival in the States, we are driving down to Sarasota, Florida, to look for (and ultimately buy) a house there. We both love the area, and as we both come from northern climates we want to get away from harsh winters. If we could afford to be snowbirds, maybe we could have a home in Toronto for the summer (a great city btw!)

Sounds like a plan, though what a shock to the system to arrive and then immediately begin house hunting! Hang in there :).

I am the beneficiary

Thinking of applying for a capital one credit card to start building some credit history, I get the impression they give a card to anyone so might try my luck. However I really don't want to be declined considering it hurts your score. Husband just got his own with capital one, having lived abroad for 6 years he didn't have credit either so we're both trying to build it up from scratch.

Sounds like a plan, though what a shock to the system to arrive and then immediately begin house hunting! Hang in there :).

My partner and I will have a joint account. He's going to get me my own bank card so I can get paying for stuff straight away.

With regards to house hunting, we actually started a year ago! Last summer we decided to look at potential places to live, and narrowed it down to two viable places - Charleston NC, and Sarasota FL. We visited both, and though the central part of Charleston was nice enough, once outside into the 'burbs it was just "Anywhereville, USA". After the recent tragic events there, we're kind of glad it didn't appeal over Sarasota. We looked at houses in both cities and felt that we'd get more for our money in Sarasota, plus the Florida lifestyle appeals more. As such, when I went over for Thanksgiving week last November we spent a couple more days house hunting. We already have a Realtor who set us up with a personal online web portal where we get sent new properties that we can view and then add to our "Favourites" or "Maybe" lists. As this has been an ongoing plan it won't be so much of a shock when I arrive, more an expected continuation. I'm more worried about the fact that after arriving my 'address' for the K1 Visa and AOS will virtually immediately become invalid than I am about finding a home!

Edited by ChasUno

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is a great thread. I'm not as far along as most of you as I don't have my K-1 yet (waiting on NOA2 any day now...) but I have spent long periods (6 months) in the US with only brief trips back home. I get a it fed up about not finding the exact foods I want and certainly notice how expensive it can be compared to the UK if you're one that buys the cheap basics. I don't want to talk about the chocolate situation because it is upsetting!!! And high-fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING (I have fructose intollerance which makes it a nightmare). I am pretty petrified about health care too. Being able to just go to the doctor when you really need to without having to think about whether you can afford to pay for it is certainly a blessing.

But there are some great things about the US that are certainly not in the UK. We love the outdoors and the weather is just incomparable to Northern England. The sun shines all the time in Virginia. We can drive to the mountains and walk for miles and miles on tiny trails surrounded by miles and miles of forest without signs and fences. We get two Christmas's with Thanksgiving! Fuel is cheaper so you can afford to take more trips out. There is real wilderness that is accessible - we lived in Scotland for a few years and got to go to some amazing places, but I've never been in a large forest in the UK or one that didn't feel manicured. You get much larger houses for your money compared to the UK. The weather is good enough to grow awesome vegetables and lots of them. Fruit tastes better. I can't wait to have a garden. Porches don't really exist in the UK, or at least sitting out each evening in perfect weather. Crickets sing in the summer and you can fall asleep listening to them.

I will miss pubs very very much (although local breweries are awesome!), and I will miss English Christmas's, but the latter is just sentimental and would happen if I were living anywhere that wasn't in the UK.

BTW, I'm in Canada right now, working up in the boreal forest. Oh. My. God. the mosquitoes!!!! and black flies!!! It's like something out of a horror movie. Absolutely beautiful place though, I saw a lynx the other day :D and raspberries and blueberries galore

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I am British and my husband is the USC and we've been living in the UK for 7 years now. We have applied for his British naturalisation so that is all going ahead (can take about 6 months) but we are planning to move back to California in the next couple of years as we have to sell our home and get everything in order. We will be DCF so hopefully that should be a smooth process. I've been a conditional permanent resident but we moved back just before that expired.

We still feel anxious about everything but have come up with a Pros and Cons list:

Pro USA

Outdoor lifestyle

Better food

High school/college opportunities for our children (they are still primary age)

family/friends

Community feel

Cons

Healthcare

Guns

My family

Starting over jobs, home, schools

It'll be difficult because I'm a teacher here and my husband is a social worker so we are pretty settled but we think it'll be worth it in the end.

Just thought I'd share my story because I'm sure I'll be on here asking questions pretty soon :-)

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

EAD Combo card received today! I have to double check with USCIS on Monday to see if arranging for a re-delivery messed it up in any way, but for all intensive purposes I'm able to work now :D. Woohoo!

This is a great thread. I'm not as far along as most of you as I don't have my K-1 yet (waiting on NOA2 any day now...) but I have spent long periods (6 months) in the US with only brief trips back home. I get a it fed up about not finding the exact foods I want and certainly notice how expensive it can be compared to the UK if you're one that buys the cheap basics. I don't want to talk about the chocolate situation because it is upsetting!!! And high-fructose corn syrup in EVERYTHING (I have fructose intollerance which makes it a nightmare). I am pretty petrified about health care too. Being able to just go to the doctor when you really need to without having to think about whether you can afford to pay for it is certainly a blessing.

But there are some great things about the US that are certainly not in the UK. We love the outdoors and the weather is just incomparable to Northern England. The sun shines all the time in Virginia. We can drive to the mountains and walk for miles and miles on tiny trails surrounded by miles and miles of forest without signs and fences. We get two Christmas's with Thanksgiving! Fuel is cheaper so you can afford to take more trips out. There is real wilderness that is accessible - we lived in Scotland for a few years and got to go to some amazing places, but I've never been in a large forest in the UK or one that didn't feel manicured. You get much larger houses for your money compared to the UK. The weather is good enough to grow awesome vegetables and lots of them. Fruit tastes better. I can't wait to have a garden. Porches don't really exist in the UK, or at least sitting out each evening in perfect weather. Crickets sing in the summer and you can fall asleep listening to them.

I will miss pubs very very much (although local breweries are awesome!), and I will miss English Christmas's, but the latter is just sentimental and would happen if I were living anywhere that wasn't in the UK.

BTW, I'm in Canada right now, working up in the boreal forest. Oh. My. God. the mosquitoes!!!! and black flies!!! It's like something out of a horror movie. Absolutely beautiful place though, I saw a lynx the other day :D and raspberries and blueberries galore

I'm the same, I'm gonna miss Christmas in the UK so much. It's my family's favourite time of year and I know that even though I'm sure it'll be great here it just won't be the same. Take care from those mosquitoes! They're little buggers for sure.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread! I am British and my husband is the USC and we've been living in the UK for 7 years now. We have applied for his British naturalisation so that is all going ahead (can take about 6 months) but we are planning to move back to California in the next couple of years as we have to sell our home and get everything in order. We will be DCF so hopefully that should be a smooth process. I've been a conditional permanent resident but we moved back just before that expired.

We still feel anxious about everything but have come up with a Pros and Cons list:

Pro USA

Outdoor lifestyle
Better food
High school/college opportunities for our children (they are still primary age)
family/friends
Community feel

Cons

Healthcare
Guns
My family
Starting over jobs, home, schools

It'll be difficult because I'm a teacher here and my husband is a social worker so we are pretty settled but we think it'll be worth it in the end.

Just thought I'd share my story because I'm sure I'll be on here asking questions pretty soon :-)

Your pros and cons list looks a lot like mine! It'll be a transition for sure, but if you feel it's the best thing for the both of you for your future then it'll make it easier. :)

I am the beneficiary

EAD Combo card received today! I have to double check with USCIS on Monday to see if arranging for a re-delivery messed it up in any way, but for all intensive purposes I'm able to work now :D. Woohoo!

I'm the same, I'm gonna miss Christmas in the UK so much. It's my family's favourite time of year and I know that even though I'm sure it'll be great here it just won't be the same. Take care from those mosquitoes! They're little buggers for sure.

Your pros and cons list looks a lot like mine! It'll be a transition for sure, but if you feel it's the best thing for the both of you for your future then it'll make it easier. :)

How did you manage to get your card on a Sunday??!

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

How did you manage to get your card on a Sunday??!

Whoops, I misspoke! I meant yesterday. The days are all blending together...

I am the beneficiary

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some movement on Kas' EAD/AP... we were approved today and they ordered card for production. Fantastic!!!

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.