chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Weak? Unbiased, so they probably didn't come across as opinionated with no agenda to push other that report the news.

That is exactly how I feel coming from British televised news (especially BBC News) to American televised news. UK news comes across as far more impartial, and their presenters ALLOW all guest speakers to have their say, and they challenge them in a much more civilised manner. Even the UK's Sky News, which is owned by Murdoch's News International Corp (who also own FOX), is a world apart from their American counterpart (maybe they realise that the Fox News style of reporting wouldn't be taken seriously in the UK?) As for presenters, the difference between the BBC's legendary Jeremy Paxman when compared with FOX's Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly is enormous. Some Fox News anchors seem to spend most of an interview shouting and yelling at their guests, and don't even give them a chance to put a point across. That's not news reporting to me, that's little more than bullying a personal stance onto someone and pandering to their viewing base by only telling them what they want to hear.

Of course, we do have biased news sources in the UK though those seem more to be the newspapers (The Daily Mail, The Daily Express, The Telegraph etc.) and as a result I rarely read them, preferring instead to get my news from multiple impartial sources.

Not taking a political side either way, though here's an interview between FOX's Hannity and Palestinian guest Yousef Munayyer showing everything I think is wrong with FOX's style of broadcasting. If you want to humiliate your guest because you believe they are wrong, let them speak and dig their own hole. Shout them down and don't let them speak, you just make yourself look the bigger idiot/ bully - in my opinion.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

Aah the daily mail. Summarised in this picture

yF2KB.jpg

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

MEGA LOL!!! - Shana! That's hilarious other than the fact it's pretty much true!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

MEGA LOL!!! - Shana! That's hilarious other than the fact it's pretty much true!

One other thing missing from that picture, they needed to put something about Madeline McCann...Or princess Diana.

I am the beneficiary

That is exactly how I feel coming from British televised news (especially BBC News) to American televised news. UK news comes across as far more impartial, and their presenters ALLOW all guest speakers to have their say, and they challenge them in a much more civilised manner.

Do they? That's one of my biggest gripes about BBC News. Granted it's nothing compared to Fox News (Although, like the Daily Mail there is good journalism in there amid the hysteria) but I don't think they do let guest speakers (especially politicians) speak without interrupting them.

Naturalization Timeline

N-400 app submitted/received: August 22, 2020

Biometric reuse notification: October 22, 2020

Interview Scheduled: November 5, 2020

Interview Date: December 7, 2020 - SUCCESS!

Oath Ceremony mistakenly scheduled (then descheduled!): December 8, 2020

Oath Ceremony Scheduled: December 9, 2020

Scheduled Oath Ceremony: January 8, 2021

ROC Timeline

I-797/NOA 1: January 12, 2018

Biometrics appointment: February 22, 2018

18-month I-797: August 10 2018

AOS Timeline

NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765: November 9, 2015

Biometrics appointment: December 2, 2015

RFE for I-485: December 3, 2015

EAD card and approval notice received: February 16, 2016

2-year conditional Green Card received: March 26, 2016

K-1 Timeline
NOA 1: December 8, 2014
NOA 2: June, 2015

Packet 3 received: July, 2015
Medical: August 12, 2015
Packet 4 received: September 23, 2015
Interview: September 25, 2015
Visa received: October 2, 2015

Just curious, for those of you who got your EAD already: about how long did the card take to arrive?

Gary's AP was approved on the 19th, and his EAD on the 20th. We haven't received a receipt yet, but I expect it to come tomorrow or so. He has a job interview tomorrow at 9am, and I am curious as to how long he would have to wait before he can actually go in to fill out his I-9. I am confident he will get this job, but nothing is certain.

Thanks!

Just curious, for those of you who got your EAD already: about how long did the card take to arrive?

Gary's AP was approved on the 19th, and his EAD on the 20th. We haven't received a receipt yet, but I expect it to come tomorrow or so. He has a job interview tomorrow at 9am, and I am curious as to how long he would have to wait before he can actually go in to fill out his I-9. I am confident he will get this job, but nothing is certain.

Thanks!

I couldn't say for certain, but I SHOULD have gotten mine within 5 business days of receiving the NOA2. But it got sent to the wrong post office *sigh*

I am the beneficiary

I couldn't say for certain, but I SHOULD have gotten mine within 5 business days of receiving the NOA2. But it got sent to the wrong post office *sigh*

Did the NOA2 arrive quickly?

Did the NOA2 arrive quickly?

4 days after my USCIS case status changed to issued. Check out my signature for all the dates.

I am the beneficiary

4 days after my USCIS case status changed to issued. Check out my signature for all the dates.

I had. The only dates on your EAD were approved and card received. Thanks.

Do they? That's one of my biggest gripes about BBC News. Granted it's nothing compared to Fox News (Although, like the Daily Mail there is good journalism in there amid the hysteria) but I don't think they do let guest speakers (especially politicians) speak without interrupting them.

The difference being, is that BBC news reporters/ interviewers only generally interrupt when the guest avoids answering a crucial question, or they use deflection techniques/ straw man fallacies when challenged. On BBC Question Time, it's generally the other guests that do the interrupting, with the compère (David Dimbley) often doing his best to keep the subject on track and to also keep the peace. In comparison to over here in the USA, the BBC presenters seem very civilised and reasonable, though as mentioned, some of the more extreme FOX news anchors seem to spend most of the time yelling at a guest and never giving them the remotest chance to speak (see video link above).

Edited by ChasUno

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Well yes, I think FOX News is a different beast. Talk Radio in the US is also much more confrontational than ours, too. It just seems to be the way and it matches the generally nastier way political races are fought over there - attack ads etc. being a case in point. I'm wouldn't be surprised if liberal news outlets are as aggressive as FOX are but towards the opposite end of the political spectrum.

Naturalization Timeline

ROC Timeline

AOS Timeline

K-1 Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Well yes, I think FOX News is a different beast. Talk Radio in the US is also much more confrontational than ours, too. It just seems to be the way and it matches the generally nastier way political races are fought over there - attack ads etc. being a case in point. I'm wouldn't be surprised if liberal news outlets are as aggressive as FOX are but towards the opposite end of the political spectrum.

Politics are much more partisan in the US indeed. If Trump gets elected I won't be staying!

My blog about my visa journey and adjusting to my new life in the US http://albiontoamerica.wordpress.com/

Politics are much more partisan in the US indeed. If Trump gets elected I won't be staying!

I think that's a bit much ;) He won't. I hope the Republicans pick a sensible candidate this time as I feel similarly about the prospect of President Clinton Mark II. Or President Sanders for that matter. He has some nice ideas but ultimately has a mindset which seems (at least from a cursory glance) anti-business and anti-entrepreneurial. He's the American Jeremy Corbyn.

Edited by swji89

Naturalization Timeline

ROC Timeline

AOS Timeline

K-1 Timeline

Sometimes I wonder why I stay here.

Politics are insanely polarized. Religion is rampant with the Christian right whimpering about war on Christianity, when they are the most privileged. The left don't appear to be able to put forward a competent or law abiding candidate.

A civilized people would be horrified about the number of guns in the hands of lawful and non-lawful citizens and would have a real handle on controlling gun crime. Local police forces would not be staffed trigger happy racists and there would be a cohesive organised health care system paid for by the people by a low tax. A nation that would care for its poor instead of one that only cares for the rich. It would have an education system that taught to the highest standards, creating scientists, doctors, leaders instead of citizens who can barely read at the age of 18

Come to think of it , America appears to be leading most of the Western world in a decline.

I hear the immediate cry of "If you hate America so much, why don't you leave".

The thing is, I don't hate this country.In fact, I love the place. I soon will be a citizen of the Unite States. I want to vote. I want my say. I want to be here so that I can in some small way make this country as great as it thinks it is. I want the freedoms and dreams that this country offers.

E pluribus unum.

Mainly though, I stay for the beer,

Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.