chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Finally some movement on Kas' EAD/AP... we were approved today and they ordered card for production. Fantastic!!!

Woohoo!! I bet he's thrilled!

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Woohoo!! I bet he's thrilled!

He sure is, do you know if we need to go to social security office and get a new card?

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

He sure is, do you know if we need to go to social security office and get a new card?

Chris, you can go in with the update and a new SS card will be issued, taking off the "valid for work only with..."

It Isn't necessary to do it. You could wait until he gets permanent residence and update then. I will caution you that his new EAD status has to be found in the SAVE database to verify with USCIS and it isn't an instant thing. They told us (went after naturalization to update) that it can take two weeks. It had only been maybe nine days since his naturalization ceremony, but SS did find the record so no trip back. So just sayin' allow enough time.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Chris, you can go in with the update and a new SS card will be issued, taking off the "valid for work only with..."

It Isn't necessary to do it. You could wait until he gets permanent residence and update then. I will caution you that his new EAD status has to be found in the SAVE database to verify with USCIS and it isn't an instant thing. They told us (went after naturalization to update) that it can take two weeks. It had only been maybe nine days since his naturalization ceremony, but SS did find the record so no trip back. So just sayin' allow enough time.

Thank you. Would you wager a guess that the two weeks (guesstimate) that it takes to receive the card would allow enough time for him to show up in the system? He is going to go back home for a quick visit before he starts working, too.

-Christopher (P/USC)

Removal of Conditions Timeline

• 11 SEPTEMBER 2017 (MONDAY) - FILE I-751 TO CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER

Huh I had no idea about the SSN thing...

Anyone have any good ideas on how to say "I can work here legally I promise" on a Resume? I'm having a hard time trying to word it...

I am the beneficiary

Huh I had no idea about the SSN thing...

Anyone have any good ideas on how to say "I can work here legally I promise" on a Resume? I'm having a hard time trying to word it...

"Authorized to work in the USA" or "USA work authorization"?

"Authorized to work in the USA" or "USA work authorization"?

At the moment I have "I moved to Colorado from England in April 2015 and I have full working authorization from the U.S Citizen and Immigration Services."

I am the beneficiary

At the moment I have "I moved to Colorado from England in April 2015 and I have full working authorization from the U.S Citizen and Immigration Services."

Is this a cover letter? Doesn't sound resume appropriate somehow. Don't use the first person "I" in the resume.

No to "working" authorization. What Owen said.

No to "Citizen". The name is U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Is this a cover letter? Doesn't sound resume appropriate somehow. Don't use the first person "I" in the resume.

No to "working" authorization. What Owen said.

No to "Citizen". The name is U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services

What's wrong with using the first person in a resume? I've basically been using the same format of resume for 9 years and no one has said anything about it being first person.

So it should be authorized to work in the US, right?

Edited by -Shana-

I am the beneficiary

What's wrong with using the first person in a resume? I've basically been using the same format of resume for 9 years and no one has said anything about it being first person.

So it should be authorized to work in the US, right?

An American resume is different than what you are used to. It's all bullet points and action verbs. There is no "I", "me" personal pronouns or hobbies and leisure time activities.

There are lots of formats or sections depending on what kind of job you are looking for and what skills you have. You could have several versions depending on the job you are applying for. Build it to suit your strengths. If a job requires a degree, then an education section for sure. If you have no degree, then don't list things that won't be understood like GCSEs. Leave off the education section and emphasize experience or skills.

Here's a couple of examples below. If you start with a Qualifications section, one of your bullet points could be

-Colorado resident authorized to work in the United States

Let's them know you are not still abroad hoping for a work visa. Your address should tell them that, but an idea.

Or

-British immigrant authorized to work in the United States.

I will have to think of my favorite way to say that

Then notice the action verbs describing experience

Created

Served as team leader for

Organized

Supervised

Provided customer service for

Managed

Developed

Resumes

http://www.careerperfect.com/content/images/examples/nursing-sample-resume.gif

http://www.clarkson.edu/writingcenter/images/Senior_CS_Resume.jpg

http://susanireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Chronological-Resume-Sample-Administrative-Assistant-cSusanIreland.png

http://susanireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Chronological-Resume-Example-Editing-cSusanIreland.png

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

An American resume is different than what you are used to. It's all bullet points and action verbs. There is no "I", "me" personal pronouns or hobbies and leisure time activities.

There are lots of formats or sections depending on what kind of job you are looking for and what skills you have. You could have several versions depending on the job you are applying for. Build it to suit your strengths. If a job requires a degree, then an education section for sure. If you have no degree, then don't list things that won't be understood like GCSEs. Leave off the education section and emphasize experience or skills.

Here's a couple of examples below. If you start with a Qualifications section, one of your bullet points could be

-Colorado resident authorized to work in the United States

Let's them know you are not still abroad hoping for a work visa. Your address should tell them that, but an idea.

Or

-British immigrant authorized to work in the United States.

I will have to think of my favorite way to say that

Then notice the action verbs describing experience

Created

Served as team leader for

Organized

Supervised

Provided customer service for

Managed

Developed

Resumes

http://www.careerperfect.com/content/images/examples/nursing-sample-resume.gif

http://www.clarkson.edu/writingcenter/images/Senior_CS_Resume.jpg

http://susanireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Chronological-Resume-Sample-Administrative-Assistant-cSusanIreland.png

http://susanireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Chronological-Resume-Example-Editing-cSusanIreland.png

Thank you for such a detailed response! I've got some studying to do. :)

I am the beneficiary

In my view, the optimal style for a UK curriculum vitae has been similar to a US resume for decades, but it's taken a long time for the older, more wordy, styles to be replaced. My US resume is very similar in style to the UK CV that I used last time I changed company in 2002. If anything, the current version is less sparsely laid out since I let a recruiter make changes to it, a month ago.

Been working on updating my CV to meet with the examples that Nich provided (cheers, again). Still unsure on where to put that I'm a resident able to work. I'm tempted to make a section to communicate this point.

Also, I'm unsure on how to "translate" my degree grades into the GPA format that an employer would understand. Will have to do some Googling, but if anyone is aware of this then any input is appreciated.

Edit: Just as I wrote that I found this entry on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification#International_comparisons

Edited by -Shana-

I am the beneficiary

Been working on updating my CV to meet with the examples that Nich provided (cheers, again). Still unsure on where to put that I'm a resident able to work. I'm tempted to make a section to communicate this point.

Also, I'm unsure on how to "translate" my degree grades into the GPA format that an employer would understand. Will have to do some Googling, but if anyone is aware of this then any input is appreciated.

Edit: Just as I wrote that I found this entry on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification#International_comparisons

I don't think you need your GPA on a resume, especially if you aren't seeking your first ever job out of university. Are you fresh out of school with no work experience to emphasize?

After writing that, I decided to check with my daughter who did a stint in recruiting and HR management in charge of all of mid-America for a large company ('cause what do I know, I'm just a Mom.)

Texts as follows:

Need your HR expertise. What do think about putting GPA on a resume?

For what type of person? High school? College? Adult?

Adult, I think. British. Don't actually know her.

No. If in college and applying for jobs I would say maybe because companies like Deloitte have GPA cut offs. But for an adult, no. GPA on resume only for students or new grads

Yay me. I'm on the right track. Mom has still got it.

Sometimes.......

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

I don't think you need your GPA on a resume, especially if you aren't seeking your first ever job out of university. Are you fresh out of school with no work experience to emphasize?

After writing that, I decided to check with my daughter who did a stint in recruiting and HR management in charge of all of mid-America for a large company ('cause what do I know, I'm just a Mom.)

Texts as follows:

Need your HR expertise. What do think about putting GPA on a resume?

For what type of person? High school? College? Adult?

Adult, I think. British. Don't actually know her.

No. If in college and applying for jobs I would say maybe because companies like Deloitte have GPA cut offs. But for an adult, no. GPA on resume only for students or new grads

Yay me. I'm on the right track. Mom has still got it.

Sometimes.......

I have an education section right at the bottom to clarify I have a degree/got good grades during high school and college. I wanted to briefly explain what a 1:1 meant in America so I just put a GPA equivalent in brackets. I've got work experience in administration that I emphasize at the beginning of the resume. If an employer makes it to the bottom then they can read about my education! Thanks for checking with your daughter :)

(I'm a 26 year old adult with the soul of a child, now you know me a little better :P )

I am the beneficiary

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.