chrismorrison

Post Embassy Drama, UK VJer 'Life In The USA' Edition.

301 posts in this topic

Once you have a card it is used to get back in the country over and over if needed. No permission per trip. Travel to Cuba is still an iffy subject, is it not?

Yes, we wondered if travel to Cuba might be an issue, though as Embassies have now been opened up in both Cuba and the USA and relations restored then technically all should be fine. We both want to visit there soon whilst it is still uniquely Cuba, before it likely gets overrun by globalisation and becomes just another string of global corporations, and a sea of Starbucks, McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc.

I'll be travelling on a British passport, and there are no restrictions on travel to Cuba for UK passport holders. US travellers I *think* still need to acquire a visa first. We've also looked at the cost of going along with the choir trip in January vs just booking an independent trip ourselves, and it's MUCH cheaper to go on our own. Maybe we'll just wait until I get AOS and the green card, then there should be no issues.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Interview - 11/03/2022 (Passed!)

Oath Ceremony - 11/08/2022

We checked "legal alien not allowed to work", though apparently the SSA agent told us that according to their records I AM allowed to work. I think this is because unlike the ESTA, which clearly states the holder is NOT allowed to work, a K1 once adjusted status to LPR can work and doesn't have a specific restriction on their visa. But I still need to apply for and get the EAD first before taking employment.

I'm still waiting for my SSN too, after over two weeks since applying. Just rang the SSA earlier today and they said it might take up to 4 weeks before I get it, apparently because it's my first application and I'm not (yet) a permanent resident. They said they had to send the info. to DHS first for clearance, and once they get it back they will issue me with a card and number.

Went to the SSA office today, armed with everything including that SSA website printout. The woman was briefly confused if he was eligible to obtain one without an EAD, so I pulled out the print out. This seemed to clarify it for her. ;)

Otherwise it was painless and she seemed to find him in the database. The printout she gave us did mention he was work eligible! Said it should come in two weeks. So we'll see eh?

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Otherwise it was painless and she seemed to find him in the database. The printout she gave us did mention he was work eligible! Said it should come in two weeks. So we'll see eh?

Apparently it will say work eligible, though I understand from Nich-Nick that us K1's still need an approved EAD or LPR before we are officially allowed to work.

They told me two weeks also. Rang the SSA the other day as we're now coming up to three weeks, and they told us we may have to wait up to 4 weeks. Hope to get it soon as I need the SSN to finish completing my AOS documents! Hope yours turns up soon also.

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

The card will be stamped --"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION."

Your authorization comes from Dept of Homeland Security (USCIS). It is an EAD CARD.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I was starting to get worried when I wasn't hearing any responses to my job applications, but I have a phone interview next week! I don't like getting my hopes up but at least it's a start :).

Any Brits reading - did you state that you were British in your Resume or cover letter? If so, where and how? Would love some insight into this.

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have another few months before I can make the move to the States, but I just want to say how great the majority of this thread is. I started reading it and saw a couple of posts that gave me the jitters (the 'what have I done' response, and one poster who seemed to hate everything) but carrying on I remembered all the reasons ,apart from the obvious one, that I'm excited about going. I'm still worried about healthcare, and Tina's still worried I'll miss my paid holiday entitlement (possibly a valid point) but they seem pretty practical things and manageable. I like how most people's issues on this thread seem to revolve around food or the news, and nothing extremely major like not fitting in or being cripplingly homesick.

Looking forward to adding something here in not too long.

June 11th 2015 - NOA1. off to California Service Center :D

July 27th - NOA2 !!! much faster than expected

August 19th - rang NVC, got LND case number and told our file is 'about to go to London'

August 20th - booked medical at Knightsbridge for September 16th, 10:10am. Feels good.

September 1st - rearranged medical for October 5th, 13:30, because reasons.

September 4th - packet 3 received.

October 5th - medical completed at Knightsbridge. X-ray technician suggested playing Barry White during the procedure.

November 12th - visa interview. Nailed it!

November 20th - collected visa package from DX Southampton

December 6th - one way flight to Philadelphia!

December 31st - getting married! :wow:

NOA1 to Interview: 5 months and 1 day.

Hi there.

longdistancelovesongs.wordpress.com

https://instagram.com/jonathan9six

https://instagram.com/moose9six

https://twitter.com/Jonathan9six

I have another few months before I can make the move to the States, but I just want to say how great the majority of this thread is. I started reading it and saw a couple of posts that gave me the jitters (the 'what have I done' response, and one poster who seemed to hate everything) but carrying on I remembered all the reasons ,apart from the obvious one, that I'm excited about going. I'm still worried about healthcare, and Tina's still worried I'll miss my paid holiday entitlement (possibly a valid point) but they seem pretty practical things and manageable. I like how most people's issues on this thread seem to revolve around food or the news, and nothing extremely major like not fitting in or being cripplingly homesick.

Ultimately, that's it, good post.

I think getting the logistical things sorted as soon as possible will help with the homesickness in one way, and I'm nervous about all of that too. I'm looking forward to when it's 'normal' for me to be there.

Naturalization Timeline

N-400 app submitted/received: August 22, 2020

Biometric reuse notification: October 22, 2020

Interview Scheduled: November 5, 2020

Interview Date: December 7, 2020 - SUCCESS!

Oath Ceremony mistakenly scheduled (then descheduled!): December 8, 2020

Oath Ceremony Scheduled: December 9, 2020

Scheduled Oath Ceremony: January 8, 2021

ROC Timeline

I-797/NOA 1: January 12, 2018

Biometrics appointment: February 22, 2018

18-month I-797: August 10 2018

AOS Timeline

NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765: November 9, 2015

Biometrics appointment: December 2, 2015

RFE for I-485: December 3, 2015

EAD card and approval notice received: February 16, 2016

2-year conditional Green Card received: March 26, 2016

K-1 Timeline
NOA 1: December 8, 2014
NOA 2: June, 2015

Packet 3 received: July, 2015
Medical: August 12, 2015
Packet 4 received: September 23, 2015
Interview: September 25, 2015
Visa received: October 2, 2015

No regrets here whatsoever with making the move. OK, so I've only been here a month and there's still much to do in terms of settling in (we haven't even moved into our new home yet!) Even so, other than family and friends I'm not missing much from back home. I guess in mine (our) circumstances, the fact that we've been dating for over four years and that I have been travelling back and forwards to the USA for the past 15 years means it feels like a home from home for me. That made a big difference to adjusting.

Having a strong relationship with my partner and a strong familiarity with the USA made the transition from the UK to the USA very easy. I'm also well aware of the differences that can make it a bit of a shock (healthcare, paid vacation time, food, poor driving standards(!) etc.) so again, it's not as if any of this is a leap into the unknown.

About the only thing I'm missing is most of my musical equipment, as not having a home to move into (yet) meant that all my gear is back home in the UK and can't be shipped over until next year. That will happen when I get my EAD/ AP card, then I can pop back to the UK and arrange my stuff to be shipped over.

Until then, I have to play "air guitar"!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

The card will be stamped --"VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION."

Your authorization comes from Dept of Homeland Security (USCIS). It is an EAD CARD.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And so it was Nich-Nick! He was quite chuffed with himself. His first piece of 'American' mail arrived today with his SSN. I don't know if it mattered that we waited two weeks before going in, but it certainly arrived very fast for sure and no fuss about needing to wait longer.

Does anyone know what the best timeframe would be to head to the DMV for a DL? When you have an EAD or when you have a GC? He currently just has his UK license, but he's been driving like a pro here for years now when he visits. I know he'll pass with flying colors. Think he was ready to do cartwheels when he saw how cheap gas is these days.

I think he's adjusting to life here very well. He has his gaming rig to keep him busy, and my cooking to keep him happy. His family is flying in for the wedding in a few days. :)

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Does anyone know what the best timeframe would be to head to the DMV for a DL? When you have an EAD or when you have a GC? He currently just has his UK license, but he's been driving like a pro here for years now when he visits. I know he'll pass with flying colors. Think he was ready to do cartwheels when he saw how cheap gas is these days.

I think he's adjusting to life here very well. He has his gaming rig to keep him busy, and my cooking to keep him happy. His family is flying in for the wedding in a few days. :)

Every state is different because DL is a state thing. In general most need to have documentation that you are legal in the US and for how long. A K1 visa is over the day it is used so gives no continuing authorization like for example a student visa. . A K1 has 90 days on the I-94. Beyond that, you have nothing to show so if you got a license, it would expire on day 90 after POE.

EAD gives you one year and has an expiration date...good until xxxxxx. So EAD gets a one year license in most states. Well, I mean the driver license would be issued to expire the same day as EAD. Check with your state driver license website because there are differences. My explanation is just generic for why it is usually EAD before a K1 can get a license.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Been away for a week as me and my other half went back up to Ohio to collect some of his stuff, and also because he had some prior engagements that he made before he left the state to come south to Florida.

During that time my Social Security card/ number arrived via post. It said it was issued on 9/11/15, so I assume it must have arrived shortly after we left FL for Ohio. All in, it too approx. 3 weeks or so to arrive.

One more check box ticked!

N400 Naturalization

Applied - 07/21/2022

NOA - 07/21/2022

Biometrics - Re-used

Once more unto the breach dear friends, once more; Or close up the wall with our English dead......errrrrrrrmmm

Fear not the jitters and worry not what have I done. The US and UK is truly two nations divided by a common language. Even though your senses have been assaulted by American culture on television and McDonald's has taken over the UK there is quite a gulf. In saying all that, embrace your American cousins strange ways of doing things. Re-learn how to spell. Let your palette adjust to American tastes.

As for paid vacation days (see what I did there), it really depends on your employer and the type of work you do.

I work in local government, so we generally follow how the federal government does it. I earn seven hours of paid time off for every two weeks worked. This increases with my years of service. Healthcare is subsidized by my employer. Also remember you are entitled to get tax credit through the Affordable Care Act (setting aside any political view you may have on this) if your employer doesn't do health insurance.Whereas if you work in a dead end job on minimum wage, paid time off is a pipe dream.

Believe me you will adjust and in about 5 years you could be a US citizen.

Good luck

Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'
Edited by 2ndMessiah

Thank you, goodnight and may your gods go with you",

Dave Allen.

Just wondering, how long did you guys and gals wait before applying for your SSN?

The guide says to wait two weeks, but I just find myself dwindling my thumbs, sitting around with nothing to do while my fiancee is at work. I can't drive (yet) and theres nothing within walking distance, so I'm stuck with re-runs of "Pawn Stars" and "Cops".

Just wondering, how long did you guys and gals wait before applying for your SSN?

The guide says to wait two weeks, but I just find myself dwindling my thumbs, sitting around with nothing to do while my fiancee is at work. I can't drive (yet) and theres nothing within walking distance, so I'm stuck with re-runs of "Pawn Stars" and "Cops".

Two weeks was when we filled out arrival card on the plane (I-94) and somebody from POE had to turn in the card to be manually entered into the SAVE database. The I-94 is automated now. Go whenever you want, but how will you get to the SSA office?

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Oh, HAHA! :lol: I guess I'll go tomorrow then! (My fiancee is off, she can drive me)

Also, I check "Legal Alien allowed to work", right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.