rnab32

Received my RFE today

39 posts in this topic

Circumstances of Meeting

Submit information regarding the circumstances under which you and beneficiary met to establish the relationship. If you met online, submit the name of the website in which you met.

In my original I-129 submission, I only explained and provided proof of meeting in the last two years as that is the only requirement of the petition. I left out how our relationship was established as suggested by multiple members on VJ as that isn't a requirement and it could lead to RFEs that ask for proof that the dating site you met on is not an International Marriage Broker. Lesson learned I'd like to pass on...you need to describe how your relationship was established.

Anyways to satisfy the RFE, I will...

1) Write a statement saying my fiancee and I met on filipinocupid.com back in May of 2012, met in person on my trip to the Philippines on July of 2012, officially became a couple on my next trip to visit her in November of 2012 along with a brief statement of how we continued our relationship by keeping in constant contact along with me visiting her twice a year for a total of 7 times.

2) Provide proof that filipinocupid.com is not an IMB by printing out their terms of use along with an email reply from their Customer Service Team stating that they are exempt from being classified as an IMB per section 4 (B) ii of IMBRA.

Questions...

1) Is that sufficient?

2) Do I need to provide proof of meeting online?

3) Do I need to provide a cover page when sending back the RFE?

4) If the paperwork I send back doesn't fit in the return envelope they provided, could I send it back in a bigger envelope addressed to that same return address?

Thanks in advance!

ROC:

7/2/18 - ROC packet (I-751) sent

7/5/18 - USCIS CSC received

7/13/18 - NOA (I-797) notice date

7/17/18 - $680 check cashed

7/20/18 - NOA (I-797) received

3/11/19 - Biometrics reused

6/4/19 - Case transferred to Potomac Service Center  

10/9/19 - New Card Is Being Produced / Approved

10/11/19 - Card Was Mailed To Me

10/12/19 - Approval Notice received

10/17/19 - 10-yr Green Card received

I the event the USCIS makes me prove that the dating site (filipinocupid.com) I met my fiancee is not an IMB, I went ahead and emailed their customer service team and received this reply:

---

Dear member,

Thank you for contacting us.

Please be advised that section 4 (B) (ii) of IMBRA exempts dating
companies whose principal business is not to provide dating services
between US citizens and foreign nationals so long as it charges
comparable rates and offers comparable services to all individuals
regardless of gender or country of citizenship. Consequently our
company is exempt as it falls within this exemption (as do many other
large dating companies).

However, as a service to our members, we provide an optional form to
all our websites for US residents to complete the required IMBRA
background information. The completed form may be printed from our
website if desired. This ensures we are complying with the legislation
and will also assist our members who wish to apply for USA K non-
immigrant visa in future.

Full information regarding IMBRA can be found at
http://usaimmigrationattorney.com/images/IMBRA2005.pdf

team@FilipinoCupid.com

-------------------------------
original message
-------------------------------

Hello FilipinoCupid Team,
I met my fiancee on your site back in 2012 and I am currently applying
for a K1 Fiancee Visa for her. The USCIS may ask for proof that your
site is NOT an International Marriage Broker (IMB) and I hoping you can
provide me that proof so that I can pass that on to the USCIS?

Thanks.

-----

1) I'm not very versed in law terminology, but does the first paragraph mean that they are exempt from being classified as an IMB per section 4 (B) ii of IMBRA?

2) Do I need to fill out that optional IMBRA background information they mention in the second paragraph and provide that to USCIS along with this email? It seems like this background information is only relevant if I were to meet someone on the site in the future and not relevant to my fiancee who I met on the site back in 2012 when the site didn't provide the option to provide my background information.

Thanks in advance!

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I knew these sites existed. But, I had never heard of them being called IMB before. Is "Facebook"..,.,., just wondering.

If there is no IMB, then I see nothing wrong, with meeting some one on a site like I have met several ladies in the Philippines, and talked to many times. (CherryBlossoms.com)

I personally, think this means nothing, but you sure came up with some good evidence, if it ever became an issue.

I would just tell the truth, we met on a web site, then we met face to face and spent time together.,.,.,.,.,,..,.,. and so on!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to IMBRA Special Topics Forum~

~Inquiry about possible IMBRA topic~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I met my fiancé through asiandating.com which I believe is the same company that owns filipinocupid.com. I looked into this very thing before I applied for K1 visa. I took the first paragraph to mean they charge the same membership fee for all of it's member regardless of the country they are in. It's been a while since I did my research but from what I recall an IMB only charges US citizens a fee to match them with people from other countries. Basically charging only US Citizens for the service and not anyone else. So since Asian Dating charges the same fee regardless of country of origin, they are exempt.

Like I said, it's been a while since I did my research but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying. In other words, you should be fine.

Thanks raven!

I just want to be prepare because a lot of VJ members are getting RFEs asking them to prove the dating sites they used to meet their fiancee is not an IMB. I am printing out the site's Terms Of Use along with the email in my original post to send to the USCIS.

I met my fiancé through asiandating.com which I believe is the same company that owns filipinocupid.com. I looked into this very thing before I applied for K1 visa. I took the first paragraph to mean they charge the same membership fee for all of it's member regardless of the country they are in. It's been a while since I did my research but from what I recall an IMB only charges US citizens a fee to match them with people from other countries. Basically charging only US Citizens for the service and not anyone else. So since Asian Dating charges the same fee regardless of country of origin, they are exempt.

Like I said, it's been a while since I did my research but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying. In other words, you should be fine.

Thanks ch3john! Your clarification is helpful and puts me at ease.

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

What you have come up with is excellent proof, at least to my meager mind, that you did not have anything to do with an IMB.

I think you did a nice job!

Smartest move is not mentioning first contact was on a dating site, just use the term INTERNET

Hank,

In my original I-129F submission, I didn't even mention how our relationship was established as suggested by several VJ members and I still got the following RFE:

Circumstances of Meeting

Submit information regarding the circumstances under which you and beneficiary met to establish the relationship. If you met online, submit the name of the website in which you met.

My post regarding my RFE here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/553690-received-my-rfe-today/

ROC:

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

New people at that Nebraska center being extra picky.

It is well established that filipinacupid is not a marriage broker yet that keep hammering that RFE to prove that point.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

What you have come up with is excellent proof, at least to my meager mind, that you did not have anything to do with an IMB.

I think you did a nice job!

Thanks raven!

I'm still hoping someone has a response to question 2) from my original post though:

2) Do I need to fill out that optional IMBRA background information they mention in the second paragraph and provide that to USCIS along with this email? It seems like this background information is only relevant if I were to meet someone on the site in the future and not relevant to my fiancee who I met on the site back in 2012 when the site didn't provide the option to provide my background information.

I'm afraid if the USCIS sees that part of the email, they will demand the background information, but I would be filling it out AFTER I have met my fiancee, not before.

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the IMBRA subforum and merged with OP's thread there.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I would not fill out the form and delete that part from the email.

Thanks ch3john, I was thinking that too.

I'm not very computer savvy so how would I delete that part before printing out the email? Yahoo mail won't just let me delete that part.

Would I copy the thread to a word doc, delete the part and print it? Would the USCIS be suspicious that the email was altered if it was in a word doc though?

Thanks.

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.