theuniverse

U.S consulate is requesting additional sponsor for no good reason.

31 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just go to the interview even without the new i864. He can submit it after the interview anyway. He will just get a 221g for it.

There's an ongoing technical issue with visa printing all over the world so delay is inevitable.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what happen to my mom at her interview in Manila the consulate ask for i-864a because my BF is my co sponsor which were not married and ask for another sponsor! My income is 35,000$ enough for 4 people but they were asking for I-864a it's a nightmare.

This is what happen to my mom at her interview in Manila the consulate ask for i-864a because my BF is my co sponsor which were not married and ask for another sponsor! My income is 35,000$ enough for 4 people but they were asking for I-864a it's a nightmare.

Good to know I'm not alone in this :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

If you don't have the docs by then, go to the interview and you'll get a yellow 221(g) - as stated above.

Filed I-129F: 3 November 2014 (CSC)

NOA 1: 20 November 2014

NOA 2: 2 February 2015

Consulate Notification: 8 April 2015

Consular Interview: 19 May 2015
Medical: 20 May 2015
Administrative Processing: 20 May - ???

GLOBAL VISA SHUTDOWN: 9 June 2015
Advised approved for issuance: 24 June 2015
Requested re-validated I-129F (expired during shutdown): 24 June 2015
Advised I-129F revalidation received: 30 June 2015
Administrative Processing: 30 June 2015

Visa Issued: 13 JULY 2015
USA POE: 24 OCT 2015

Not for joint sponsor, I understand that. My mom and I live in the same household so in this case with an I-864A I was able to combine the income of both, but that doesn't answer what i'm asking in the original post.

Same household but did you two file tax jointly? I highly doubt it. You are misunderstanding I-864A.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Same household but did you two file tax jointly? I highly doubt it. You are misunderstanding I-864A.

So if same household=filing jointly only, then I guess it was a complete waste of time and effort for me :(

Edited by theuniverse

If you don't have the docs by then, go to the interview and you'll get a yellow 221(g) - as stated above.

Problem is the consulate's representative sent my dad an e-mail telling him what documents need to be scanned and emailed back, and told him if all required documents are not scanned and emailed by the 24th, they will just reschedule the interview. growing up as a kid in costa rica now I have nothing but contempt for the bureaucrats from there.

Yes same household, but she has her own tax, you have your own tax, you can not combine income with I-864A. She needs to do I-864 as joint sponsor.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

$45,000 for 4 people in the Northeast means you are barely scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck.

I can understand why they would want more financial backing

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf says that is not the main legal reason and you are just trolling. thank you.

Edited by theuniverse

Filed: Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf says that is not the main legal reason and you are just trolling. thank you.

those are just guidelines. The US Govt can use any information at its discretion as evidence by the request for a co-sponsor in the OP's case. If it were "legally" solid like you claim, there wouldn't be an issue right now, and the OP would have already been approved. Obviously they feel like it wasn't enough so I don't see how I am trolling by saying in an expensive state like NY, $40,000 for a family of 4 could be cutting it close especially if one of the dependents is a child. Remember, the guidelines demonstrate a poverty-level situation.

That is why it is advisable to bring more than is asked. 3 year's worth of tax returns, bank statements, a letter from an employer etc. -- but despite that always have a plan B in case a sponsor is needed. Personally I didn't need one, but I asked my parents ahead of time so I wouldn't have to blindside them in case it were necessary.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

$45,000 for 4 people in the Northeast means you are barely scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck.

I can understand why they would want more financial backing

That was my thoughts exactly. I think the combining incomes is the problem. But I'll be honest I don't know the rules behind it. I don't really understand the idea of one person coming getting citizenship and then getting the rest of the family here. I think that is a problem with our system. I'd love my wife's family to be able to visit, but for them all to move here would be a bit ridiculous.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Yes go to the interview, I went to mine and needed an additional sponsor and got a 221g. Once sponsor was submitted visa was issued.

My Journey

Priority Date: July 24, 2007 (EAC)

AOS fee paid: February 2013

Request embassy change: May 2013

Son born: September 2013 (added to petition March 2014)

Interview: March 17, 2015 (Joint sponsor needed)

Joint sponsor documents submitted: April 27, 2015

Visas approved and issued: April 30, 2015. Had to return to embassy to do oath for son :)

Visa in hand: May 5, 2015 (two working days after issued)

IV fees paid: August 10, 2015

POE: JFK - September 10, 2015 (one day before visa expiry date - No hassle)

Returned to Barbados: September 28, 2015

Green cards: October 5, 2015 :dancing:

Entered US permanently: March 22, 2016

Applied for SSNs: March 28, 2016 (didn't tick box on DS-260)

SSN received: April 4, 2016;

Learner's permit: April 7, 2016 (in NY you also have to do 5-hour class);

Driver's License: July 13, 2016 (on first try) :dancing:

Husband's Journey (F2A)

Married: September 2015

I-130 sent: October 8, 2015 (via USPS)

Priority date: October 9, 2015 (WAC)

Petition approved: March 8, 2016 (5 months to the date of receipt) :)

NVC Welcome Letter: May 13, 2016
AOS documents sent: August 8, 2016
Case complete: September 14, 2016 (the waiting continues
:clock:).

Interview:  October 5, 2017 (Approved - Issued following day :))

Visa in hand:  October 12, 2017

POE:  October 13, 2017

Green card:

SSN:

those are just guidelines. The US Govt can use any information at its discretion as evidence by the request for a co-sponsor in the OP's case. If it were "legally" solid like you claim, there wouldn't be an issue right now, and the OP would have already been approved. Obviously they feel like it wasn't enough so I don't see how I am trolling by saying in an expensive state like NY, $40,000 for a family of 4 could be cutting it close especially if one of the dependents is a child. Remember, the guidelines demonstrate a poverty-level situation.

That is why it is advisable to bring more than is asked. 3 year's worth of tax returns, bank statements, a letter from an employer etc. -- but despite that always have a plan B in case a sponsor is needed. Personally I didn't need one, but I asked my parents ahead of time so I wouldn't have to blindside them in case it were necessary.

I get your point now but it was actually more like $40,000 for 3 people because it was my mom, stepdad and my sister and then me I make $19,000 but since I file taxes separately the i864A was useless. Now I'm asking my brother to become joint sponsor, he makes like $500 a week and lives on his own, I really hope that's enough.

Hey guys so just a simple quick question, would a person living on his/her own making $20,000 a year be enough to qualify as a joint sponsor? is the income enough for just 1 immigrant?

Edited by theuniverse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.