dassy004

pls help. when can I file for citizenship?

7 posts in this topic

Married since july 26th of 2012 and was placed in removal in fedbuary 2013. Case was over and termination of deportation was canceled by IJ in september of 2014. Filed my first ever greencard in october of 2014 and was granted a 10 years greencard on may 19th 2015 because my marriage was already more than 2 years old.I received the card today and was ask you guys about the citizenship rules just to be clear. Can I apply in July 26th when my marriage clocks 3 years or do I have to wait for 3 years from the 19th when I was approved? Pls I really need help to fully understand the rules.

Thanks

Your marriage time doesn't matter because you just receive your greencard. Look at your green card, last line "Resident since" you can apply 3 year minus 90 days from that day (assuming you are still married to same USC by then.)

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband received his 10 year green card December 2014, he applied for his citizenship February 2015, can't remember, and on May 18th, 2015 he received/approved for United Stated Citizenship and had his Oath Ceremony the same day.

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

My husband received his 10 year green card December 2014, he applied for his citizenship February 2015, can't remember, and on May 18th, 2015 he received/approved for United Stated Citizenship and had his Oath Ceremony the same day.

Unrelated to OP's question. You went through K-1 visa, AOS, ROC and then naturalization.

Timeline is different for OP as they just received green card and they need at least 3 yr as LPR before being able to apply for naturalization.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from AOS to US Citizenship forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Unrelated to OP's question. You went through K-1 visa, AOS, ROC and then naturalization.

I was simply stating our own process/experience because she stated she had her 10 year greencard, and yes, after three years I was under the impression they could file for naturalization. However, it took us five. . And yes, of course our timelines would differ.

Edited by MouadsWife

“You cannot enter heaven until you believe, and you will not truly believe until you (truly) love one another.” [Muslim, Al-Iman (Faith); 93]

Filed: Timeline

Married since july 26th of 2012 and was placed in removal in fedbuary 2013. Case was over and termination of deportation was canceled by IJ in september of 2014. Filed my first ever greencard in october of 2014 and was granted a 10 years greencard on may 19th 2015 because my marriage was already more than 2 years old.I received the card today and was ask you guys about the citizenship rules just to be clear. Can I apply in July 26th when my marriage clocks 3 years or do I have to wait for 3 years from the 19th when I was approved? Pls I really need help to fully understand the rules.

Thanks

You become eligible after 3 years of being a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.