olna83

Taking a lawyer to the interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello again VJ members,

I would like to hear from those who had a lawyer present during the interview.

I never had had issues with a law or anything along those lines (traffic tickets) and I have nothing to hide either - but just in case I might ask my lawyer to be present with me on the interview. I honestly get nervous as I heard many different stories (like IO's mood, misunderstanding etc).

Would this be viewed in somewhat negative perspective having an attorney by your side?

Thank you.

Edited by olna83

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello again VJ members,

I never had had issues with a law or anything along those lines (traffic tickets) and I have nothing to hide either - but just in case I might ask my lawyer to be present with me on the interview. I honestly get nervous as I heard many different stories (like IO's mood, misunderstanding etc).

Would this be viewed in somewhat negative perspective having an attorney by your side?

Thank you.

Nothing wrong with taking an attorney with you, but did you file a G-28 form with your application?

G-28 Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative

http://www.uscis.gov/g-28

This is listed on the N400 document checklist.

This should have been filed when you filed your application. I have read about one case where someone took an attorney with him to the interview and was questioned by the interviewer as to why the form had not been filed. He explained that he only hired the attorney at the last minute. The interviewer didn't object but told him that he should have called and notified the office that an attorney would be attending.

I really don't know if this is strictly enforced or not; that's the only case I've read about.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Nothing wrong with taking an attorney with you, but did you file a G-28 form with your application?

G-28 Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative

http://www.uscis.gov/g-28

This is listed on the N400 document checklist.

This should have been filed when you filed your application. I have read about one case where someone took an attorney with him to the interview and was questioned by the interviewer as to why the form had not been filed. He explained that he only hired the attorney at the last minute. The interviewer didn't object but told him that he should have called and notified the office that an attorney would be attending.

I really don't know if this is strictly enforced or not; that's the only case I've read about.

Thanks JimmyHou.

I didnt send the G-28 along with the application, my attorney said she will submit it on the interview date (once I signed it). I also did some research on USCIS web site: it seems like there is no requirement as to when the G-28 has to be submitted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks JimmyHou.

I didnt send the G-28 along with the application, my attorney said she will submit it on the interview date (once I signed it). I also did some research on USCIS web site: it seems like there is no requirement as to when the G-28 has to be submitted.

Good to know.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Timeline

Hello again VJ members,

Thank you.

Having a lawyer by your side doesn't make any difference. Good luck!

Timeline

I would say it is a waste of money.

Thank you Buckyball! My lawyer said the same..The case doesn't look like I need a legal assistance. But it's one of those things when the bad luck may strike you at any moment...Given it has been a long hard journey and so much time, money and efforts have been alreday invested. So it would be frustrating to lose it..

Timeline

Having a lawyer by your side doesn't make any difference. Good luck!

Thank you for the comment!

That's something I've been thinking about as well..But I'm reading through some of the experiences here in VJ... IOs may (intentionally/unintentionally) mention something that's considered inappropriate, or may misinterpret certain laws or the USCIS guidlines. Some applicants are sensitive and can react differently.

One of my acquaintances who's gone through this process a while ago and was getting her citizenship based on 5 yr rule (after being married to a US citizen on a good faith) got a comment from an unfriendly talking lady IO: "You girls from ...(region name)... all come here for only one reason". The girl started crying and then IO denied her application based o "bad moral character". The person doesnt even have traffic tickets not mentioning criminal history...I dont know all the details but I think the IO's comment was absolutely unacceptable.

And I'm sure if she had an attorney by her side it would have made a difference.

I am not saying this is the case with me. But I saw some people got turned over due to too many traffic tickets (I have 4 for the past 10 years - all paid), I moved between 4 states and jobs in the last 5 years in search of a better opportunity (all taxes are decalred and paid). I don't know what "right moral character" is in the interpretation of one IO.

You just never know...So I thought someone can share a story if they were in the same situation or someone had an attorney who was able to help in their case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Relax Olna, everything will be just fine. The stress this is causing you is far worse than anything immigration can do to you. Paying your taxes is good moral character. Good luck and stop stressing!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you Buckyball! My lawyer said the same..The case doesn't look like I need a legal assistance. But it's one of those things when the bad luck may strike you at any moment...Given it has been a long hard journey and so much time, money and efforts have been alreday invested. So it would be frustrating to lose it..

You have a good lawyer then, I have seen Lawyer in the past try to scare clients into needed legal representation........

Timeline

Relax Olna, everything will be just fine. The stress this is causing you is far worse than anything immigration can do to you. Paying your taxes is good moral character. Good luck and stop stressing!

Oh thank you so much for cheering me up! :)

I know... Living by the principle "better safe than sorry" sometimes creates a stress..:)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Sounds like you actually have a decent lawyer if he/she really said that. I agree with Buckyball - waste of your money.

Timeline

lol this ^

you got money to burn? Or is the lawyer a freebie?

First of all, I dont have money to burn.

To have the attorney representing me during the interview costs less than the N400 application fee. And I think it's worth paying it now than burning money for another application in 5 years or for filing an appeal and paying the attorney more than the payment for her having by my side during the interview.

Timeline

To rephrase the original question and to clarify the meaning of the topic...

Did anyone here have to bring an attorney to their citizenship interview? And if so - was helpful or not?

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.