educator_71

How many times do I need to travel to see my fiance?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Currently I am waiting for NOA2 at TSC. I went to visit my fiance in the Philippines in February of this year. I do have another visit planned for this July. My question is if something occurs where I can't make it, is one visit for 8 days long enough for her to get her visa, assuming I have enough documentation (in the I-129 f application) or will they desire for me to spend more time visiting her? Thanks.

At least once within the 2 year period preceding the I-129f application.

More visits mean more evidence, but the minimum is once.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Don't you want to see her?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Of course I want to see her, but where I live (Louisiana) there may be a hurricane that could derail my plans or maybe a medical emergency. i am not planning on these things happening but wanted to know if I would be safe with only one visit in case.

Edited by educator_71

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

In general, "face time" = better chance of visa-granting.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

you've submitted your evidence now so can no longer submit any more for the TSC part unless you get an RFE (request for evidence). The next opportunity would be the interview at the American embassy. I would check the regional forums out for that embassy in terms of what the typical questions/evidence they prefer to see, that way you can be prepared. Though I'm sure more visits would help the evidence if there was a need for it.

South-East Asia is a nice place to visit so why not go again whilst you have the opportunity (assuming finances are ok)? If you are worried about emergencies then get proper holiday insurance cover if you haven't already. She is going to be your wife/husband (sorry I don't know which one you are!) so surely you should spend as much time together as possible pre-marriage before the big "move"?

K1 Timeline

November 21st 2013 - First Met

November 18th 2014 - I-129f Submitted

November 24th 2014 - NOA 1

May 22nd 2015 - NOA 2 - no RFE!

June 4th 2015 - Case Sent to NVC

June 6th 2015 - NVC receives case

June 15th 2015 - Case Sent to Embassy

June 16th 2015 - Phoned NVC and finally got case number (tried 12th June and had not been assigned)

June 16th 2015 - Medical booked

June 21st 2015 - Sent Packet "3" - DS 160 and readiness

June 25th 2015 - Embassy sends letter in receipt of receiving case

June 30th 2015 - Medical

July 28th 2015 - Interview - Approved!

August 3rd 2015 - Email request to collect from courier office (Went straight from "Ready" to "Issued" did not see AP in CEAC)

August 4th 2015 - Collected packet from Chancery Lane Courier Office

August 7th 2015 - Arrived in Houston and end of K1 journey :)

Adjustment of Status Timeline

August 10th 2015 - Applied for SSN, obtained SSN number next day

August 15th 2015 - SSN card arrived

August 20th 2015 - Married! :)

August 24th 2015 - sent packet to USCIS via FedEx [AOS, AP & EAD]

August 26th 2015 - packet received at USCIS

August 28th 2015 - NOA 1 for all three applications

September 15th 2015 - RFE - request 1040A, W2's was not enough

September 24th 2015 - Biometrics completed

September 28th 2015 - RFE response received by USCIS

October 27th 2015 - EAD approved

I visited my then-fiancée 9 times. Try to go as much as you can.

Fernando & Michelle

12/05/2011 - Mailed I-129F
12/09/2011 - Received NOA1
12/21/2011 - Last updated by USCIS
04/12/2012 - Approved!
05/08/2012 - NVC received
05/09/2012 - Left NVC
05/14/2012 - Received at Consulate
06/25/2012 - Interview at Consulate, APPROVED!!!!
07/07/2012 - POE at JFK, easy.

09/28/2012 - Mailed I-485
11/09/2012 - Appointment for Biometrics
12/08/2012 - EAD and AP Card arrived in mail. No updates to USCIS website.
07/26/2013 - Approved, no interview.

04/30/2015 - Mailed I-751

06/03/2015 - Appointment for Biometrics

02/29/2016 - Approved, no interview.

03/14/2016 - Received 10-year Card

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I visited my fiance once and submitted the K-1. So long as you have solid evidence that you met once, once is all you need.

Good luck!

Question for OP: what sort of items did you supply with your petition as proof?

K-1
03/09/12 - NoA1
10/04/12 - NoA2 (210 days)

AoS

01/25/13 - NoA1
08/15/13 - NoA2 (199 days)

RoC
05/21/15 - NoA1

11/02/15 - NoA2 (164 days)

N-400

08/18/16 - NoA1
03/14/17 - Interview

03/16/17 - Oath Ceremony (217 days)

US citizen

Total time start to finish: 5 years, 12 days (1,838 days)

Timeline

@tigerflower- all kinds. I put all the required forms as well as receipts from my trip to the Philippines in February. I included photos of me and my fiance. I also included various emails, facebook chat logs, skype logs,photocopies of my boarding passes, my email confirmation of my flight itinerary, passport stamps entering and leaving the phil. my engagement ring receipt. It took awhile to put together, but now i have to wait to see if it is approved. That part is still at least 4-5 months away, being I am at TSC.

Timeline

@tigerflower- all kinds. I put all the required forms as well as receipts from my trip to the Philippines in February. I included photos of me and my fiance. I also included various emails, facebook chat logs, skype logs,photocopies of my boarding passes, my email confirmation of my flight itinerary, passport stamps entering and leaving the phil. my engagement ring receipt. It took awhile to put together, but now i have to wait to see if it is approved. That part is still at least 4-5 months away, being I am at TSC.

Timeline

We almost have the same situation, my fiance visited me on February too! Spent a total of 8 days like yours! We are currently waiting for our noa2 approval, but my greatest concern is our facetime ,I'm afraid that it might raise flag on the interview day, u see we only met once, though we've been in a relationship for 2yrs now. The reason he didn't able to stay long when he visited me was because of work commitments. He's working full time and just have started working on that company since several months. And he will not be able to visit me again due to work commitments and also we are trying to save enough money for our future plans. We know that visiting me for a few days will be expensive for us. I'm just hoping that by the time of my interview everything will go well. Though I'm still trying to find proofs or evidences that will our suffice our limited facetime and will satisfy the co.

Timeline

We almost have the same situation, my fiance visited me on February too! Spent a total of 8 days like yours! We are currently waiting for our noa2 approval, but my greatest concern is our facetime ,I'm afraid that it might raise flag on the interview day, u see we only met once, though we've been in a relationship for 2yrs now. The reason he didn't able to stay long when he visited me was because of work commitments. He's working full time and just have started working on that company since several months. And he will not be able to visit me again due to work commitments and also we are trying to save enough money for our future plans. We know that visiting me for a few days will be expensive for us. I'm just hoping that by the time of my interview everything will go well. Though I'm still trying to find proofs or evidences that will our suffice our limited facetime and will satisfy the co.

You should have no worries. My wife and I only knew each other less than 2 years before we filed for the K-1. We met only once, in Singapore for 2 weeks. I never even met her family (physically). But we front-loaded with the following:

1. A few pictures with us as pretty recognizable Singaporean landmarks.

2. Passport stamps (from both our passports).

3. Receipts from things we did in Singapore.

4. Hotel Reservation confirmation printout.

5. Airline Ticket stubs.

6. Lots of text, email and LINE/What'sApp chats.

7. Phone bill records.

Timeline

You should have no worries. My wife and I only knew each other less than 2 years before we filed for the K-1. We met only once, in Singapore for 2 weeks. I never even met her family (physically). But we front-loaded with the following:

1. A few pictures with us as pretty recognizable Singaporean landmarks.

2. Passport stamps (from both our passports).

3. Receipts from things we did in Singapore.

4. Hotel Reservation confirmation printout.

5. Airline Ticket stubs.

6. Lots of text, email and LINE/What'sApp chats.

7. Phone bill records.

Thank you :) that gave me hope and eases my worries.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.