UPenn2019

URGENT Entering the US - is 1h 25 min layover enough?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

My dad is coming to the US, but he has to stop at Detroit for an 85 minute layover. I know he has to go through customs and I already bought my ticket. It is delta airlines but it's the same airlines for the 2nd flight, will he have enough time?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hard to say, depends on several factors, including, but not limited to, other concurrent international arrivals and distance between gates.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The first time my husband went through Detroit his wait with customs was 2.5 hours. The second time he entered I don't think he waited long at all. We always gave about 3-4 hours of layover just in case.

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

If he misses it they will rebook for free yes its happen to me plenty of times, 1.25 hrs honestly ? I'd say probably no way . Unless it is dead that day with travelers . It will work out regardless though .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have done it in less than that, but you never know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

If the incoming international portion and the domestic portion are on the same itinerary or PNR, then in theory if your father misses the ticketed flight, then he should be rebooked on the next available flight, free of charge. For safety, you should look into hotels at the airport if there is only one connecting flight per day to your final destination.

Okay. :) We'll see. I'm gonna help him prepare how to fill out the custom declaration form. Will a Chinese version be available?

You should fill out form 6059b for him and email it for him to print out.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Okay. :) We'll see. I'm gonna help him prepare how to fill out the custom declaration form. Will a Chinese version be available?

Delta flights from PEK or PVG should have forms in Chinese that will be handed out by the flight attendants. If not they will have them in the arrivals hall.

For future reference international travelers will always clear customs and immigration at their Point of Entry into the US and every traveler has to carry their luggage through customs inspection. The exceptions being airports with US pre-clearance outside the US.

If I fill this out now, does he have to fill another one out?

In theory, CBP should accept the fillable pdf I linked above. In practice, I don't know because I told my parents to copy what I wrote down for them.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.