Danichek

Flying within the US while awaiting AOS

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife and I are wondering if she can fly to Dallas to visit with her friend. We are going through the AOS process where we also applied for EAD and travel permission. She has already had her biometrics appointment as well. The thing is that by all appearances, she is in this country illegally. This is even though we have applied for the AOS before her visa has expired.

If she were to go to an airport and be asked to show identification, her visa will show that it is expired. We are wanting to travel to Dallas for her friend's wedding. Is there anything the USCIS can give to show that my wife is here legally while pending approval of the AOS? Or will the airline let her on even with an expired visa? I do not want to drive the 10 hours with a pregnant woman, so the advise about just driving there is not a good option at this point.

March 29, 2006: mailed the I-129f form after getting all the documents translated and prepared

April 07, 2006: NOA-1

June 30, 2006: IMBRA RFE received by me

July 07, 2006: IMBRA RFE received by CSC

Aug 01, 2006: NOA-2

Aug 15, 2006: receipt from NVC stating they have the approved petition

Aug 25, 2006: email from US Embassy in Moscow, interview scheduled for Oct 16 @ 8:00 am

Sep 29, 2006: packet 3 finally received at old address even though we notified the NVC and Moscow Embassy of the new address.

October 16, 2006: Interview She passed

October 26, 2006: Arrival Date in the United States

November 09, 2006: Married

January 01, 2007: Moved from Florida to Kansas City (job related, not by choice)

January 12, 2007: Mailed paperwork for AOS, EAD, travel

January 18, 2007: Chicago received petitions

February 06, 2007: Biometrics appointment

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternatively, does she have a US driver's license that she could show as proof?

Bring your NOA1 from the AOS application to prove that you have filed to adjust status. Shouldn't be a problem.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You do not need AP to fly domestic. Only need photo ID that matches tickets, like passport. Having NOA1 for I-485 is a good idea, but Customs is not involved with domestic flights.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
My wife and I are wondering if she can fly to Dallas to visit with her friend. We are going through the AOS process where we also applied for EAD and travel permission. She has already had her biometrics appointment as well. The thing is that by all appearances, she is in this country illegally. This is even though we have applied for the AOS before her visa has expired.

If she were to go to an airport and be asked to show identification, her visa will show that it is expired. We are wanting to travel to Dallas for her friend's wedding. Is there anything the USCIS can give to show that my wife is here legally while pending approval of the AOS? Or will the airline let her on even with an expired visa? I do not want to drive the 10 hours with a pregnant woman, so the advise about just driving there is not a good option at this point.

Your wife is not here illegally. She is in a pending status.

You need to get this clear. She entered legally, married legally, and filed to adjust status. Therefore, she is here Legally.

You can use her passport, a copy of the marriage cert to show any disparity in the names on the tickets and I would carry the 1797c to show that she is in a pending status.

All though, it would be easier for her if she had a state issued ID, her passport will be sufficient. I would check with the Airline to see what types of ID they will accept.

2005 Aug 27 Happily Married

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your wife is not here illegally. She is in a pending status.

You need to get this clear. She entered legally, married legally, and filed to adjust status. Therefore, she is here Legally.

You can use her passport, a copy of the marriage cert to show any disparity in the names on the tickets and I would carry the 1797c to show that she is in a pending status.

All though, it would be easier for her if she had a state issued ID, her passport will be sufficient. I would check with the Airline to see what types of ID they will accept.

There is NO requirement to show ANY ID to fly domestically. You are simply treated as a SSSS and subject to a secondary screening.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

There is NO requirement to show ANY ID to fly domestically. You are simply treated as a SSSS and subject to a secondary screening.

Before I react here.... SSSS?

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Before I react here.... SSSS?

it was a redundant statement as SSSS refers to Secondary Security Screening Selection.

i have shown ID everytime I fly domestically

Timeline

SSSS is as described by Lal_Brandow above. Most people do show ID but there is no legal requirement to do so on domestic flights it is more to do with a revenue protection procedure for the airlines. Either way a passport is a valid government ID and the agent could care less about visa validity. On most domestic routes many of the check in staff will never have even dealt with a passport. ORL to DFW should pose no problems.

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

You do not need AP to fly domestic. Only need photo ID that matches tickets, like passport. Having NOA1 for I-485 is a good idea, but Customs is not involved with domestic flights.

more importantly, immigration is not involved with domestic flights.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Every time I go through security screening at an airport, aside from almost completely disrobing, I have to present valid picture ID with my boarding pass. I use my driver's license for domestic flights.

Am I missing something?

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Every time I go through security screening at an airport, aside from almost completely disrobing, I have to present valid picture ID with my boarding pass. I use my driver's license for domestic flights.

Am I missing something?

http://www.papersplease.org/gilmore/facts.html

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact that you do this does not mean there is any LEGAL REQUIREMENT for you to do so. Sheeples just go along with the security charade and the farcical behaviour of the organisation called the TSA

Timeline
This is all great and dandy, back to OP

The passport will do.

Well it is great and dandy if you want a full answer rather a partial one. People with a similar but not identical question may well find this thread on search and its useful to provide full information where at all possible is my take ;)

The passport is not even needed. You can check in online or at a self service kiosk so no ID needed there.

The only person that will ask to see ID is the line checker at a larger airport prior to entering the TSA check. ID is not needed if you are willing to undergo SSSS. The chances of one these McDonalds rejects knowing the first thing about a foreign passport or a visa is virtually none.

A valid passport issued by a foreign government is acceptable ID however not all domestic air travel is free of immigration authority inspections as claimed by an earlier poster. So it is up to the traveller to make sure they are aware of the situation where they are travelling and how to best deal with their own situation.

Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact that you do this does not mean there is any LEGAL REQUIREMENT for you to do so. Sheeples just go along with the security charade and the farcical behaviour of the organisation called the TSA

Oh, please. What's the big deal about showing ID?

I'm much more impressed when someone takes a stand for something important, like world hunger or the lack of potable water in so many areas of the world...

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

11-5-06 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.