Danichek

Flying within the US while awaiting AOS

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
This is all great and dandy, back to OP

The passport will do.

Well it is great and dandy if you want a full answer rather a partial one....

Please don't make snide comments to my husband. The point was made that ID is required and if that ID comes in the form of a passport rather than a US Drivers Licence, so be it and bring the passport.

Annie

2005 August 27th Happily Married

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline
Every time I go through security screening at an airport, aside from almost completely disrobing, I have to present valid picture ID with my boarding pass. I use my driver's license for domestic flights.

Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact that you do this does not mean there is any LEGAL REQUIREMENT for you to do so. Sheeples just go along with the security charade and the farcical behaviour of the organisation called the TSA

Oh, please. What's the big deal about showing ID?

I'm much more impressed when someone takes a stand for something important, like world hunger or the lack of potable water in so many areas of the world...

The big deal revolves around minor little irritants like, freedom, privacy, and the rights and protections afforded by the constitution. I am sure had the founding fathers been aware of potable water issues they would have included something about it but as it stands I simply chose to deal with the OP question and the misinformation that was given in replies to them. Their issue was ID when travelling I answered that. So far as I am aware an expired visa has no affect on world hunger so I will leave that out of my reply to them. ;)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Timeline
This is all great and dandy, back to OP

The passport will do.

Well it is great and dandy if you want a full answer rather a partial one....

Please don't make snide comments to my husband. The point was made that ID is required and if that ID comes in the form of a passport rather than a US Drivers Licence, so be it and bring the passport.

Annie

It was correct information not a snide comment. Your assertion that ID is required is plain and simple wrong information. ID is NOT required. Please post a link to the actual legislation that legally requires you to provide ID in order to travel domestically within the continental USA. Another poster has already provided a link to a court decision that explicitly states that you do NOT have to provide ID but can instead elect to make your self a Secondary security screening selectee. Maybe those darned judges were just being snide ;)

Edited by DelcoCouple
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gifDei beannacht agus sláinte go thú agus tú uile anseo!3dflagsdotcom_irela_2faws.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
YOU'VE made a travel list, checked it twice. But at the airport, you discover something not so nice: Your photo ID is missing.

Can you still fly?

The Transportation Security Administration doesn't advertise it. And few travelers know about it. But it's possible to fly domestically, even if your ID is lost, stolen, expired or forgotten. You'll just have to go through additional security.

Although federal law requires passengers 18 and older to present a government-issued picture ID, TSA and the airlines will make exceptions for passengers who have become separated from their identification.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/columnists/l...avel-columnists

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

this was taken from the Alaska Airlines site...

Travel Security

In order to ensure the safety and security of airline passengers, new security measures have been implemented at all U.S. airports. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has begun its transition of moving secondary screening from the gate area to security checkpoints. This means that the screening traditionally conducted at departure gates now takes place at the main security checkpoints at all U.S. airports. Anyone passing through a security checkpoint will be required to have a Boarding Pass and a government-issued photo I.D. As a result, your security experience may vary by airport. To ensure a pleasant travel experience, follow the suggestions below:

Present your Boarding Pass and government issued photo I.D. to pass through the security checkpoint. Getting your Boarding Pass prior to security will avoid any confusion over which airports have transitioned to the new security procedure.

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/faqs/Tr..._Advisories.asp

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

this is from the Southwest site...

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has begun its transition of secondary screening from the gate area to the security checkpoints. This means that the majority of the more thorough screenings, currently being conducted at departure gates, will soon take place at the main security checkpoints. Once this transition is complete at an individual airport, anyone passing through a security checkpoint will be required to have a government-issued photo ID and either a Boarding Pass or a TSA approved Security Document. As a result, a Customer's security experience may vary by airport.

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/security_doc.html

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

TSA Travel Assistant

source

We encourage each adult traveler to keep his/her airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID available until exiting the security checkpoint (children are not required to show identification). The absence of proper identification will result in additional screening.

There are four ways to obtain a boarding pass:

* Go to your airline's ticket counter at the airport

* Use curbside check-in

* Use your airline's self-service ticket kiosk in the airport lobby

* Print the boarding pass from your airline's website

If you aren’t traveling and need to go through the security checkpoint to accompany someone such as a child or other traveler with medical conditions who is traveling, check with the airline for required documentation.

Annie

Timeline

this is from the Delta site...

What You'll Need

The documentation you'll need will vary depending on your destination.

Within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico

Select from the following:

* One unexpired form of local or federal government-issued photo id, such as:

o Passport

o Driver's License

o Military ID

* Or two unexpired forms of non-photo id—one must be issued by a state or federal agency.

''

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/iti...ments/index.jsp

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
YOU'VE made a travel list, checked it twice. But at the airport, you discover something not so nice: Your photo ID is missing.

Can you still fly?

The Transportation Security Administration doesn't advertise it. And few travelers know about it. But it's possible to fly domestically, even if your ID is lost, stolen, expired or forgotten. You'll just have to go through additional security.

Although federal law requires passengers 18 and older to present a government-issued picture ID, TSA and the airlines will make exceptions for passengers who have become separated from their identification.

Yet they make no reference to which federal law requires this. Sloppy journalism at its best. Whilst the story confirms tha NO ID is needed they miss the real story here which is that there is a supposedly secretive direction issued by the FAA that passengers must present identification upon initial check-in. Now quite how I provide ID to my lap top when I check In online or to an automated kiosk at an airport I have no idea. :unsure: This was successfully challenged in Supreme court and the 9th Circuit held that one can either choose to show ID or 'volunteer' for additional screening. That decision stands as of today and the law is therefore quiet clear in that you do NOT need to show ID to fly domestically. To have secret laws imposed without ever knowing what they are seems not only wholly at odds with constitution but a worrying state of affairs the significance of which goes way beyond showing a photo ID.

Edited by DelcoCouple

Timeline

Can you still fly?

Yet they make no reference to which federal law requires this. Sloppy journalism at its best. Whilst the story confirms tha NO ID is needed they miss the real story here which is that there is a supposedly secretive direction issued by the FAA that passengers must present identification upon initial check-in. Now quite how I provide ID to my lap top when I check In online or to an automated kiosk at an airport I have no idea. :unsure: This was successfully challenged in Supreme court and the 9th Circuit held that one can either choose to show ID or 'volunteer' for additional screening. That decision stands as of today and the law is therefore quiet clear in that you do NOT need to show ID to fly domestically. To have secret laws imposed without ever knowing what they are seems not only wholly at odds with constitution but a worrying state of affairs the significance of which goes way beyond showing a photo ID.

you might not have to show ID at check-in but I am pretty sure you have to show ID when you got through Security....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Source

Department of Homeland Security - Travel Security and Procedures.

Domestic Travel

Airline boarding pass. (Photo TSA)

The Department of Homeland Security, through the Transportation and Security Administration (TSA), is responsible for security of the nation's transportation systems.

Highlights

TSA Travel Assistant. Up-to-date information on airport security procedures.

Screening Procedures. Steps to make the airport screening process more efficient and quick.

Watch List. Traveler Identity Verification Program works with the relevant parties (including airlines) to resolve any inaccuracies or inconsistencies that may have resulted in misidentifications.

Timeline

this is from the Air Tran Airways site...

Security

Passengers need a boarding pass along with a government-issued photo ID in order to pass through the security checkpoint. For your safety and protection, all security checks are performed by or are consistent with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requirements. As a result, all passengers and their baggage may be inspected in accordance with TSA requirements. We appreciate your patience during these security procedures. It is recommended that passengers proceed through the security checkpoint at least one (1) hour prior to departure time. For more information, visit the TSA's website at www.tsatraveltips.us.

http://www.airtran.com/policies/general_in....aspx?nav_id=19

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Can you still fly?

Yet they make no reference to which federal law requires this. Sloppy journalism at its best. Whilst the story confirms that NO ID is needed they miss the real story here which is that there is a supposedly secretive direction issued by the FAA that passengers must present identification upon initial check-in. Now quite how I provide ID to my lap top when I check In online or to an automated kiosk at an airport I have no idea. :unsure: This was successfully challenged in Supreme court and the 9th Circuit held that one can either choose to show ID or 'volunteer' for additional screening. That decision stands as of today and the law is therefore quiet clear in that you do NOT need to show ID to fly domestically. To have secret laws imposed without ever knowing what they are seems not only wholly at odds with constitution but a worrying state of affairs the significance of which goes way beyond showing a photo ID.

you might not have to show ID at check-in but I am pretty sure you have to show ID when you got through Security....

No you do not. Nor should you.You can simply say I have no idea and go through the war on bottled water secondary screening.

My identity in no ways confirms that I am 'safe" person to fly any more than lack of identity suggests that I am a "threat". The whole thing is a pony show for the public. The only reason ID has ever been required by the airlines is for revenue protection. Government has no place in protecting private companies revenue by enacting legislation. I realize this is going a bit off topic and much deeper than the OP but as his question has been answered and some people are still replying why not :P

On the subject of the OP how far advanced is the pregnancy/ Airlines do differ as to when they will allow you to fly when pregnant and a bigger obstacle may be the pregnancy than ID. Just a thought - check with the airline if the dates you are travelling on coincides with an advanced state of pregnancy.

Every time I go through security screening at an airport, aside from almost completely disrobing, I have to present valid picture ID with my boarding pass. I use my driver's license for domestic flights.

Am I missing something?

Yes. The fact that you do this does not mean there is any LEGAL REQUIREMENT for you to do so. Sheeples just go along with the security charade and the farcical behaviour of the organisation called the TSA

Oh, please. What's the big deal about showing ID?

I'm much more impressed when someone takes a stand for something important, like world hunger or the lack of potable water in so many areas of the world...

The big deal revolves around minor little irritants like, freedom, privacy, and the rights and protections afforded by the constitution. I am sure had the founding fathers been aware of potable water issues they would have included something about it but as it stands I simply chose to deal with the OP question and the misinformation that was given in replies to them. Their issue was ID when travelling I answered that. So far as I am aware an expired visa has no affect on world hunger so I will leave that out of my reply to them. ;)

Had the founding fathers realized that planes were going to be flown into buildings, that countries would have to protect themselves against terrorism, and that the US would be going to war against it, they might have included a clause about 'verification of identity'. ;)

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline
Source

Department of Homeland Security - Travel Security and Procedures.

Domestic Travel

Airline boarding pass. (Photo TSA)

The Department of Homeland Security, through the Transportation and Security Administration (TSA), is responsible for security of the nation's transportation systems.

Highlights

TSA Travel Assistant. Up-to-date information on airport security procedures.

Screening Procedures. Steps to make the airport screening process more efficient and quick.

Watch List. Traveler Identity Verification Program works with the relevant parties (including airlines) to resolve any inaccuracies or inconsistencies that may have resulted in misidentifications.

Much as the idiot Kip Hawley would like to think so posting something on a TSA website does not make it the law :whistle:

Try reading Gilmore v Gonzales for the up to date position. That case is the current authority on the issue and unless you are saying the current stated case law is not the definitive authority as to what the law actually is then I suggest you waste time googling ;)

The law on this matter is clearly settled for the present. Here is non technical overview

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilmore_v._Gonzales

Judges sided against Gilmore, ruling that people can still travel without identification, provided that the individual in question be placed through more stringent security measures.

Edited by DelcoCouple

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.