Emhage2

Submitted 221g with documents; How long in review?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

My fiance in Guatemala went to his interview, but they asked for some kind of special birth certificate that he had to go back to Honduras to get (2 weeks added to our time :-/ ). He's sent in the 221g with the requested documents via Cargo Express 1 week ago and I've confirmed with the embassy that they have it and it is under review. The contact person said that it can take up to 60 days for review!!! What are other people's experiences with submitting 221g and the review time before they get approved?

Thanks for the advice!

Elizabeth and Rafa

Timeline

FYI,

He got a call back from the embassy on Tuesday (7 business days after submission of documents) saying that they have approved his visa!!! However...they've lost his passport! I'm sure they'll find it soon, but this has been such a rollercoaster of a process!

Hoping to have my fiance in my arms next week! I miss him soooo much!

~ Elizabeth

Timeline

After several calls to the embassy trying to get in touch with the right person, we talked to someone in appointment scheduling who put in an inquiry for information for us. Well after the 2 business days had past which the inquiry said would take for a response, today my fiancee finally received a phone call letting him know that his passport was with Cargo Express. He went and picked it up today!! Booking his flight for next week!

Filed: Timeline

After several calls to the embassy trying to get in touch with the right person, we talked to someone in appointment scheduling who put in an inquiry for information for us. Well after the 2 business days had past which the inquiry said would take for a response, today my fiancee finally received a phone call letting him know that his passport was with Cargo Express. He went and picked it up today!! Booking his flight for next week!

That's awesome! Congratulations :)

• 4 months later...
Timeline

I need to get off this site.. there was another post saying the 221(g) is basically a NO.. lol...

I'm sure different people have had different experiences! Maybe the other people didn't have the right documentation or they didn't qualify...who knows! I definitely recommend using the resources on the embassy website for any doubts. They have a web chat service that can be helpful to check on status and for figuring out the next step, although sometimes the next step is just "wait for a call". Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and if I have had the same experience, I'll be happy to give my input on how I was able to get through a challenge since we also went through the Guatemala Embassy!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

They have been useless so far... First with the instructions now this... but I´ll wait for them to reply. The documents I need to send are not here yet anyways <_<

• 1 month later...

Hi!
We got a 221g form during my husbands interview (Late September) and had to wait for our joint sponsor to get his stuff together. The whole process is frustrating but hey, at least we weren't denied! So we finally were able to send everything to my husband. My husband dropped it off at Cargo Expreso on wednesday, they told him that it could take a week or 15 days for a response......anyways we will see what happens.

Met: (F) December 19, 2012
Married: (L) August 5, 2013 (L)

USCIS
I-130 Sent: August 1, 2014
I-130 NOA1: August 7, 2014

NVC PROCESS
26-JAN-2015 I-130 NOA2: APPROVED
03-FEB-2015 USCIS sent petition to NVC
26-FEB-2015 Case # and IIN assigned
27-FEB-2015 Completed DS-261
27-FEB-2015 Paid AOS fee
04-MAR-2015 AOS fee Deducted from Bank
16-MAR-2015 Mailed AOS & "Supporting Documents" (IV package)
23-MAR-2015 NVC sent email confirming they received my package
20-APR-2015 NVC sent a choice of agent form checklist?? missing...odd
20-APR-2015 Called NVC rep checked DS-261 form, yay finally!!
23-APR-2015 Received IV invoice through email but cant pay online yet... :cry:
27-APR-2015 Finally Paid IV fee
04-MAY-2015 Submitted DS-260 form
16-JUN-2015 Supervisor Review (they are so inadequate ..grrr)
13-JUL-2015 Case Complete with Supervisor on the phone
20-JUL-2015 Received Official Case Complete letter...waiting for interview :dancing:
23-SEPT-2015 Interview!! - They asked for a joint sponsor - received hated 221g form (at least it wasn't a "NO")
25-NOV-2015 Finally sent the documents required with 221g form...
30-NOV-2015 They updated my case file on CEAC but still reads "Admin Processing"..(crossing fingers)

14-DEC-2015 They "touched" and update my case file at the embassy, still under AP

28-DEC-2015 They touched my file again...still under AP

29-DEC-2015 !!!! VISA ISSUED - According to CEAC site...yay!! (now waiting to see when we can pick up)

I need to get off this site.. there was another post saying the 221(g) is basically a NO.. lol...

A 221(g) is only a "maybe" if it is stated on the refusal worksheet that something is needed to be done by them or the applicant.

The exact wording of the refusal worksheet: 221(g) given to my fiance at his interview, asking for more documents was:

[X] Section 221(g) which prohibits the issuance of a visa to anyone whose application does not comply with the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto. The following remarks apply to your case:

[X]Further Consideration will be given to your visa application after you obtain and present the documents following: Affadavit of support I-134 from Joint Sponsor and support financial documents to meet HHS guidelines.

But if it's just a 221(g) flat out, then it's a refusal. In that case it will say something along the lines of the first part of what I posted, along with something about the visa application being refused under 221(g) and that it will be sent back to USCIS for further review and to wait for further information in the mail.

Again, there's 221(g) with further consideration and 221(g) the refusal.

Don't take the 221(g) with further consideration as a NO, it just means they need more documents to essentially give you the YES! If they wanted to say NO, they could have found a way. =D

For us, it only took 6 days for our visa to be issued once the consulate received the documents they requested on the refusal worksheet. Mind you though, that was a very fast response.

Edited by Ash.1101

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

SENORACALAVERA after I sent everything through cargo expreso it took about a week to get approved :) good luck!

Thank you for chiming in, I hope things dont drag out more, but I'm happy I'm going to see him soon. :) (I'm heading out for the X-mas break)

A 221(g) is only a "maybe" if it is stated on the refusal worksheet that something is needed to be done by them or the applicant.

The exact wording of the refusal worksheet: 221(g) given to my fiance at his interview, asking for more documents was:

[X] Section 221(g) which prohibits the issuance of a visa to anyone whose application does not comply with the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto. The following remarks apply to your case:

[X]Further Consideration will be given to your visa application after you obtain and present the documents following: Affadavit of support I-134 from Joint Sponsor and support financial documents to meet HHS guidelines.

But if it's just a 221(g) flat out, then it's a refusal. In that case it will say something along the lines of the first part of what I posted, along with something about the visa application being refused under 221(g) and that it will be sent back to USCIS for further review and to wait for further information in the mail.

Again, there's 221(g) with further consideration and 221(g) the refusal.

Don't take the 221(g) with further consideration as a NO, it just means they need more documents to essentially give you the YES! If they wanted to say NO, they could have found a way. =D

For us, it only took 6 days for our visa to be issued once the consulate received the documents they requested on the refusal worksheet. Mind you though, that was a very fast response.

Thank you also!

I returned documents a week ago, so I'm just hoping for the best. Yesterday it appeared on the CEAC website that the case was updated with yesterdays date (still under admin. processing).

USCIS

NVC PROCESS
27-FEB-2015 Paid AOS fee
20-JUL-2015 Received Official Case Complete letter...waiting for interview :dancing:
23-SEPT-2015 Interview!! - They asked for a joint sponsor - received hated 221g form (at least it wasn't a "NO")
30-NOV-2015 They updated my case file on CEAC but still reads "Admin Processing"..(crossing fingers)

14-DEC-2015 They "touched" and update my case file at the embassy, still under AP

29-DEC-2015 !!!! VISA ISSUED - According to CEAC site...yay!! (now waiting to see when we can pick up)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

My fiance in Guatemala went to his interview, but they asked for some kind of special birth certificate that he had to go back to Honduras to get (2 weeks added to our time :-/ ). He's sent in the 221g with the requested documents via Cargo Express 1 week ago and I've confirmed with the embassy that they have it and it is under review. The contact person said that it can take up to 60 days for review!!! What are other people's experiences with submitting 221g and the review time before they get approved?

Thanks for the advice!

Elizabeth and Rafa

Timeline

Hi, I'm in the same boat, I had my interview on dec 9th but I think I got to nervous at the interview and the officer ask me for more forms but he gave me a second interview for May 10, now my question is did your fiancé got a second interview date? Or they just ask him to mail them his birth certificate? I'm very confused of what happened in my interview and I don't know what I'm going to do in the next 5 months over here! My wife and son are in the U.S. And it will be very hard for me to not see them! :-/

Hi, I'm in the same boat, I had my interview on dec 9th but I think I got to nervous at the interview and the officer ask me for more forms but he gave me a second interview for May 10, now my question is did your fiancé got a second interview date? Or they just ask him to mail them his birth certificate? I'm very confused of what happened in my interview and I don't know what I'm going to do in the next 5 months over here! My wife and son are in the U.S. And it will be very hard for me to not see them! :-/

Maybe you should call the embassy to reprogram the interview date sooner, just have all the forms and everything ready before the interview date. That way you wont get a 221g form. Wish you the best of luck. :)

USCIS

NVC PROCESS
27-FEB-2015 Paid AOS fee

Timeline

[quote name="señoracalavera" post="7940111" timestamp="1450581294

Maybe you should call the embassy to reprogram the interview date sooner, just have all the forms and everything ready before the interview date. That way you wont get a 221g form. Wish you the best of luck. :)

Thanks for reply, the problem is the CO told me

To send all the docs with cargo expresso but he gave me another interview date, and from what I've read it takes up to 60 days to review the docs, so I'm just really frustrated because I am the only one working at home, we can lose everything what we had work for! It's just frustrating! :-(

Edited by 3R1CK

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.