lewisandmike

Possibly the MOST confusing question ever...?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey,

Michael and I (same sex couple) have been living in Shanghai for about a year (give or take).

Michael the US citizen is currently back in America working. I was due to be visiting him next week for a month, before returning home to the UK and wait patiently for the interivew as we sent off our documents over a month ago!

However, last night I lost my passport and have managed to get an emergency passport from the UK consulate in Shanghai. My old one will be canceled and is nowhere to be found (it's in a skip).

What do I need to do? Do I phone USCIS and inform them that I will be getting a new passport with a new passport number?

Also, the hard part now ...... I've heard online that people are sometimes required to give a police check. That's not a problem as I am a lawabiding citizen, however I have been told by some people that I need one from China as well?

This process is so much more confusing and almost near impossible in a developing country. I went to the notary office today and they pretty much said they can't give me any police check certificate as they dont have my original passport because it was lost last night. I asked them to write this down and stamp it and I can show this in my interview to show that I tried, but they refused.

This is SO much and this is all so new to me. I am so worried that this is going to cause a huge problem! Can someone please help me sleep better tonight and give me some comforting words???

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

HI Michael

Yes, you will need a Police Clearance certificate for both China and the UK. Get your certificate from China before you leave. It will be cheaper and easier than doing it from the UK. Foreign Police Certificates do not expire unless you have returned to visit that country since they were issued. It may be a good idea to time it so that it arrives as near to your intended return to the UK as possible.

USCIS doesn't care if you have a new, renewed or replaced passport at this stage. When you apply for the visa however, you will need to disclose that you have had one stolen or lost. It is one of the questions in the DS160 application form. Keep evidence of the Police report or any other associated paperwork relating to the loss of your previous passport just in case they ask to see anything at the interview. I don't know if they do, but given that it is a question on the DS160, I'd probably want to be prepared, if I were you.

I don't know what to suggest about the Police certificate issue with the temporary passport.

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Timeline

HI Michael

Yes, you will need a Police Clearance certificate for both China and the UK. Get your certificate from China before you leave. It will be cheaper and easier than doing it from the UK. Foreign Police Certificates do not expire unless you have returned to visit that country since they were issued. It may be a good idea to time it so that it arrives as near to your intended return to the UK as possible.

USCIS doesn't care if you have a new, renewed or replaced passport at this stage. When you apply for the visa however, you will need to disclose that you have had one stolen or lost. It is one of the questions in the DS160 application form. Keep evidence of the Police report or any other associated paperwork relating to the loss of your previous passport just in case they ask to see anything at the interview. I don't know if they do, but given that it is a question on the DS160, I'd probably want to be prepared, if I were you.

I don't know what to suggest about the Police certificate issue with the temporary passport.

Hi!

Thanks so much for your reply.

I completely agree with what you are saying, however in regards to the police certificate, this is going to be almost impossible to obtain from China as they only want to see my passport which I used to enter the country on. As this has been lost, I can't give them my temporary/emergency passport. Meaning, as it stands now, I can't get the police report.

Is this something that will ultimately get the visa rejected?

Thank you!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A police certificate will be required. Your visa will not likely be rejected, just put on hold until you can provide the necessary documents.

Have you been issued a full, new passport? Not just an emergency one?

Go back to the office and find out exactly what they need - I doubt this is their first rodeo with a lost passport

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Hey,

Michael and I (same sex couple) have been living in Shanghai for about a year (give or take).

Michael the US citizen is currently back in America working. I was due to be visiting him next week for a month, before returning home to the UK and wait patiently for the interivew as we sent off our documents over a month ago!

However, last night I lost my passport and have managed to get an emergency passport from the UK consulate in Shanghai. My old one will be canceled and is nowhere to be found (it's in a skip).

What do I need to do? Do I phone USCIS and inform them that I will be getting a new passport with a new passport number?

Also, the hard part now ...... I've heard online that people are sometimes required to give a police check. That's not a problem as I am a lawabiding citizen, however I have been told by some people that I need one from China as well?

This process is so much more confusing and almost near impossible in a developing country. I went to the notary office today and they pretty much said they can't give me any police check certificate as they dont have my original passport because it was lost last night. I asked them to write this down and stamp it and I can show this in my interview to show that I tried, but they refused.

This is SO much and this is all so new to me. I am so worried that this is going to cause a huge problem! Can someone please help me sleep better tonight and give me some comforting words???

Thanks!

Seems to me that providing the government with your actual, current passport number would only make sense. I'm curious why you think being a homosexual couple is relevant to having lost your passport.

As for police records in China, it also depends on what visa category you fall under in China:

"Certificates are available for those in the J-1, Z, and X categories. The GOC does not issue police records for temporary residents of China in L or F visa categories.

Police records also are not available for those who were in China in diplomatic status including those working for international organizations such as the United Nations. Notarial police certificates are based in part upon records from an individual's employer. If an employer refuses to release records, the notarial office is not able to issue a certificate."

Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html#policerecords-6

If that doesn't help, try these (care of Darnell)

1. contact the China Embassy, ask for them to get one for you. once they have it, they can send it to you.
2. contact the China Embassy, ask them to get one for you. They send you a letter stating it is unavailable. Bring this to the interview
3. If you were in China because of some company or educational institution. The HR person there can obtain one for you - expect to pay some monies for this - so contact that HR person and inquire about it. It will be 'out of their normal sphere' of things to do, but if it's obtainable by them, they can get it , send it on to you, for some handling charge.

You dont have to report the change to USCIS. Just put your new passport number on forms from now on (Like when you pay for your visa fee). Bring any proof that you lost the old passport. If you have a scanned copy of the old one, bring it just in case.

Edited by iammrsregie

Timeline

A police certificate will be required. Your visa will not likely be rejected, just put on hold until you can provide the necessary documents.

Have you been issued a full, new passport? Not just an emergency one?

Go back to the office and find out exactly what they need - I doubt this is their first rodeo with a lost passport

good luck

Thank you also for your reply!

I have been issued an emergency passport. I am flying back to the UK next week and will be leaving China for good, moving back to my home of the UK until the k1 has been approved.

The places and offices in which I need to go to get the police background check won't accept my emergency passport - they only want to see the original one, which is impossible as it's gone. They're saying they can't do anything else....

Just the thing is with China, is that no body really knows what to do. The British consulate states that I need to go to the notary office, whilst the notary office tell me to go back to the consulate - and both parties are refusing to meet/discuss this.

Do you have any other suggestions at all?

Thanks!

Timeline

As for police records in China, it also depends on what visa category you fall under in China:

"Certificates are available for those in the J-1, Z, and X categories. The GOC does not issue police records for temporary residents of China in L or F visa categories.

Police records also are not available for those who were in China in diplomatic status including those working for international organizations such as the United Nations. Notarial police certificates are based in part upon records from an individual's employer. If an employer refuses to release records, the notarial office is not able to issue a certificate."

Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CH.html#policerecords-6

If that doesn't help, try these (care of Darnell)

1. contact the China Embassy, ask for them to get one for you. once they have it, they can send it to you.

2. contact the China Embassy, ask them to get one for you. They send you a letter stating it is unavailable. Bring this to the interview

3. If you were in China because of some company or educational institution. The HR person there can obtain one for you - expect to pay some monies for this - so contact that HR person and inquire about it. It will be 'out of their normal sphere' of things to do, but if it's obtainable by them, they can get it , send it on to you, for some handling charge.

You dont have to report the change to USCIS. Just put your new passport number on forms from now on (Like when you pay for your visa fee). Bring any proof that you lost the old passport. If you have a scanned copy of the old one, bring it just in case.

Hey thank you SO much!!

About what you said

Does this essentially mean, I contact my previous employer and they can obtain what exactly? The police certificate? That would be great if so?? Thank you!

Hey thank you SO much!!

About what you said

Does this essentially mean, I contact my previous employer and they can obtain what exactly? The police certificate? That would be great if so?? Thank you!

Yes, they can try to obtain a police certificate for you. Not 100% sure they will get it, but they can try. Maybe if you ask them really nicely. Your best bet is contacting the Chinese Embassy though.

Good luck on your visa journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Maybe a written statement from you regarding the matter and if nothing else check with your embassy before leaving and see if they can possibly help you in expediting a police certificate from the area of China in which you have lived for the past year. Your embassy issued the emergency Passport so maybe they know how or who to get with to assist you in getting the certificate you need for the K-1 interview process in the UK.

Good luck and best wishes.

Melinda (Malak) & Hemza

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Thank you also for your reply!

I have been issued an emergency passport. I am flying back to the UK next week and will be leaving China for good, moving back to my home of the UK until the k1 has been approved.

The places and offices in which I need to go to get the police background check won't accept my emergency passport - they only want to see the original one, which is impossible as it's gone. They're saying they can't do anything else....

Just the thing is with China, is that no body really knows what to do. The British consulate states that I need to go to the notary office, whilst the notary office tell me to go back to the consulate - and both parties are refusing to meet/discuss this.

Do you have any other suggestions at all?

Thanks!

Just making sure, that "the places and offices" you went to was a Public Security Bureau (PSB) before going to the notary?

07-17-2009 I-129F sent

07-22-2009 NOA1 date

07-24-2009 check cleared

07-30-2009 NOA1 received via snail mail

10-14-2009 NOA2 (we were around #187 on Igor's List)

12-30-2009 Interview in Madrid!

02-01-2010 Visa in Hand - finally!

03-08-2010 POE Orlando, FL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a friend being held up for the same thing. His fiance from Phils., spent time in Japan.,,.over 6 months.,.,.her interview is complete, pending this policee report, and this week will make 2 months since the request was made.,.,.hoping for the report to come from Japan.,.,soon.

So, yes this is a big deal.,.,and you do have a unique problem..,maybe the American consulate can intercede on your behalf.,.,.,and help you.

Best of luck.,.,.,and according to what I am seeing, a police report, is hard to get even after you give them your "finger prints."

Very interesting, keep us up dated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.