4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a question regarding the I-864 form (Affidavit of Support). This is not really a personal question as I make enough to meet the requirements, however, I am curious about why this information is needed (and I bet others new to this process might be wondering, as well).

I am going over the form now just to familiarize myself with what needs to be produced during the interview. I'm at part six of the form where the last three years of tax info is requested. I was wondering why this information is needed. What really matters the most in this situation: the current individual income or the last three years of income?

Thanks ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am no expert like some of the people on this site, but assumption is that they want the proof that you have a steady stable income not just a current income.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Current income is certainly the most important factor in the income equation...but think of it this way: one of the key factors in the judgment-call aspect of the AOS is stability. Someone who has a multi-year history of filing a more-or-less correct tax return is probably a safer bet for ongoing stability and thus support of a new immigrant than someone who only has sufficient current income and an unclear tax status in recent years.

This is just an idea that I have: I don't have any special insight into the process.:) I do know, however, that due to living abroad my 2nd- and 3rd-year historical tax returns demonstrated an AGI well below the threshold and it didn't negatively affect our application (my current-year income was well above the limit, which as you say is what really matters in the practical sense). I'm just glad I filed properly with the IRS all those years when it came time to provide transcripts to the NVC.:)

I-130 mailed: 03/10/14 (from France to Chicago Lockbox)

I-130 received: 03/12/14 (this is also our priority date)

NOA1 email: 03/16/14 (email sent at 11:40 pm on Sunday!?!)

NOA1 letter: 03/30/14

I-797C: 03/21/14

NOA2 email: 08/09/14 (email sent at 5:45 am on Saturday!?!)

NOA2 letter: 08/13/14

Sent to NVC: 08/19/14 (email notification)

NVC receipt: 09/08/14 (confirmed by phone call)

NVC case #: 09/11/14 (received via email with NVC welcome letter as attachment)

DS-261 done: 09/12/14

--AOS invoice: 09/17/14 (notice via email)

--Invoice paid: 09/18/14

--accepted: 10/1/14 (notice via email)
IV invoice: 10/1/14 (same email)
IV fee paid: 10/4/14
--accepted: 10/8/14 (status changed to "paid" on NVC website)
DS-260 done: 10/9/14
AOS/IV docs
sent: 10/13/14
AOS/IV docs
signed for: 10/17/14
confirmation
email received: 10/18/14 (this email said there will be a 60 day wait before my docs are reviewed)
checklist: 12/11/14 (i864, section 5, one error: "you must enter "1" for yourself...")
New i864 mailed: 12/14/14
Received: 12/18/14 (email notification 12/22/14, with another 60-day warning)
Third N/A: 3/2/15
NVC case
complete: 3/2/15 (confirmed on call to NVC 3/4/15; email received 3/9/15)
Interview date: 4/1/15 (assigned 3/11/15)
APPROVED!!! CEAC status changed to "Issued" on 4/2/15.
Visa and POE
papers in-hand: 4/12/15
POE: 4/16/15 in Minneapolis. Kept my wife and our three-Y.O. waiting in a windowless room with no toilet access for over an hour, then let them through without asking any questions.
But whatever: it's over!!!!! 13 months and 3 days from original priority date.
Green card: Accompanying docs stamped 6/16, but the card did not arrive until 7/2 (approx. 11 weeks after POE).
Now it's really over. Thank you so much to all of you at VJ who helped us through this ordeal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The I-864 is not needed for a K-1 visa interview. You need the I-134. http://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/montreal/Packet3-K1-MTL.pdf

The I-864 will be needed later, after you are married and are filing for AOS. The tax information is required because you are required to have filed your taxes for the last 3 years, unless not legally obligated to do so.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.