apple21

Is there a follow-to-join benefit for DV winners from Serbia?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi there! I don't know much about the DV lottery so please bear with me.

My Filipino cousin and her Serbian husband just won the DV lottery for 2016. She's currently pregnant with their 2nd child and is due to give birth this June. They have a 4 year old daughter. They haven't submitted the DS260 yet as they are waiting the birth of their baby boy.

Now, moving here in the US as we all know is a very big adjustment especially if you have very young children in tow. I can only accommodate them for 2 weeks because on our rent contract that's the longest a house guest can stay. We have a grandmother in San Diego and we're still waiting for her decision if she can accommodate them because she has a house and she lives there alone. That is Plan A.

For Plan B, the husband will immigrate first being the principal applicant. Does his wife and children get FTJ benefits just like in the family preference categories? Or does he have to file a new i130 for wifey?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Logical thing would be for them to come over within the 6 months activate her GC and then she can go back to tidy things up whilst he gets things settled.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi there! I don't know much about the DV lottery so please bear with me.

My Filipino cousin and her Serbian husband just won the DV lottery for 2016. She's currently pregnant with their 2nd child and is due to give birth this June. They have a 4 year old daughter. They haven't submitted the DS260 yet as they are waiting the birth of their baby boy.

Now, moving here in the US as we all know is a very big adjustment especially if you have very young children in tow. I can only accommodate them for 2 weeks because on our rent contract that's the longest a house guest can stay. We have a grandmother in San Diego and we're still waiting for her decision if she can accommodate them because she has a house and she lives there alone. That is Plan A.

For Plan B, the husband will immigrate first being the principal applicant. Does his wife and children get FTJ benefits just like in the family preference categories? Or does he have to file a new i130 for wifey?

Thanks in advance.

Any benefit has to be completed before the end of the applicable fiscal year. If they interview late, they will miss out on FTJ entirely (and it is complicated for DV to interview separately to begin with). Honestly, the easiest thing is for all of them to get immigrant visas at the same time via DV, that gives the husband up to 6 months ahead of wife and child (if he leaves immediately after getting his visa) with no further hassle. Or as boiler said. Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thanks guys! :)

If wife and kids get a 2yr re-entry permit and go back to Serbia or Philippines, will it affect their LPR status as DV winners?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As long as they are not gone too long.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Thanks guys! :)

If wife and kids get a 2yr re-entry permit and go back to Serbia or Philippines, will it affect their LPR status as DV winners?

Once they have landed with DV visas, they become LPRs with no conditions ( other than the usual need to maintain residency) - the only condition is upfront when they have to land with or after the principal applicant. After that they are unconditional green card holders. So a re-entry permit will allow them to stay out for up to two years, as with any other LPR. Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

That's a relief Susie. I guess the re-entry permit is their best route.

Thanks so much! Also Boiler! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.