Janelle2002

Confederate Flag Prom Photo With Gun-Toting High Schoolers Backfires

421 posts in this topic

Here's what I'm saying. In the rioting threads, there were statements made about there being no excuse for rioting. And you explained it; you didn't say it was right or that you agree, you just explained the other point of view. I'm pretty sure Janelle was in total agreement with you.

Do these kids get the same treatment? Not say that they are right or that we agree with them; but maybe there is an explanation for their behavior: that they are dumb kids who don't know why what they did offends us all. Or do we just say that there is no excuse for what they did: "There is no excuse for ignorance"

By the way, this got me thinking about the N-word. I mentioned that I hear kids use it all the time with their friends of all races. It's really weird to me. The kids don't seem to understand the meaning. Just like I've seen so many young people who don't understand the meaning of the confederate flag.

Here is my philosophical question for you: Do you think we are better as a country if the next generation has no real understanding of those two things. If they don't see that word or the flag as divisive. They just live their lives with much less racial division because of ignorance. Is that better or not?

Actually, in that conversation, I did say it wasn't right and I don't agree with it. I just added that you can't condemn it without looking at the root cause.

Why do you think Janelle conceded? I wrote her in PM. Personally, I know why people of color don't like the flag and I see where she is coming from. But as I told her, there's no real hardcore proof that this had racist implications. There's no way of knowing from this picture. Now if there were nooses or burning crosses, different ballgame...

Every black person on the planet knows what the N word means. I don't care what anyone says. People choose to say it for whatever misguided reasons they make up, but I won't tolerate it. If I say it in example, I hate doing it...

For you last question. I think we would be worse. You need to know your history, lest you are doomed to repeat the same stupid mistakes people are making now.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Every black person on the planet knows what the N word means. I don't care what anyone says. People choose to say it for whatever misguided reasons they make up, but I won't tolerate it. If I say it in example, I hate doing it...

For you last question. I think we would be worse. You need to know your history, lest you are doomed to repeat the same stupid mistakes people are making now.

The whole things about knowing your history etc. is a nice slogan, but does that mean it's true?

What if this generation really has changed the meaning of the word. I mean, I know I'll never accept, but what if in 50 years, when I'm gone, the word has totally changed it's meaning. What if they've changed it precisely because they don't know their history.

I honestly don't know. I think the flag is a different issue. I think it will always be wrong. But I really want to be an optimist that maybe, even though I hate hearing the N-word, maybe something good could happen.

By the way, you're not allowed to make claims about what every black person knows, thinks, or feels. :content: It's against the rules.

That makes sense. I hear the word used now among kids and it has the same meaning as "friend". It's really weird to me. I just wonder if that is a step in the right direction as a country or not. I really don't know. But what you said makes sense. I do think that this generation is much more open-minded racially than previous generations. Not perfect, but better.

i agree for the most part, but this really depends on where you're at geographically. i read a 20 something guy the other day on fb seriously attempting to make his case about how the white race is in fact superior and how he knows this is fact and feels sorry for black people and oh, btw, he isn't racist. lol <_<

The whole things about knowing your history etc. is a nice slogan, but does that mean it's true?

What if this generation really has changed the meaning of the word. I mean, I know I'll never accept, but what if in 50 years, when I'm gone, the word has totally changed it's meaning. What if they've changed it precisely because they don't know their history.

I honestly don't know. I think the flag is a different issue. I think it will always be wrong. But I really want to be an optimist that maybe, even though I hate hearing the N-word, maybe something good could happen.

By the way, you're not allowed to make claims about what every black person knows, thinks, or feels. :content: It's against the rules.

Here's the other side of it.

The way you feel about the flag is how I feel about the N-word. Because let's be honest. I'm willing to bet no black person past or present is going to be comfortable with anyone outside of another black person calling them that. And that's not fair. If we're going to make it completely acceptable, then EVERYONE should be able to say it. Personally, it will never be a good thing to hear. I wish we'd go back to calling each other brother and sister, rather than n**** or b**** or thot.

Of course I can. It's one of the perks of being oppressed. I can claim unfair treatment and demand preferential treatment at the same damn time! :goofy:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

i agree for the most part, but this really depends on where you're at geographically. i read a 20 something guy the other day on fb seriously attempting to make his case about how the white race is in fact superior and how he knows this is fact and feels sorry for black people and oh, btw, he isn't racist. lol <_<

Does he have the "one black friend" exemption? Can't be racist with one black friend.

Here's the other side of it.

The way you feel about the flag is how I feel about the N-word. Because let's be honest. I'm willing to bet no black person past or present is going to be comfortable with anyone outside of another black person calling them that. And that's not fair. If we're going to make it completely acceptable, then EVERYONE should be able to say it. Personally, it will never be a good thing to hear. I wish we'd go back to calling each other brother and sister, rather than n**** or b**** or thot.

Of course I can. It's one of the perks of being oppressed. I can claim unfair treatment and demand preferential treatment at the same damn time! :goofy:

By the way, you correct me in public but you correct Janelle in private? That's racist and sexist. reported.

Does he have the "one black friend" exemption? Can't be racist with one black friend.

By the way, you correct me in public but you correct Janelle in private? That's racist and sexist. reported.

Have you seen Janelle? Of course I was going to "correct" her in private. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Since I live in the north….I don't care much for the confederate flag……but, I understand some people like it. As far as I am concerned the war is over.

However it seems nobody has read vals comment that I found very telling. I assume she meant blacks were wearing the confederate flag/stickers/tee shirts. Maybe she can clear it up?

i saw a great number of cuntry boys and girls with the conf. flag on tshirts/bumperstickers - but they weren't all white kids. let that sink in..

Because let's be honest. I'm willing to bet no black person past or present is going to be comfortable with anyone outside of another black person calling them that.

That's what made me think of this. I see young people, age 14-17 using the word all the time. The ethnicity is not important. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian.... I've seen them all use it and it doesn't matter who they're talking to. They never, ever are bothered by the word.

I just don't understand these kids today.

He knows who wear the pants... :goofy:

That's what made me think of this. I see young people, age 14-17 using the word all the time. The ethnicity is not important. Black, white, Hispanic, Asian.... I've seen them all use it and it doesn't matter who they're talking to. They never, ever are bothered by the word.

I just don't understand these kids today.

You're seeing the lack of historic knowledge. To someone outside of this group, it wouldn't make sense. I'm with you on that one.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Is that you Granpa? :lol:

It's real when Teddy is calling you old... :devil:

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg