akihon

Question regarding Parent

15 posts in this topic

I'm eligible for naturalization this October, and my mother has requested that I apply for her permanent residency so she can try to get my brother back into the US. She has never expressed a real interest in living in the US, and I wouldn't put it past her to start lying to me to get what she wants.

I have told her no, and that permanent residency has obligations to the US including spending most of the year within the US and filing US taxes. It will also take just as long for her to get citizenship and then sponsor my brother as it will for me to file his petition. She insists, and of course brings up "a friend of a friend did it, so it's not illegal".

I've already pointed out "visa fraud" and "not a tourist visa" to her. My question is: if I go ahead with this, will there be consequences to my naturalized citizenship?

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No consequences to your citizenship, but she may not get or keep her greencard long enough to get your brother, plus you will be on the hook for her I-864, so there may be financial consequences. If you go ahead, I'd still file for the brother too (he can have two petitions pending at the same time), just in case the mother looses interest....

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

ditto, nothing to do with your citizenship, you should file for your brother as well, how old is he? is he unmarried, a minor or over 21?

the only thing could be a waste of time and money on your mother as she doesn't seem interested in living here, and she must if she is going to file for your brother, as well as keep her GC

but other than that, there is no consequence for your citienzhip

No consequences to your citizenship, but she may not get or keep her greencard long enough to get your brother, plus you will be on the hook for her I-864, so there may be financial consequences. If you go ahead, I'd still file for the brother too (he can have two petitions pending at the same time), just in case the mother looses interest....

I will file for my brother, but I definitely do not want to file for my mother. I forgot about the 864, and I'm not willing to do that either.

wouldn't I get interviewed regarding her petition as well?

Edited by akihon

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

hi

ditto, nothing to do with your citizenship, you should file for your brother as well, how old is he? is he unmarried, a minor or over 21?

the only thing could be a waste of time and money on your mother as she doesn't seem interested in living here, and she must if she is going to file for your brother, as well as keep her GC

but other than that, there is no consequence for your citienzhip

he is unmarried and 25 years old.

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Timeline

wouldn't I get interviewed regarding her petition as well?

No, not normally, unless they have concerns about you two really being brothers. But if there are some photos from you two growing up, and birth certs naming the same parents, a sibling petition is normally straight forward. You would of course be responsible for his I-864, too.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What do you mean back into the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

No, not normally, unless they have concerns about you two really being brothers. But if there are some photos from you two growing up, and birth certs naming the same parents, a sibling petition is normally straight forward. You would of course be responsible for his I-864, too.

I meant for my parent. I almost want an interview so I can flat out say she has no intention of living in the US.

Edited by akihon

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

What do you mean back into the US?

His OPT runs out this July, and corporate has stated they will not sponsor an H1B for him. He is most likely leaving the US this August. My mother wants the PR to help get him back in.

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

what country is he from?

even if your mother came as a LPR, the wait is over 7 years, it could be more depending on which country he is from, and he would have to remain unmarried as long as your mom would be a LPR and living in the us, she can get a reentry permit and live out of US for 2 years but that's about it, she would have to return here and live in the US

if you file for him, it doesn't matter if he is unmarried or if later he marries he can bring his wife and children if he had them

Timeline

Does he have a US girlfriend or boyfriend?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

I meant for my parent. I almost want an interview so I can flat out say she has no intention of living in the US.

Ah no- same as with the brother, there is not normally an interview with the petitioner. All you do is send in forms.

mod penguin.jpg

hi

what country is he from?

even if your mother came as a LPR, the wait is over 7 years, it could be more depending on which country he is from, and he would have to remain unmarried as long as your mom would be a LPR and living in the us, she can get a reentry permit and live out of US for 2 years but that's about it, she would have to return here and live in the US

if you file for him, it doesn't matter if he is unmarried or if later he marries he can bring his wife and children if he had them

We are Malaysian. I looked up the wait time for my petition and it is currently about 12 years, which is the same time it will take for me to get mom her LPR and then citizenship and then get him in. You also mentioned he has to stay unmarried, which is something I didn't think about and 12 years is a long time.

Does he have a US girlfriend or boyfriend?

They broke up last year. It ended badly.

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Timeline

12 years might be pushing it. I would add a couple more but anything is a bit of a guess. Anyway sooner you file the better.

12 years might be pushing it. I would add a couple more but anything is a bit of a guess. Anyway sooner you file the better.

As in you think it'll take longer than 12 years? I don't think a couple years difference is worth getting my mother her fraudulent LPR just to get him back in.

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.