Mr. Big Dog

Where do racists in America live?

63 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

At least we know where you people live. Not that it wasn't known before...

MW-DK635_racism_20150428142603_NS.jpg

The most racist people in the U.S. appear to be clustered along the Appalachian Mountains from Georgia, through New York and all the way up to Vermont, the Washington Post reported Tuesday, citing a recent study from a scientific journal.

And how does one measure something as abstract as racism? This is where technology, or in this incidence, Google search, comes in handy. PLOS One used data on how often people searched a racial epithet on the Internet to determine where racists lived.

“Area racism was the proportion of Google searches containing the ‘N-word’ in 196 designated market areas,” the journal said.

This method, according to the Post, is more effective than it sounds because people are not constrained by typical social taboos when they conduct searches online, and the search results often tabulate with other metrics used by researchers studying race relations.

Aside from mapping racism in America, what is actually compelling about the study is that areas that showed high concentration of racist searches also correlated with high level of black mortality rate.

“DMAs characterized by a one standard deviation greater level of area racism were associated with an 8.2% increase in the all-cause Black mortality rate, equivalent to over 30,000 deaths annually,” said the journal.

To be sure, not everyone Googling the N-word is necessarily a bigot and the study provides no insight into racism against Hispanics or Asians who are often under-represented or marginalized in discussions about race.

Still, if there is anything positive to take away from this map, it is that flaming racism is relatively limited and concentrated in a few areas.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/where-do-racists-in-america-live-2015-04-28?dist=afterbell

So, some of the members here must reside close to the east coast, except for those that live in Texas...

At least we know where you people live. Not that it wasn't known before...

Someone is calling you out in another thread. He must be getting desperate...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Timeline

So, some of the members here must reside close to the east coast, except for those that live in Texas...

Someone is calling you out in another thread. He must be getting desperate...

There are some very desperate folks around here. If I have a minute to spare, I'll try to feel sorry for them.

There are some very desperate folks around here. If I have a minute to spare, I'll try to feel sorry for them.

Make it 30 seconds. All I can say is you must not be too happy if bashing people is your only joy...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

They are the most isolated thats probably why.

I cant tell if where I grew up (Saint Louis) is racist or not. I think its the green area with the little bump on the right which marks the meander in the Mississippi.

Where in STL did you grow up? I know the more racist areas were places like Jennings, St. Ann, and any place that was past the airport...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Finding a racist is like finding Waldo. You can look and look for his strips and funny hat and that's the hard way. Always remember he comes out when it's low tide, the bird's a'int a pickin, and he can toss his bait. Best response. Eat his bait and run away. It reallyPisses him off.

Racists and bigots are everywhere, in every state, city and town. Some places just have more of them than others. And it's not just against blacks either. I think just about everyone has some type of profiling, stereotyping or prejudging tendencies.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

“Area racism was the proportion of Google searches containing the ‘N-word’ in 196 designated market areas,” the journal said.

I laughed when I read this.. My area is green as green can be and it means nothing. Our black population is under 1% - we could all be racist but the topic rarely comes up... When people in inner cities call themselves or their friends by that term it is not racist, its just stupid gang culture . A quick glance at out local craigslist rants section and its all anti-mexican, anti-immigrant, heavy on the word "**" and the anti Hillary machine is now in full swing..

We could also build a similar map against whites, hungarians, eskimos, nerds, etc.. its a relative map with tiny tiny spread between red and green.

I despise "make news" stories like this.

Edited by OnMyWayID

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

It appears that wherever there are large populations of Blacks we have racist.

They only conclusion I can draw is that many Black people are racist. Something I already knew

Nothing new to see here

I laughed when I read this.. My area is green as green can be and it means nothing. Our black population is under 1% - we could all be racist but the topic rarely comes up... When people in inner cities call themselves or their friends by that term it is not racist, its just stupid gang culture . A quick glance at out local craigslist rants section and its all anti-mexican, anti-immigrant, heavy on the word "**" and the anti Hillary machine is now in full swing..

We could also build a similar map against whites, hungarians, eskimos, nerds, etc.. its a relative map with tiny tiny spread between red and green.

I despise "make news" stories like this.

I hear ####### ####### all day long at work, and it damn sure ain't coming from the White co-workers