Mr. Big Dog

Where do racists in America live?

63 posts in this topic

I was at the mall the other day and a group of black folks were in the food court . I heard the N word coming out of their mouths just about as fast as a SAW spitting bullets. The study wanted to prove correlation between using the N word and being racist ... That has always been clear. What group of folks use the N word all the time ?

I've been here about a month, and had this white guy call me that repeatedly for no reason. When I play online, it's the white kids and old adults that make sure I know they're talking to me when they say it. Do I get to use these people to say all white people are racist? Or is that something only you do?

you should try eavesdropping on some 14-15 year old white boys.

Funny that. I don't use them to judge all white people. Guess that's another privilege...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I've been here about a month, and had this white guy call me that repeatedly for no reason. When I play online, it's the white kids and old adults that make sure I know they're talking to me when they say it. Do I get to use these people to say all white people are racist? Or is that something only you do?

Funny that. I don't use them to judge all white people. Guess that's another privilege...

I'm with you on this issue Marv, I don't think the word should ever be used for any reason. My wife's 16 year old grandson uses it on fb and I want to reach through the screen and dope slap him every time he does.

I'm with you on this issue Marv, I don't think the word should ever be used for any reason. My wife's 16 year old grandson uses it on fb and I want to reach through the screen and dope slap him every time he does.

It shouldn't. I get more mad when black people use is based on the fact it was the last thing most black people heard right before their life ended. I know why they do it and why it's been "re-claimed", but I don't agree with it.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

Large numbers of whites do something = not fair to judge all whites.

One black or minority does something = entire race or ethnicity no ###### good.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's become part of the language of youth culture. Whether or not the word is used for racist intent, the word is indelibly tied with racism so anyone who uses it in communication isn't reclaiming the word for some ironic post modern purpose but is instead colluding with racism. Edited by Venkman

Timeline

Large numbers of whites do something = not fair to judge all whites.

One black or minority does something = entire race or ethnicity no ###### good.

People who think like that assume that people who belong to their group are individuals but everyone who isn't can be generalised against. It's ignorant.

also funny, i was listening to one of my old favorites "crooked officer" this morning. something from back in 1993, still completely relevant. also littered with that word. i was 14 when i had that cassette. since then rap is completely mainstream, so there's an entire generation of kids that have grown up hearing that word common place in a non derogatory manner. i think the tragedy in kids using that term nowadays is that they do not know or understand the complete history behind it. considering how whitewashed american history is and kids being dumber than they have been in the past. too much flouride and stuff..

People who think like that assume that people who belong to their group are individuals but everyone who isn't can be generalised against. It's ignorant.

But isn't all racism, bigotry, stereotyping, etc ignorance? We're all guilty of it in varying degrees.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

also funny, i was listening to one of my old favorites "crooked officer" this morning. something from back in 1993, still completely relevant. also littered with that word. i was 14 when i had that cassette. since then rap is completely mainstream, so there's an entire generation of kids that have grown up hearing that word common place in a non derogatory manner. i think the tragedy in kids using that term nowadays is that they do not know or understand the complete history behind it. considering how whitewashed american history is and kids being dumber than they have been in the past. too much flouride and stuff..

For the certain % of black people who use it, there's this belief that they've taken something from white people. And they can say it, but you can't. A marginal victory at best. Which is stupid to me, since I wouldn't want to own something so horrible.

But isn't all racism, bigotry, stereotyping, etc ignorance? We're all guilty of it in varying degrees.

Of being ignorant? Truth. Because you might not have knowledge of something, you can be ignorant of it. But, for racism and bigotry? You have to be taught that...

It's become part of the language of youth culture. Whether or not the word is used for racist intent, the word is indelibly tied with racism so anyone who uses it in communication isn't reclaiming the word for some ironic post modern purpose but is instead colluding with racism.

See my response to Val. But I can see where your coming from...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

It's become part of the language of youth culture. Whether or not the word is used for racist intent, the word is indelibly tied with racism so anyone who uses it in communication isn't reclaiming the word for some ironic post modern purpose but is instead colluding with racism.

Sad thing is that the word is thrown around so lightly nowadays that it's lost it's true meaning. I would gather that most teens who use the word have no idea the true history behind it.

Timeline

For the certain % of black people who use it, there's this belief that they've taken something from white people. And they can say it, but you can't. A marginal victory at best. Which is stupid to me, since I wouldn't want to own something so horrible.

Of being ignorant? Truth. Because you might not have knowledge of something, you can be ignorant of it. But, for racism and bigotry? You have to be taught that...

See my response to Val. But I can see where your coming from...

As I understand it's to get across an image of toughness and rejecting conventional authority systems. It's a code among black youth and urban youth culture.

Because of that it's difficult to debate in an open or objective way since it has a different meaning and a different power between whites and blacks.

It's another interesting aspect of linguistics.

Sad thing is that the word is thrown around so lightly nowadays that it's lost it's true meaning. I would gather that most teens who use the word have no idea the true history behind it.

It doesn't have a true meaning. It has the meaning that English speakers place upon it. The dominant meaning is that is a term of racist abuse, but if enough people use it in another context the meaning changes.

You can't be black here and NOT know the history behind it. They just choose not to pay attention because their friends are using it. Some rappers have made it a word they HAVE to use in every rhyme. Like a crutch or something. If I remember correctly, the show EMPIRE was trying to incorporate the word into the dialogue to make it more "authentic". I pray they don't...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

i don't believe that the majority of black people from the younger generation using the word are making a conscious decision about it's use. i don't think much thought is given to 'i can say it, you can't' premise because younger white people do in fact use it now like it's nothing. to all them, it is nothing.

that's what i'm saying, being a young teen in the early nineties when rap was starting to really gain momentum and movies like malcom x were being made and music videos like, can't trust it..i mean there was no way to avoid the weight of the word, even if i was hearing it used a 1,000 times a day. nowadays, what in the world do kids have to show them the broad scope of struggle - like reaching through popular culture? o.t genasis? a pg13 "selma"?

Edited by val erie

As I understand it's to get across an image of toughness and rejecting conventional authority systems. It's a code among black youth and urban youth culture.

Because of that it's difficult to debate in an open or objective way since it has a different meaning and a different power between whites and blacks.

It's another interesting aspect of linguistics.

It doesn't have a true meaning. It has the meaning that English speakers place upon it. The dominant meaning is that is a term of racist abuse, but if enough people use it in another context the meaning changes.

That's more of the word thug. The n-word now has become a term of endearment for some, like my brother. It's been used so much be some, it's become a nasty habit that takes a while to break. Trust me, I know....

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

i don't believe that the majority of black people from the younger generation using the word are making a conscious decision about it's use. i don't think much thought is given to 'i can say it, you can't' premise because younger white people do in fact use it now like it's nothing. to all them, it is nothing.

that's what i'm saying, being a young teen in the early nineties when rap was starting to really gain momentum and movies like malcom x were being made and music videos like, can't trust it..i mean there was no way to avoid the weight of the word, even if i was hearing it used a 1,000 times a day. nowadays, what in the world do kids have to show them the broad scope of struggle - like reaching through popular culture? o.t genasis? a pg13 "selma"?

This I agree with you on. There was a panel of older black people who were having this conversation about it, and that aspect of we can say it but you can't came up. Maybe the youth of now don't see a problem with saying it since it's heavily used in rotation.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg