e&z

KY drivers

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Don't believe me then but here is the link. As I stated I said it's a grey area if you are considered a permanent resident or not.

http://transportation.ky.gov/Driver-Licensing/Pages/Driver-License-ID-Card-General-Information.aspx

You will find the quote under the Out-of-State Drivers Transferring to Kentucky heading 3/4 of the way down the page.

That is specific to US Citizens and permanent residents who are moving within America and who already have a licence.

As I have said previously that same website links you to a specific section for Non US citizens/Non permanent residents who have never held any US driver's licence from any state previously-i.e applying for a new licence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
  • All non U.S. citizens must also provide proof of residency in Kentucky. Kentucky law defines "residency" as a person who has established Kentucky as his or her state of domicile. Proof of residency shall include, but not be limited to, a deed or property tax bill, utility agreement or utility bill or housing agreement.

It is all there, badly laid out and confusing as it maybe.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OK fair enough I can see where you're coming from. I guess it all boils down to whether you think you are a permanent resident of the US or on a work visa or visiting or anything else. My understanding was that as soon as you immigrated you were a permanent resident. My bad.

Timeline

No

Forget immigration.

KY are interested if you are domiciled in KY.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes, when I decide to apply as a Non- US Citizen and non permanent resident I shall have to prove my residency in KY. That is simply part of the process of applying for a Kentucky drivers licence, not a requirement for driving in Kentucky.

The way I understand it is as follows:

* The UK is part of the geneva compact.

* As it clearly states on the website and as I was told this morning : non us residents from geneva compact countries can drive on home licence for a year after entry.

*I can, if I want to apply for a US drivers licence as a non- US citizen/permanent resident.

*I can apply as a permeant resident once my green card has been approved.

The above are all true and independent from one another.

Edited by e&z

Timeline

I will therefore drive on my UK licence until either:

*I get permanent residency (my green card) and then apply as a permeant resident

OR

*it is getting to the end of my year allowance and I have not yet been approved for my green card. I will then apply for a US drivers licence as a Non US Citizen/non permanent resident.

I have done a bit of googling and have found testimonies specific to KY on a British expat forum who have done the above with no issue. Some even bypassed having to take the practical test by waiting for their green card to come in, as permanent residents in KY (from geneva compact countries) only have to take the written and visual test.

Edited by e&z

Getting your licence is so easy and will probably take a couple days. i already have mine for Texas, I did the online quiz which took about 3 days, and booked my driving test the day before, took 7 minutes and got the licence, and it cost something like $40 in total from what i remember. :) Nothing like in England!

Edited by JCV

Timeline

Yes, when I decide to apply as a Non- US Citizen and non permanent resident I shall have to prove my residency in KY. That is simply part of the process of applying for a Kentucky drivers licence, not a requirement for driving in Kentucky.

The way I understand it is as follows:

* The UK is part of the geneva compact.

* As it clearly states on the website and as I was told this morning : non us residents from geneva compact countries can drive on home licence for a year after entry.

*I can, if I want to apply for a US drivers licence as a non- US citizen/permanent resident.

*I can apply as a permanent resident once my green card has been approved.

The above are all true and independent from one another.

Visitors, can KY residents can not.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Unrelated posts split from this thread and moved to the "Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America" forum, with this thread title: "Status of Mother & Sisters' Cases? [split topic]."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

If anyone's interested in the Pennsylvania driving law on this particular subject, I thought I'd share:

Can I drive in Pennsylvania with my Foreign Driver's License?

Individuals who possess a valid foreign driver's license from their country are authorized to drive in Pennsylvania for up to one year from their date of entry into the United States, or upon expiration of their foreign license, whichever comes first. International driving permits are strongly recommended, but not required.

Our CR1 Journey

Met - 1/14/2010 // Engaged - 3/6/2011

K1 filed - 6/8/11 // Interview @ Mumbai Consulate - 1/5/2012: Denied // USCIS final decision - 3/15/2013; administratively closed and free to file again without prejudice

Married in Delhi - 1/30/2014

Sent I-130: 4/7/2014 NOA 1: 4/10/2014

NOA 2: 11/13/2014 (after 217 days)

NVC Received: 11/26/2014 (13 days from USCIS to the NVC)  // Case # & IIN # received - 12/29/2014 (via phone to NVC) Also sent email to get case transferred to New Delhi

NVC Welcome Letter received: 12/30/2014

Submit DS-261: 12/30/2014 // Paid AOS Bill: 1/2/2015  // Received IV Bill & Paid: 1/13/2015 (CEAC shows PAID 1/15/15) // DS-260 submitted: 1/17/2015

AOS & IV packages sent via FedEx: 1/19/2015  // AOS/IV packages received: 1/21/2015 @ 9:58 am (Signed for by: G. Waters) Scan date: 1/21/2015

60-Day Email from NVC: 1/24/2015 2nd 60-Day Email from NVC: 1/26/2015 (OK...I get it, it's taking 60 days.... sigh)

Reply from NVC re: Transfer to New Delhi : 2/16/2015 (Told to contact New Delhi...49 days wasted for no help at all!)

CASE COMPLETE!!: 3/12/2015 (50 days) // Case Complete Email Received: 3/19/2015 (7 days from CC date)

Interview Date Received via phone inquiry to NVC: 3/24/2015 // Packet 4 (Interview letter/Instructions) received: 3/25/2015

Medical Completed: 3/30/2015 // CEAC status: In transit to Mumbai and shows READY as of 4/1/2015

Biometrics Completed: 5/4/2015 // Received call from Embassy 5/11/2015 asking if we want to transfer to Delhi.....huh? One week prior to interview? Ummm.... no thanks!

INTERVIEW!! 5/18/2015 @ 7:30 am ~ Mumbai Consulate  RESULT: APPROVED!!!

Visa in hand: 05/20/2015 (Yay!) ELIS Fee ($165) paid this day as well

POE: 05/29/2015 Newark 

SSN card received: 6/8/2015 (processed on 6/2/2015) // ELIS shows "Optimized" since 5/30/2015  // ELIS changed to "In Process" 07/14/2015. (E-file received 06/25/15)

GREEN CARD RECEIVED!! 7/30/2015

ROC

Sent:  3/22/2017 | $680 Check cashed: 4/3/2017

NOA1: 3/30/2017 (Rcvd 4/3/2017)

Biometrics Appt letter received: 4/22/2017 - Biometrics date:  5/3/2017 - Done. Hubby said they were super friendly in the Pittsburgh field office! 

Timeline

Visitors, can KY residents can not.

Again, not true.

I heard it from the officers at the DMV this morning.

It states clearly on their website that ALL non-us citizens can drive for a year

AND

I attach the following

post-191120-0-12990400-1430253507_thumb.png

ETA: sorry its small but if you click on it, it solves the matter completely. Explicitly states that new residents to Kentucky are able to apply for a drivers permit or use their old home licence for a year. From DMV.com

Sorry if i've come across as short but I found conflicting info when I was researching which confused me and stopped me from driving a lot earlier than I should have been. I wanted to clear the matter up for any future new KY residents goggling the matter :)

Edited by e&z

I am also a resident of KY, just wanted to confirm what e&z posted. When we were preparing for my fiancé to enter the US I contacted the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, to verify the details for him driving legally.

I received the response below:

"Someone that has entered the country on a K1 visa can apply for a KY license with the following documents:

1. Visa, Passport and I-94

2. Social Security Card

3. Original or certified copy of marriage certificate (name must match petitioner on visa if present)

4. If the I-94 is expired must have either Notice of Action from immigration showing applied for Permanent Resident Card or form G-711 with I-485 circled.

5. Proof of address within last 60 days in their name.

Your fiancé can drive on the UK license for up to one-year while he is waiting to get everything that is required."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.