Jump to content

Figuring out fastest route to get 15 year old daughter from UK to US

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am a naturalized US citizen, and I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to bring my 15 year old daughter from the UK to live with me in the US. I have been reading through the USCIS web site, and saw that the processing time for an i-130 at the California service center is up to five months, which concerns me as my daughter is in a delicate situation at home in the UK, and I want to get her out of it ASAP for her health. I have seen some mention in this and other forums about adjusting status once she is legally in the US, but nothing defines what "legally in the US" really means. Applying for an immigrant visa will take as long as the i-130, and I've seen conflicting stories about her coming in on a non-immigrant visa such as a B-2 and adjusting status once she is here. Are there any alternative routes that I could take to get her over here ASAP under any status and then adjust to a green card if she decides to stay?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Student Visa?

An immigrant visa will take about a year, sooner you file the better.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Boiler, a student visa will probably be your best bet.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif


September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's below college level, it has to be at a private school -- cannot attend public school on an F1. Well, you can for 1 year after paying the public school district the complete, unsubsidized cost of the year's schooling -- which is frequently as much as or more than private school fees -- plus, private school saves the student from having to transfer after one year, which can be traumatic in the middle of high school. In addition, you have to clearly demonstrate there is no immigrant intent, i.e., that the student plans to study in the US and then return to their home country. That is difficult to do in cases like this...which is why a student visa is frequently not "the answer" that many people think it is. Good luck in your process.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fastest legal way? Geee is there such a thing? So many people wants to go to the USA, there's a long line already...

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.