Lauren2013

expedite... is it possible?

12 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, my case is with the nvc and I'm about yo turn in the aos and the IV files as soon as I get hold of the aos files from the sponsor. I was wondering. My husband is a Yemeni citizen, there is a war currently in yemen. All airport and ports are in lockdown there. If my husband finds a way to fled to another country lelet's say Djibouti or Somalia or any other country.. is it possible for me to requ eat an expedite for my husband's case? If so, how do I do it? Thank you!

Warning: If you apply for an expedite, be warned that if you have any pending packages (re: not reviewed yet), then NVC may not go around digging for it when they forward your package off. If that's the case, then NVC should return the package to you once they do get to it, but it may be past the interview by then. So, you'll need to re-create the package to bring to the interview. So, if you want to apply for an expedite, it's best to do it BEFORE sending any packages.

I read this on

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

it's a pretty useful link.I was confused on what this ment... what does expeditING a case do exactly?

If approved it bypasses the NVC and sends the case to the consulate or embassy for interview asap.

Your husband cannot interview anywhere that he is not a legal resident.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Expediting is meant for medical and sincere family emergencies and the like, not just because you want to get things done faster. Abuse of the system.

Expedites also happen due to deployment of a military petitioner to a war zone, natural disasters, and extreme danger to the beneficiary, like they are in the direct line of fire in a war zone.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Expediting is meant for medical and sincere family emergencies and the like, not just because you want to get things done faster. Abuse of the system.

The reason why I need an expedite is because there is a war currently in yemen the country where my husband is. All airport are in lockdown. If my husband can escape and go to Djibouti or some other country can I expedite the case ..

If approved it bypasses the NVC and sends the case to the consulate or embassy for interview asap.

Your husband cannot interview anywhere that he is not a legal resident.

How about if there is a war in the country he is a citizen of. Can I have the interview in another american embassy in amother country?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The reason why I need an expedite is because there is a war currently in yemen the country where my husband is. All airport are in lockdown. If my husband can escape and go to Djibouti or some other country can I expedite the case ..

How about if there is a war in the country he is a citizen of. Can I have the interview in another american embassy in amother country?

He can only interview in a country in which he is a citizen of or legally resides in. War is not always a reason to expedite Edited by Transborderwife

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Only under the following conditions can an interview occur in another country based on the circumstances you posted:

• If the Embassy he is a citizen of has completely suspended operations due to said war in the country (Syria and Yemen for example)
  • If an Embassy has suspended operations, another Embassy in an alternate country will be designated for interviews. The interview can only be done at the designated Embassy.

To interview in Djibouti, an applicant must show legal residence. Djibouti has not been designated as an alternate interview location so there will be no interviewing there without showing legal residence.

The US currently does not maintain an Embassy in Somalia at this time, no interview there will be possible.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Timeline

Only under the following conditions can an interview occur in another country based on the circumstances you posted:

• If the Embassy he is a citizen of has completely suspended operations due to said war in the country (Syria and Yemen for example)
  • If an Embassy has suspended operations, another Embassy in an alternate country will be designated for interviews. The interview can only be done at the designated Embassy.

To interview in Djibouti, an applicant must show legal residence. Djibouti has not been designated as an alternate interview location so there will be no interviewing there without showing legal residence.

The US currently does not maintain an Embassy in Somalia at this time, no interview there will be possible.

The information re Djibouti is not accurate for the current situation in Yemen. Although Cairo has been designated as the Embassy for processing Yemeni immigrant visas, the State Dept website (http://yemen.usembassy.gov/visas.html) states that Yemeni who are physically present in Djibouti and cannot travel to another post can process their IV there, but may need remain in Djibouti for an extended period of time. Since Egypt is now requiring visas for Yemeni citizens (they didn't used to), I think this is to help people who might not get an Egpytian visa.

Word of caution (trying to provide some realisim to the discussion) --- IMO, it is unlikely that the Embassy will agree to expedite processing because of the unfortunate situation in Yemen. Were they to do so, they would have to be prpared to do so for every Yemeni applicant; doing that would overwhelm the Cairo or Djibouti Embassy workloads, disadvantaging the citizens of the country they are officially assigned to work in. And, in the Embassy view, if they are in Egypt or Djibouti for processing, they are no longer in the danger zones in Yemen, so the reason for expediting no longer exists. Further complicating an expedite request, is the fact that there is currently a large backlog of applications that are pending interview appointment, made worse by the number of times the Sanaa Embassy had to suspend consular services because of the situation there...hard to single out one to expedite when all are facing the same situation in country. I don't mean to sound harsh and uncaring, but think a little realism may help keep expectations somewhat in line. Just my opinion.....

Edited by jan22

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No harm asking, having said that you could say something similar for any Muslim country, so if everybody is effectively expedited nothing changes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What do you guys suggest I do then. My husband's work is currently closed in yemen because of the war. He isn't earning any money from anywhere. What is a fast way to get him here by my side. I can't sleep the night without worrying about him. This situation is stressing me out and I'm afraid my stress would be reflected to my grades in college.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No harm asking.

Focus on your studies otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What do you guys suggest I do then. My husband's work is currently closed in yemen because of the war. He isn't earning any money from anywhere. What is a fast way to get him here by my side. I can't sleep the night without worrying about him. This situation is stressing me out and I'm afraid my stress would be reflected to my grades in college.

There is no "fast" way. Immigration is never fast. Request the expedite, it doesn't hurt. After you've done that you've done all that you can do from your end. Hope for the best and continue with day to day life as hard as it is.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.