Cara Mia

Dual Citizenship with Canada and the USA?

83 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a Canadian citizen, born there. I am currently living in the USA and going through ROC for my permanent residency, which I got through marriage to my American husband. I had never planned on going through the naturalization process, because very early on someone who has dual citizenship told me that it is no longer allowed, and only people who had it previous to whatever change made that happen, would be allowed to keep it. Now I have stumbled on some info that says dual citizenship is possible. So I Googled and did some reading, and I am very confused. I think this may actually be possible, but I am not sure.

Does anyone know 100% for sure that it is still possible for a Canadian born citizen living in the USA with permanent residency to apply for Naturalization and get that, and still be able to keep Canadian Citizenship? And if so, is it after 3 years or 5 years that you can apply? I have read both, and I realize that it depends on the situation. But I have read that people who became permanent residents through marriage are eligible at 5 year in the guide here on this site (though the same guide says 3 years in a different spot), but in reading posts on this site, I see 3 years often stated. The part that worries me is in the guide I also saw that Naturalization requires a person to renounce citizenship in other countries.

Ultimately, I would really like a couple of links to USA/Canadian government websites that states for fact that yes it is possible or no it is is not, and if it is, then the requirement for years lived in the USA before you can apply for Naturlization. I have tried to find these links myself, but after a couple of hours of searching and reading conflicting information, my mind is mush.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Edited by Cara Mia

Dual is allowed.. Not sure whether or not you can apply after 3 or 5 years though.

K-1

04/20/2012- I-129F Package Sent!

04/25/2012- NOA1

07/31/2012- NOA2

08/06/2012- NOA2 Hard-copy

08/08/2012- NVC Received

08/13/2012- NVC Left

08/17/2012- Consulate Received

08/17/2012- Packet 3 Received

08/20/2012- Packet 3 Sent

08/20/2012- Packet 4 Received

08/23/2012- Medical

09/04/2012- Interview---Approved smile.png

11/20/2012- POE Blue Water Bridge

11/24/2012- Wedding!!

AOS

12/24/2012- AOS Mailed

01/02/2013- NOA1,AOS, EAD/AP

01/25/2013- Biometrics

02/20/2013- EAD & AP Approved

03/04/2013- EAD & AP Combo Card Received

07/29/2013- AOS Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, there is a lot of misinformation out there. I was under the same impression for a while too - someone told me that only the children of US and foreign parents could have dual citizenship. But in actuality, as the other posters say, you don't have to relinquish your Canadian citizenship if you become a citizen of another country. I believe that after three years of continuous and ongoing marriage to a US citizen, you are eligible to apply. Someone else can confirm.

Edited by templeton

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can apply for naturalization and be a dual citizen. No worries, there are thousands of dual Canadian/American citizens out there, especially in Hollywood.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

3 years through marriage to a USC otherwise 5.

Lots of dual Canadian/US.

The official guide has a good description for required presence in the US if you have been out a lot.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I believe that after three years of continuous and ongoing marriage to a US citizen, you are eligible to apply. Someone else can confirm.

Not quite. You need to be married and an LPR for 3 years provided you meet the presence requirement. You do have to send in relationship evidence, again. If you wait until the 5 year mark, you do not.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not quite. You need to be married and an LPR for 3 years provided you meet the presence requirement. You do have to send in relationship evidence, again. If you wait until the 5 year mark, you do not.

Thanks for clarifying!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes dual is allowed. I am. Just that in the eyes of thr American Govt you are soley a USA citizen. When u come into the USA, you have to show your USA passport. Where as when i head back to Canada, I can use my Cdn or American passport.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's technically 3 years from the LPR date on the green card. So (if you're like us), my husband didn't get his physical green card until we'd already been married 8 months, so he can apply for citizenship when we've been married 3 years and 8 months (minus the 90 day filing window).

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

I think (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's technically 3 years from the LPR date on the green card. So (if you're like us), my husband didn't get his physical green card until we'd already been married 8 months, so he can apply for citizenship when we've been married 3 years and 8 months (minus the 90 day filing window).

Yes that's one of the deficiencies of the K1 visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It's one of the more minor issues with the visa.

I just wanted to clarify the 3 year rule for anyone else looking to apply for citizenship!

K1 Visa Process AOS Process

Mar 18 2013: I-129F mailed to CSC Nov 15 2013: I-485 with EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox

Sept 19 2013: Interview - Approved!! Jan 25 2014: EAD/AP Card Received

Oct 6 2013: POE - Chicago O'Hare June 2 2014: Permanent Resident Card Received!

Oct 27 2013: Wedding!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

You all have made my day! There was no way I would ever give up my Canadian citizenship, I love Canada far too much, so I thought I would just be a permanent resident for as long as I lived in the USA, now I know I can do both. Thanks!

It's one of the more minor issues with the visa.

I just wanted to clarify the 3 year rule for anyone else looking to apply for citizenship!

I can see how it wouldn't be clear, maybe. I always thought people knew they weren't an LPR until they received their green card, but I guess someone may be confused about that period of authorized stay when a K1 is adjusting their status. It's rather like limbo. You're here but not really here... LOL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.