Lauren and Babak

Tax Help - K-1 visa, married in 2014, SSN, now what?!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out my taxes and have no clue what to do - hoping some of you have gone through this and can offer some insight. I'm a US citizen. My husband came to the US in September 2014 on a K-1 visa. We were married on October 3, 2014 and promptly filed AOS paperwork. He received his temporary work status/advanced parole card and SSN in 2015. He has no income in the US or his home country in 2014, so I basically want to claim him on my taxes to reduce my liability. We should file MFJ, but I can't find a lot of information on anything "special" we need to do for him. I've read that we need to file a affidavit to say that he meets the minimum standard for time in the US in 2014, but can't find specifics.

My taxes are quite straightforward other than the issue of adding him. I've always used TurboTax without any problem. I have an appointment with an accountant next weekend (from one of those big box type places), but I would love to figure this out myself if possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated (even if it is a recommendation to use a tax prep service this time!)

Take care,

Lauren

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi Lauren,

You can not "claim" your spouse on a joint tax return. You are co-taxpayers.

You do not need an affidavit. You simply file a joint return with both SSNs. The SSN is the only requirement for your husband.

If you used Turbotax before, then it's quite simple to elect for your husband to be treated as a resident for tax purposes.

The big box tax preparers hire normal people and give them a few weeks of training. They are pretty useless IMHO.

Best of luck

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out my taxes and have no clue what to do - hoping some of you have gone through this and can offer some insight. I'm a US citizen. My husband came to the US in September 2014 on a K-1 visa. We were married on October 3, 2014 and promptly filed AOS paperwork. He received his temporary work status/advanced parole card and SSN in 2015. He has no income in the US or his home country in 2014, so I basically want to claim him on my taxes to reduce my liability. We should file MFJ, but I can't find a lot of information on anything "special" we need to do for him. I've read that we need to file a affidavit to say that he meets the minimum standard for time in the US in 2014, but can't find specifics.

My taxes are quite straightforward other than the issue of adding him. I've always used TurboTax without any problem. I have an appointment with an accountant next weekend (from one of those big box type places), but I would love to figure this out myself if possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated (even if it is a recommendation to use a tax prep service this time!)

Take care,

Lauren

Got to go along with Aaron2020, you can't get any more straight forward than turbo tax. Just answering the questions on Turbo Tax very easy. Don't waste money doing what you can do yourself.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

TurboTax will definitely do the job for you. -- at a fraction of the price. There is absolutely nothing special about your filing -- just walk through TurboTax one step at a time and follow all the directions.

I would cancel your appointment and use the money you save for a night on the town with hubby.

Hi all,

Take care,

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Maybe you can take advantage of this service if it is available in your area,

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Free-Tax-Return-Preparation-for-You-by-Volunteers

Thanks

• 061615 (day 0) - I-130, I-131, I-765 and I-485 sent
  • 061715 (day 1) - I-130, I-131, I-765 and I-485 received at USCIS
  • 062415 (day 😎 - I-130, I-131, I-765 and I-485 notice date
  • 062615 (day 10) - NOA hardcopies received for I-130, I-131, I-765 and I-485
  • 070115 (day 15) - Suspended processing of case I-485 RFE
  • 070915 (day 23) - RFE Hardcopy received, I-94 missing
  • 071115 (day 25) - Sent RFE material to Lee's Summit MO
  • 071515 (day 29) - USCIS officially received RFE, started working on case again
  • 081815 (day 63) - Appointment Notice Date, Biometrics Appt. for I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-765
  • 082015 (day 65) - NOA hard copy about Biometrics Appt. for I-485, I-130, I-131 and I-765
  • 082415 (day 69) - Email notice AP (I-131) and EAD (I-765) approved
  • 091715 (day 93) - Biometrics Appt.
  • 091815 (day 94) - Email notice EAD (I-765) card ordered
  • 092315 (day 99) - Email notice EAD (I-765) card has been mailed
  • 092615 (day 102) - EAD/AP card delivered in mailbox
  • 011516 (day 152) - Still waiting........ :clock:
  • 021116 (day 179) - Finally received inteview letter, but didn't notice until a week later hehe....guess I'm tired of checking the mailbox every day.
  • 032316 (day 220) - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED :dancing: !!!

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks for all of the information! I spent a little time today researching the general information shared and it seems you are correct. Babak doesn't qualify as a resident alien because he wasn't in the country 183+ days over the last three years, but he does qualify as a nonresident alien. It looks like I can elect to have him considered as a resident alien for tax purposes, as long as we claim any income earned out of the country (which in our case was zero).

Given this info, I went through TurboTax and entered his information, just as I would if he were another US citizen. I recommended the standard MFJ deduction. All pretty easy.

Just to confirm - there is no additional paperwork that needs to be filed to show that I'm electing to have my nonres alien spouse counted as a resident alien for tax purposes?

Thanks again,

Lauren

Thanks for all of the information! I spent a little time today researching the general information shared and it seems you are correct. Babak doesn't qualify as a resident alien because he wasn't in the country 183+ days over the last three years, but he does qualify as a nonresident alien. It looks like I can elect to have him considered as a resident alien for tax purposes, as long as we claim any income earned out of the country (which in our case was zero).

Given this info, I went through TurboTax and entered his information, just as I would if he were another US citizen. I recommended the standard MFJ deduction. All pretty easy.

Just to confirm - there is no additional paperwork that needs to be filed to show that I'm electing to have my nonres alien spouse counted as a resident alien for tax purposes?

Thanks again,

Lauren

You must make the election in writing. You each sign the statement and submit with your tax return. Details of what to include in the statement are in Pub 519 or here http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Spouse-Treated-as-a-Resident

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.