kaczkl25

Question about i864 and i864a

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My dad is my joint sponsor (i864) and my mom is filling out the i864a. My parents file taxes jointly and make no individual income (they own a business 50-50).

My question is:

On the i864 does my dad need to make any mention of my mom (this would only cause the numbers to be doubled, because they make the same income and own the same assets). Or can she just fill out the i864a, with out any mention of her at all in the i864?

Thank you in advance! I´m very confused and would really appreciate your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

she fills out the i864A but she adds her income to your dad's on his i864, the i864A is a contract between them, so he adds her on his household size and income

In part 5 he adds her as household size and in part 6 he adds her information and income

the sum of both incomes should match their taxes

what individual income did they make?

Edited by aleful

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Duplicate thread removed; please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Thank you. What I meant is that they make the same income. My parents both own their business. My dad receives Social Security retirement, but includes that on the joint tax return. My mom has no other income besides the business and my dad´s social security (is that considered her income too because it is on the joint return??), so I am confused what my dad will put for her on his i864 for the financial portion since my mom doesn´t contribute any extra income to the household.

Edited by kaczkl25

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

so how much individual income did she make

if she has her own business, how much of a salary did she make?

so she worked for free and didn't have any type of salary?

When they pay themselves, do they write put a check to each person or both as a couple or one person?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I´m sorry I don´t think I am being clear in what I´m asking. I try to call the help line and it´s always busy. :(

Legally and financially they take care of everything as a couple. They both own it, but my dad does all of the work. My only concern/question is:

When my dad puts in his annual income the number will be the complete total for the entire household (my dad, my mom, and the intending immigrant). I just want to know if my dad needs to mention my mom on his I 864, since she as a household member BUT has no other income to add?

For example, let´s say my dad puts $40,000 as his total annual income (business earning + Social security). $40,000 is the number on the tax transcript. My parents file jointly, so that $40,000 is my mom´s total too. She has nothing extra to add.

I understand if she DID HAVE additional income, he would need to mention her, put her additional income and then check the box that states she has filled out an I864a. However, since she has no additional income from what is already being listed, can she just fill out the I864a WITHOUT having the box checked and that section filled out on my dad´s I864?

The only reason I am even having her fill out the I864a is because all taxes are filed jointly and all assets in both of their names and I want to be one the cautious side if they request that she has a I864a.

Thank you for your patience and I really appreciate your help!

Edited by kaczkl25

No if your mother does not actually work, even though her name is on the business, then she does NOT need to submit an I-864a. Unless they're willing to figure out how each person is paid individually, or what portion of the assets each owns, you shouldn't need an I-864a for your mother. If you send one, without recording it appropriately on the I-864 you WILL get a checklist for the I-864.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you. I have one more question. Could my parents split the income from the business, for example my dad puts 50% + Social security and my mom would put 50% of the business income on my dad's 1864? (and then she fill out the I864a with that 50%)

Or when splitting the money would it have to have been done officially in some way throughout the year?

Thank you. I have one more question. Could my parents split the income from the business, for example my dad puts 50% + Social security and my mom would put 50% of the business income on my dad's 1864? (and then she fill out the I864a with that 50%)

Or when splitting the money would it have to have been done officially in some way throughout the year?

Even a joint sponsor needs to show how they make their income. So unless you can show how they're employed? Self employed income normally is shown via tax return.

Timeline

They file taxes with all of the appropriate tax forms for self-employment. By any chance do you know which form would show the information I´m looking for?

No, I'm not self employed. Hopefully someone who is can tell you.

Timeline

Sorry to bug you all again. I got the income part figured out for my joint sponsor (my dad) and his household member (my mom).

Now I have a question about assets. For assets that my parents split 50-50, will my dad just write half of the asset value on his I 864 and my mom write the other half on her I 864a?

For example: if savings account is $50,000. Dad writes $25,000 on i864 and mom writes $25,000 on i864a?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by kaczkl25

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.