Eric-Pris

Possible to get K-1 visa while in US on an F-1?

5 posts in this topic

I know this guy from another board that is bringing his girlfriend to the US. He wants to see if there's a future with her. So he enrolled her in some bs english school there and some school here in the US either accepted her or they applied, not sure which. Anyway, their plan is to use the F-1 as a 6 month trial and because it's faster and cheaper than K-1. He non-chalantly says this on a public board, like it's no big deal. The fact that he's helping her commit visa fraud doesn't seem to sink in.

And his lawyer is telling him that once she's here, it's "easy" to "convert" the F-1 to a K-1. And that she wouldn't have to leave the country. I don't know all the rules but I think you have to attend the K-1 interview. Also, I think that if they were to marry, then she could adjust status without leaving, but I'm not sure if that's allowed from an F-1. But she'd need to show that she entered without intent to stay, which is clearly not the case. She has every intention of staying in the US if she likes it here and their relationship lasts those 6 months.

My question is whether was his lawyer is telling him is correct?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K1 interview will occur at an overseas US embassy/consulate. There are no US embassy/consulates in the US.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like you have misunderstood.

Does she have a F1, might not be so easy to get.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.