Gitana

Being married but filing as single?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My husband was working only 3 month during 2014 from May to August. We got married overseas in October 2014 and I am non-resident alien. while filing tax return for 2014 he used single status because his W-4 had single status and he sad that putting married filing separately will confuse all the calculation.
Is it going to affect our application when we submit affidavit of support and at the interview as well?

I found this information :

"Only three exceptions allow you to claim single status on your W-4 if you are married,The last exception applies when either you or your spouse is considered a nonresident alien for tax purposes."

Anyone had the same situation? I will appreciate any advice since my husband is really stubborn on this issue and claiming he had to file as single since i don't even live in US

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This IRS publication directly addresses your situation -- it is easier than it looks -- just find the EXACT situation you are in, and it will tell you exactly what to do.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/index.html

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

http://finance.zacks.com/can-file-single-taxes-am-married-nonresident-alien-7364.html

When you are married to a nonresident alien, how you file your income taxes is your decision. The Internal Revenue Service grants you the ability to treat your spouse as a resident alien and file jointly or you can waive that provision and file separately. You are still married, however, and are not allowed to file under the single status.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If it helps - My wife was told by the lady at the IRS office that if you were single during the tax year and your partner is still out of the country file as single - but if you got married during the tax year file as single.

E.g my wife and I got married in Jan 31 - this was after the 2013 tax year so she filed single...

I wrote a quick note about it on our package into the NVC

If it helps - My wife was told by the lady at the IRS office that if you were single during the tax year and your partner is still out of the country file as single - but if you got married during the tax year file as single.

E.g my wife and I got married in Jan 31 - this was after the 2013 tax year so she filed single...

Timeline

You are saying that if we were maried during tax year he still can file as single if I was out of the country?

Edited by Gitana

Timeline

It doesn't matter what his status on the w-4 or W-2. It his responsibility to fill in the W-4 and inform his employer of his marital status. If he had informed his employer that he was married, he could have changed his status to married.

Your husband can not file as single. He must file as married filing separately. If he gets an ITIN for you, the two of you can file as married filing jointly.

Timeline

http://www.taxgirl.com/ask-the-taxgirl-nonresident-spouse/

Ask the Taxgirl: Nonresident Spouse

Single. Seems easy enough. You can file as single if you were never legally married under the laws of the US (meaning, really, that same-sex couples who might be married abroad must still file as single in the US); you were legally separated or divorced according to the laws of your state (in states like Pennsylvania where there is no legal separation, this means your choices are only married or divorced) or you were widowed before the last tax year and did not remarry during the tax year.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No I am saying if you were NOT married during the tax year you were filing for you could file as single, I am not saying it, the lady at the IRS office said it.

Timeline

The argument my husband has that since his W2 states he is single he cannot file as married. He couldn't correct his W2 either because he stopped working for that company before we got married and left US.

Timeline

The argument my husband has that since his W2 states he is single he cannot file as married. He couldn't correct his W2 either because he stopped working for that company before we got married and left US.

Doesn't matter what is on his W-2 since his status is self reporting. He can not file as single.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am on the same boat. I understand that I can't file as single. I tried to file my tax today as married filing separate but I could not put my spouse SSN because she doesn't have one yet. I'm not sure when she will get her SSN because she won't arrive here until April. What can I do?

hjY2m7.png

03/11/14 - I130 sent to Phoenix Lockbox
03/14/14 - I130 delivered
03/17/14 - NOA1 received, case routed to Nebraska Service Center
09/03/14 - NOA2 received, case sent to NVC
09/10/14 - Package shipped to NVC
10/01/14 - Package scanned at NVC (no case number yet)
10/15/14 - Received case number and invoice number
10/24/14 - Complete and submitted DS-261
11/03/14 - Received AOS bill and IV bill
11/05/14 - Paid both AOS bill and IV bill
11/06/14 - Complete and submitted DS-260

01/14/15 - Email received with interview date for 02/18/15

02/18/15 - Interviewed and APPROVED!!
02/21/15 - Visa and passport received in the mail.

04/15/15 - POE

-------------------

01/15/17 - I-751 sent to CSC.

02/09/17 - NOA Received, conditional resident status extended 1 year.

03/09/17 - Biometric completed.

03/01/18 - I-551 stamped at local office.

04/05/18 - Receive notice that case transferred to local office.

08/03/18 - Received RFE notice in the mail.

09/10/18 - Mailed out RFE package.

09/13/18 - RFE packaged received at Nebraska office.

09/21/18 - Status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

09/24/18 - Status changed to "Case was Approved".

Agreeing with aaron2020.

It does not matter what the W2 says. The IRS does not care. What he puts on his tax return matters.

On December 31, 2014, was he an unmarried man? If so, he files single.

-or-

On December 31, 2014, was he a married man? If so, he files Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly. You would need an ITIN or Social Security number for him to choose Jointly.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.