S Mehdi

Girlfriend not citizen yet - File marriage-based visa or wait and file fiance visa?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I'm in Pakistan and my girlfriend is in the United States. We are not married or engaged yet, but we can get either married or engaged in June 2015 if there are no other options. She got her green card under the Violence Against Women Act (She was previously force-married to a horrible, abusive US citizen) and can apply for citizenship in December 2015.

My questions are:

• When she applies for her Citizenship in Dec 2015, how long before she receives her citizenship and be able to file for me?
  • If we get married in June 2015 and apply for a marriage-based visa, is it going to be any faster than applying for the same after her citizenship?
  • Will it be faster to wait for her to get citizenship and file a fiance visa for me? If we plan for this, we won't marry in June but just have an engagement instead.
  • What if I apply for a student visa before we are married or engaged and get denied? Will the denied visa affect our ability to obtain a spouse or fiance visa? Is it even legal to apply for a student visa if your girlfriend is in the US?

I'm really confused here and your help can save us months! Would be really grateful if someone can guide me here.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Fiancé visa K1 can be applied only if the petitioner is USC. Some experienced folks will answer your questions.

K1

08/Jan/2015 - I129F sent to Dallas

14/Jan/2015 - Email received - case has been accepted and routed to CSC - NOA1

18/Feb/2015 - Case Approved on USCIS - NOA2

04/Mar/2015 - NVC received the case

13/Mar/2015 - Singapore Embassy received the case

19/Mar/2015 - Packet 3 Received

20/Mar/2015 - Packet 3 Sent

AOS/ AP/ EAD

18/Jul/2015 - I-485/I-131/I-765 filed

24/Jul/2015 - NOA for all 3

24/Aug/2015 - Biometrics done but it was originally scheduled for 17/Aug/2015

I'm in Pakistan and my girlfriend is in the United States. We are not married or engaged yet, but we can get either married or engaged in June 2015 if there are no other options. She got her green card under the Violence Against Women Act (She was previously force-married to a horrible, abusive US citizen) and can apply for citizenship in December 2015.

My questions are:

• When she applies for her Citizenship in Dec 2015, how long before she receives her citizenship and be able to file for me? - Not sure
  • If we get married in June 2015 and apply for a marriage-based visa, is it going to be any faster than applying for the same after her citizenship? -It's slower to bring a spouse of an LPR to the USA than a spouse of a USC. However she can upgrade the casefile once citizenship is obtained if she files before citizenship. That is the route I recommend if you're already married.
  • Will it be faster to wait for her to get citizenship and file a fiance visa for me? If we plan for this, we won't marry in June but just have an engagement instead. -Generally it's faster to get the visa after initial petition filing for a fiance than for a spouse but there are pros and cons for each visa type and you should look them over. Not being able to work for 90 days or more after filing for your AOS (after marriage) may make you feel useless if you're used to working.
  • What if I apply for a student visa before we are married or engaged and get denied? Will the denied visa affect our ability to obtain a spouse or fiance visa? Is it even legal to apply for a student visa if your girlfriend is in the US? -Yes it's legal and you can try if you are accepted at a US university or college. What is illegal is to use the student visa for the purpose of coming here to stay. Having a denied visa of another type (student or tourist for example) doesn't affect the current visa type but must be declared.

I'm really confused here and your help can save us months! Would be really grateful if someone can guide me here.

Answers in red.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you both .. And especially proudly Canadian for your detailed response. Very helpful.

I think the main points remain that if we get married in June 2015 and file for the spouse visa and later upgrade to citizen when she gets her citizenship ... Is that going to be any faster than waiting for her to become a USC and then filing a fiance visa?

Thank you both .. And especially proudly Canadian for your detailed response. Very helpful.

I think the main points remain that if we get married in June 2015 and file for the spouse visa and later upgrade to citizen when she gets her citizenship ... Is that going to be any faster than waiting for her to become a USC and then filing a fiance visa?

I don't know so hopefully someone who has naturalized can tell you that.

IMHO, it's less about "which is faster" and more about "which is better for us."

For instance I know that the fiance visa is the faster route but my husband and I chose the CR1 route because it was better. I needed to be able to travel right away and wanted to be able to work.

Also most Pakistani males are put into a period of administrative processing. You may want to check out the Waivers and AP forum for the threads related to that.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have you met?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Being a pakistani and marrying a divorced pakistani is a red flag and surely will put u in Ap for months even years. So do lots of research...

(F)USCIS

Citizenship

01 January 2018: Online application

02 January 2018: NOA

06 January 2018: Biometric Notice

22 January 2018: Biometric appointment

Timeline

Being a pakistani and marrying a divorced pakistani is a red flag and surely will put u in Ap for months even years. So do lots of research...

What is Ap? Would be glad if you could give a starting point ... As far as I understand, what should matter here is the visa interview. Could there be other delays as well?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

AP, is Administrative Processing further more processing in a case, and when someone goes into AP there is no timing it can be days, weeks, months and even years. The delay itself is the AP.

K-1 I-129F Sent : 2012-04-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2012-05-03

I-129F RFE(s) :NONE!!! Praise GOD!!

I-129F NOA2 : 2012-11-07

NVC Received : 2012-11-13

NVC Left : 2012-11-28

Consulate Received : 2012-12-03

Packet 3 Received : 2012-12-05

Packet 3 Sent : 2012-12-15

Packet 4 Received : 2012-12-20

Interview Date : 2013-01-18

Interview Result : Administrative Review

2013-11-20 Embassy requested new medical, pictures and DS160.2014-02-24 Fingerprints and Oath (But was told AP was still in place).Ceac Status:2014-03-06 Creation date changed and also changed from immigrant to non-immigrant.2014-04-08 and 2014-04-11

Status Updates 2014-04-15 "ISSUED" To God be the glory!!!

2014-04-19 Visa in hand.2014-04-21

POE 2014-06-01 Married!

AOS 2014-07-19 AOS/EAD/AP

Mailed 2014-07-21

NOA 12014-08-18

Biometrics 2014-09-23

EAD/AP Combo Card Received2015-01-03

Received Potencial Interview Waiver Notice2015-05-01

Submitted Service Request2015-05-08 Reponse to Service Request "File is in transit to Washington District office 2015-05-19"

Mailed Renewal of EAD/AP2015-05-26

USCIS Received EAD/AP Applications 2015-06-04

NOA 1 & Biometrics Appointment 2015-06-17

Biometrics 2015-06-09 2nd Service Request (No answer)

2015-07-10 Status of EAD/AP Changed to "Card in production"2015-07-10

3rd Service Request 2015-07-17

Received EAD 2015-07-21

2016-24-07 Still Waiting!!! 2 YEARS!!!!No interview, No Greencard

Administrative processing normally happens after an interview. They may not give you an answer or say you're approved, but then you still end up in AP. They do name checks, background checks, on you, your family, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

The GF obtaining her green card through VAWA and marriage to another US citizen then petitioning for a foreign spouse is another red flag.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.