I AM NOT THAT GUY

Should President Obama, or any President, be allowed to serve a third term?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

With the anniversary of the 22nd Amendment on Friday, Constitution Daily looks at two hot-button topics: Should a President be allowed to serve a third term? And should members of Congress and the Supreme Court have term limits like the President?

http://news.yahoo.com/president-obama-president-allowed-serve-third-term-120011730--politics.html

Term limiting a President to one term would seem reasonable. One they get elected, they could stop being in campaign mode, and actually be serious for four years. Usually two term Presidents do great things in their last two years. I don't think the US could handle a President in campaign mode for 10 of his 12 years in office, 6 of 8 is bad enough.

Congress? You do need some institutional memory to get the normal business done. However, the constant need to raise money for the next election keeps the House from doing its job at times. Do you want that institutional memory to lie solely with staff members and have the House populated by fresh faces every two years? It works for the military.

For the Senate, I would not mind seeing the direct election of Senators repealed and let the state legislatures decide who they want to represent state interests, and not be swayed by changing public opinion. If a state wants to term limit its Senator, then they can, otherwise, I would leave it completely up to the individual states to pick their two Senators any way they want.

Supreme Court Justices? I see some mischief possible if we limit them more than the Constitution does, to serve during good behavior, and only removed involuntarily by death, or impeachment.

Edited by I AM NOT THAT GUY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I think all elected officials should only be allowed one term in office. Hopefully that would stimulate them to get things done and build their legacy as quickly and effectively as possible, while simultaneously minimizing cronyism and corruption.

Filed: Timeline

I think all elected officials should only be allowed one term in office. Hopefully that would stimulate them to get things done and build their legacy as quickly and effectively as possible, while simultaneously minimizing cronyism and corruption.

That would hardly work. Thing is that political leaders in several other developed countries don't have term limits and they get sh!t done. The state of corruption in this country - at thirds world levels, really - stems from the undue influence that money has on the political process. The ludicrous idea that money is free speech and that corporations are people - a view the highest court of this nation holds - is what tears at the fabric of the country. Term limits my #######. We have term limits for every elected office here in FL and yet this is one of the most corrupt states in the nation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

That would hardly work. Thing is that political leaders in several other developed countries don't have term limits and they get sh!t done. The state of corruption in this country - at thirds world levels, really - stems from the undue influence that money has on the political process. The ludicrous idea that money is free speech and that corporations are people - a view the highest court of this nation holds - is what tears at the fabric of the country. Term limits my #######. We have term limits for every elected office here in FL and yet this is one of the most corrupt states in the nation.

But certainly the less time in office, the less time to collect bribes and coddle special interests, no?

Also don't forget you can get shyt done and still be corrupt. Many people in all parts of the world are, unfortunately, OK with that.

Term limiting a President to one term would seem reasonable. One they get elected, they could stop being in campaign mode, and actually be serious for four years. Usually two term Presidents do great things in their last two years. I don't think the US could handle a President in campaign mode for 10 of his 12 years in office, 6 of 8 is bad enough.

Congress? You do need some institutional memory to get the normal business done. However, the constant need to raise money for the next election keeps the House from doing its job at times. Do you want that institutional memory to lie solely with staff members and have the House populated by fresh faces every two years? It works for the military.

For the Senate, I would not mind seeing the direct election of Senators repealed and let the state legislatures decide who they want to represent state interests, and not be swayed by changing public opinion. If a state wants to term limit its Senator, then they can, otherwise, I would leave it completely up to the individual states to pick their two Senators any way they want.

Supreme Court Justices? I see some mischief possible if we limit them more than the Constitution does, to serve during good behavior, and only removed involuntarily by death, or impeachment.

I say select them at random, and they get 1 -6 year term and a pension for life for serving. It couldn't be worse. Or appoint them like a jury for 1 year and sequester them so no outside money can influence them . I bet as diverse as this forum is, we could get some very meaningful stuff done .

Edited by The Nature Boy

Yes the us is up there with Chad LOL

Whatever Yawn!

21-Least-Corrupt-Nations-2013.jpg

Corruption is not the main problem. The scorched earth demonization of anyone with a different opinion is the main problem we face today. These forums are a perfect microcosm of it. People don't search for interesting topics to discuss, they search for headlines that let them say something bad about the "other" side and make one line zingers that their fellow non-thinkers can click the up arrow to feel good.

None of you are going to stop it and the politicians are no better the you are so the are not going to stop it. ...and by "you" I am referring only to those who are not me :star:

I'm a non-thinker. I up voted your post.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Corruption is not the main problem. The scorched earth demonization of anyone with a different opinion is the main problem we face today. These forums are a perfect microcosm of it. People don't search for interesting topics to discuss, they search for headlines that let them say something bad about the "other" side and make one line zingers that their fellow non-thinkers can click the up arrow to feel good.

None of you are going to stop it and the politicians are no better the you are so the are not going to stop it. ...and by "you" I am referring only to those who are not me :star:

Well said .

So this validates your point because the U.S. has enough money to buy their way onto a least corruption list??

That comment is right up there with Ace BooKoo being a racist statement.

Still love you however, just saying . Everybody plays the fool sometimes.. Darn now I will be singing that song in my head all day

I'm a non-thinker. I up voted your post.

I thought about it for a second, then I up voted his post too.

Take the "career" out of being a politician and you will have the people in office that truly want to be there. Then things will get done without costing tax payers billions of dollars. The state of NH does it right, I believe most of the state legislature gets paid $100 a year, it's mostly all volunteer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I thought about it for a second, then I up voted his post too.

Take the "career" out of being a politician and you will have the people in office that truly want to be there. Then things will get done without costing tax payers billions of dollars. The state of NH does it right, I believe most of the state legislature gets paid $100 a year, it's mostly all volunteer.

Take the "career" out of being a doctor and there will be a severe shortage.

Take the "career" out of being a doctor and there will be a severe shortage.

Take the cucumbers out of the produce section, and Spooky won't go shopping.