dischordinary

Stressed about the AOS interview...

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hey everyone,

this is kind of a different topic, I know all the papers etc. I'm supposed to bring for my AOS interview and I already prepared most of them... but I'm just so stressed! I don't know what to expect. Is it anything like the visa interview? Do you just answer questions? How long does it take? I would feel so much better if I could hear about your experiences. I don't know anyone I could ask.

Also, kind of a stupid question, but do you think it's acceptable to hold hands with my husband at the interview, or is it gonna be seen as too ostentatious? After all, this is a marriage based AOS. My interview is on March 9. Thanks for any help.

We just went to my wife's AOS interview 2 weeks ago and, believe me, there is nothing to stress out about. The IO was very friendly and before asking any questions she explained everything that was going to happen. She asked if my wife needed translation and asked me if I could do it as long as there was no small talk between me and my wife during the questions. She asked a few questions from the AOS packet, like where was she born and name of her parents and a couple biographical questions. Than she asked to explain how we met and become a couple, we answered wihtout going into details too much. She also asked some obvious NO questions like "have you ever commited any crimes" blah blah. She then said that everything looked good with no issues and said it was approved.

By the time we hit the road my wife's status had already been updated on the USCIS page to approved.

They mostly want to make sure that the marriage is legit, just make sure to have evidence such as what is recommended on the guides, if you bring photos be ready to explain where they were taken and who is anyone included on the photos besides you and your spouse. We brought about 5 photos and she only briefly asked where they were taken and gave them back. Good luck.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Interviews for those adjusting from a K-1 are typically not that long or bad. They will ask a few questions, have you re-answer some of the questions from the I-485, may want to see some evidence of marriage, such as co-mingling of finances and co-habitation documents, and should explain to you about the need to remove conditions within 90 days before your green card expires.

You can go here and select the local USCIS office you will interview at to see reviews from that particular office > http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Just be yourself. As long as you have all the documents in place and no fake marriage etc... you should be fine.I just had mine last week. I was nervous too but the IOs understand that and try to do their job as well as they can.

But ’tis a common proof
That lowliness is young ambition’s ladder,
Whereto the climber upward turns his face.
But when he once attains the upmost round,
He then unto the ladder turns his back,
Looks in the clouds, scorning the base degrees
By which he did ascend.
- Julius Caesar
--------------------------------------------------------------

AOS Timeline

07/02/2014 Forms sent via FedEx to USCIS in Chicago, IL

07/08/2014 USCIS Filing Fees accepted

07/09/2014 NOA texts and emails

07/12/2014 Received NOA in mail

07/18/2014 Received Biometrics Appointment NOA for 7/31

07/31/2014 Biometrics @ 5220 S Pulaski - Completed!

08/04/2014 Testing and Interview

09/02/2014 EAD Approved and Card in Production (62 Days from filing)

09/04/2014 AP Approved (64 Days from filing)

09/09/2014 EAD/AP Mailed

09/10/2014 EAD/AP "Combo" Card Received

01/12/2015 Text for 485 Adjustment Received (Interview Schedule)

02/17/2015 Interview Scheduled (230 Days or 7 months and 15 days from filing)

02/17/2015 Request for Original Document

02/24/2015 Original Document Shown and Green Card Approved for Production

03/04/2015 Green Card Arrived Via USPS

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline

01/03/2017 Forms and paperwork sent in to California.

01/09/2017 NOA1 Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.