Hushee

embassy does not allowed co-sponsor

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Laos
Timeline

I currently dont have a job, never had a job. Im 21 years old and attending college full time, this will be my last semester The laos embassy does not allow co-sponsors. But some say that if you have some sort of income, then you may have a co-sponsor. Im stuck. Getting a job in my area is very difficult. Can someone give some advice or something to tell me what I should do? I plan to go back to laos during summer.

Supporting yourself and your future spouse will not be easy without a job. USCIS wants petitioners to have some kind of income so that beneficiaries do not depend on governement benefits upon arrival.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Are you the beneficiary or the petitioner? The petitioner is the one that needs the income. The beneficiary needs none.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

I am the petitioner. After I graduate I will have a completely free schedule. Should I wait until I have a job then send in the papers? Or can I try it without a job. I still live with my parents too

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Supporting yourself and your future spouse will not be easy without a job. USCIS wants petitioners to have some kind of income so that beneficiaries do not depend on governement benefits upon arrival.

I have seen many people come over here on co sponsors. Maybe they will live with parents at first.

I find it odd the some embassies allow co sponsors and some don't, and some it a case by case basis......

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am the petitioner. After I graduate I will have a completely free schedule. Should I wait until I have a job then send in the papers? Or can I try it without a job. I still live with my parents too

I would suggest waiting until you begin your work life and can then assimilate a spouse.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

• 2 months later...
Timeline

You can use your parents income as household income since they live in your household or you live in their household. They will not be your co-sponsors, just additional household income. However I am not sure if this will fly since the CO is the one making the decision. The CO can assume that since you are a college student you are a responsible citizen and will soon graduate with a 4 year degree and have no issue finding a well paying job to support you and your fiance. Also, your household income if sufficient meets the criteria of 125% of poverty level should be fine. But the CO can also decide that even though household income is sufficient, you haven't shown enough to prove that your fiance is not going to be a public liability when she gets to the US and decline the application. It can go both ways. I suggest you find employment first before applying to give you the best chance. Think about it......how would you adjudicate your case if you were in the CO's shoes?

What other joy is there but being with the one you love

Timeline

I just wanted to clarify that each individual Embassy is different when it comes to taking a co-sponsor. For the embassy in Laos I've already confirmed with the embassy that they will take a co-sponsor for a married couple the CR1 application, but they will not take a co-sponsor for the K1 fiance application. However, in this case since the petitioner lives in the same household as his parents he can use their income in addition to his as household income. The concern is how the CO will view this. I have discussed on this forum with another petitioner who did not have enough income and was originally declined but was able to add parents income because they are in the same household. She got the decision reversed to her benefit after providing proof. The difference is that that petitioner was the head of the household and her parents were dependents while this case's petitioner is a dependent. Again, it's going to come down on how the CO views this decision even if you can use technicalities to meet income criteria.

What other joy is there but being with the one you love

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.