bigja99

Naturalization interview tomorrow, had a couple of questions

8 posts in this topic

Looking forward to the interview tomorrow and had a couple of questions I'm hoping people here have experience with.

I've heard stories of the oath ceremony sometimes happening right after the interview if you pass. How likely is this in your experience? I see a lot of people on here having to wait 1-3 months after the interview for their oath ceremony so I'm thinking it's not likely but if this happened to anyone I'd love to hear about it.

The interview letter included a separate form asking for various documentation, this form actually seems a bit out of date (for example calling the IRS transcript a 1722 form) but it asks for 2 passport photos and "proof of marital union". I'm assuming this marital union proof is the same as the marriage certificate but I'm not sure? Also, I already included passport photos when I sent in the n400 so why do I need more?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had my interview the next day and so are many people i have talked to but on the other side of the scale i read people on here say their oath was a month or two from the interview.

My suggestion would be to do what they ask on the form and don't waste your time on questioning it. That is what i did at least. I brought all the documents asked of me from that sheet and even some extra once but they did not end up asking for most of them.

Yes that is the marriage certificate.

I wish you luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Looking forward to the interview tomorrow and had a couple of questions I'm hoping people here have experience with.

I've heard stories of the oath ceremony sometimes happening right after the interview if you pass. How likely is this in your experience? I see a lot of people on here having to wait 1-3 months after the interview for their oath ceremony so I'm thinking it's not likely but if this happened to anyone I'd love to hear about it.

The interview letter included a separate form asking for various documentation, this form actually seems a bit out of date (for example calling the IRS transcript a 1722 form) but it asks for 2 passport photos and "proof of marital union". I'm assuming this marital union proof is the same as the marriage certificate but I'm not sure? Also, I already included passport photos when I sent in the n400 so why do I need more?

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Philadelphia does not offer same-day ceremonies.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/pennsylvania-philadelphia-field-office#Naturalization%20Ceremonies

Some offices give you a same day oath, some give you an oath letter right after your interview for a later day, but most will mail you a letter within a few weeks to a couple of months after the interview.

They ask for addition photos just in case there's something wrong with the ones you sent. They figure that it's easier to ask you to bring them than to have you mail them in.

For proof of marital union, they definitely want to see your marriage certificate but may also want evidence that you are legitimately living with your spouse. Some applicants have been asked to show joint bank statements, joint car insurance, joint lease agreements, etc.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

@JimmyHou Thanks for that link, very useful!

Interesting about proof of marital union wanting all that extra stuff, especially as we already gave them all that during the green card application. It's funny because it's such a minor part of the letter it's easily missed but those 4 words, "proof of marital union" could actually equate to many documents. I guess just to be safe I'll bring along some joint statements like you say.

Thanks guys.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It really depends on if your applying based on the 3 year rule or the 5 year rule.. If applying based on the 5 year rule you don't need to include any evidence that you are legitimately living with your spouse.. The photos is up to you ro take extra set or not. I'm planing to take some to my interview on Thursday and I figured if you don't need them I'll use them to apply for a passport later if I get approved lol.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

my interview is not until next month but i have several questions if some one can help me!

i entered illigally to the usa and i was 18 i didnt register with sss because i didn't even know i had to until now that i'm 34 what can i do...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

my interview is not until next month but i have several questions if some one can help me!

i entered illigally to the usa and i was 18 i didnt register with sss because i didn't even know i had to until now that i'm 34 what can i do...

No need to do anything. You are over 31 so this should not matter.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.