Henley1989

Experience vs Degree

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I hope to receive my K1 Fiancé visa later this year (followed by adjustment of status and green card)

Im doing some early investigation into job potential.

I know in the US, a college degree is highly sought after. I was wondering if anyone was in the same situation as me and got anywhere..

26 years old, no college degree (high school was highest education), started work in software (support/training/customer success) straight out of school. Im in my 6th year of work, and I have held 5 positions with my first employer (6 years) and I just moved onto my second employer couple months back.

I have multiple UK and US based positive references. (I worked in the US on a work visa for a while). I tend to do very well in interviews and I know what im looking for job wise.

Any advice? Am I restricted in my job search?

Thanks
Levy

Filed: Timeline

Here is my own personal experience, but having a degree typically opens the door for an interview/opportunity (which is the hardest part in my opinion). After that experience matters a lot.

When employers look at resume/CV, they usually have minimum qualifications. If they require a degree, and you don't have one they probably will just move you to the no interview pile. In one of the organization I worked for, I met a really talented IT person who started at a low level IT position (only had a HS diploma and AA degree in IT), and was able to move up the career ladder quickly once he got in. He ultimately got his Bachelor's Degree to open the door for other opportunities, and it worked out for him.

OP, I wish you luck but just don't be discouraged if you don't get your dream job right away. If you do get it, more power to you.

Filed: Timeline

I don't think your job search will be restricted in anyway, but it may be more difficult getting your foot in the door, so to speak, for the initial interview and vetting process.

Fact is, in established companies, there are many qualified people vying for the same job and an employer can be a bit choosy. Unfortunate as it seems, a job application/resume/CV usually gets an initial 20 second view before it either goes into the 'qualified' pile or the 'not qualified' pile - and these decisions are based purely upon meeting a pre-determined metric which is either present on the resume/cv or not.

For you, it may be better to work through a recruiter who will take the time to know your abilities beyond what is on your resume/cv, and then the recruiter will be able to better position you for an interview. Also, networking will be very helpful to you, as well as perhaps considering freelance work for awhile ...

I've found that showing that I had a "United Kingdom general education" and having a neutral British accent has opened up many doors, even though I don't have a degree. I found ways to make my resume stand out from my competition and have only been unemployed for 9 months during the ten years I've been here (and that was because of a reduction in force). Otherwise I have held jobs in which the job description stated it required a degree and which have paid on the higher end ($25-$41 per hour, and I'm only in the admin field, nothing special!). I think if you can market yourself and interview well...lack of a degree shouldn't stop you getting a good job. Even Google recognizes that experience over a degree (which it used to insist on) actually isn't best practice!
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-google-hires-people-2013-6

http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/25/why-google-doesnt-care-about-college-degrees-in-5-quotes/

Maybe the market place you're in makes a difference too - I'm in Southern California. Also agree with Novedsac that getting a good recruiter who will properly market your skills and experience is important. Pick one that is not just a glorified sales rep who is trying to put bums on seats but one who wants to place you in a long-term career position for the good of you and the company!

Hope that helps

Edited by perfect

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Timeline

Thanks very much for all the advice. I understand getting a foot in the door is the hardest part and lack of degree can make that more difficult for me. I will start looking for suitable recruiters who might be able to help out. For my part, I have made sure my resume has been Americanised and I have my references in order. At this point all I need is some good fortune.

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Places are aware of the fake degrees and will toss your resume in the trash if that is your education. Go for certification tests. You can take those and they are sought by employers.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks. Not sure what a certification test is but will research. Do you mean like a Microsoft certification? I need something that is going to be really quick..

Cheers

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Microsoft, cisco, comptia+ If you have the skills to pass the test based on what you have learned then jobs looking for those skills exist. There are hundreds of thousand in the US that go to bad or fake diploma mills and never get a job based on those "degrees" Unfortunately software is easily exported so a lot of jobs are not in the US they are somehwere where you can hire twice the promgrammer for one third the price.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

Thanks. I actually did some research and found something that is based exactly around the role I intend to move into. Its not a degree or a certified course, but its an on-line short course that provides the exact skills I need to transfer into the field I want. Hopefully this will show potential future employers that initiative was taken to learn something that would directly influence my work as well as taking an interest in the field itself

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I've been in IT career for 30 years.

Is college degree required for IT job? No

Is it harder to find a job with only HS degree? Yes

Based on my experience and assessment of your situation...

1. Big companies tend to have more strict guidelines.

Some not only required college degree in the relevant field,

but they often have minimum GPA requirement (for young professionals such as you).

2. Small companies tend to have more relaxed guidelines,

so you might have better chance.

3. If you target near entry level positions like level I customer support, Help Desk, etc.

there are ton of these jobs that pays $8 to $20 per hour that you will have good

change to get in.

4. Getting as many certifications as possible in lieu of college degree,

it will definitely improve your knowledge and impression of your skills.

5. Once you get to US, look into getting at least 2 year junior college degree,

which is relatively cheap, and often offer night and evening classes

so that you can work also.

6. After you complete Junior college, consider putting in 2 more years of school

to get the bachelor degree.

7. Keep in mind that many companies offer tuition reimbursement, so it can

also help to pay for school as well.

8. Lastly, network...network...network...I'm talking people networking.

This is by far the easiest and quickest way to get jobs.

Start by joining local XXX technology user group, and start mingling with other peers.

Volunteer to tutor deprived kids...joining various social groups...etc.

Good luck.

10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Timeline

Thanks very much. Really helpful points. A couple of points from my side:

- Im actually not in IT at all. Its all been software houses - I know software houses and apps are big right now so im going to be targeting those. The role im going for is customer success which luckily does not require any actual formal qualification, its merely a skill-set, so in this case, my experience and references might count for a fair bit.

- Correct - both companies I have worked for have been small software houses who have more relaxed views on entry requirements, so its a recipe I will stick to. Of course doesn't hurt to apply to bigger companies.

- Obviously I would like to go straight into a mid senior level role as that's my current position, but I don't think I can be that picky. It might be a case of getting any half decent paid job to get my foot in the door. American jobs tend to pay better than English so I might even be able to match current salary at a lower level of seniority.

- I actually worked in the States for 2 years so I do have a number of ex-clients that I still keep in contact with, so im definitely going to use that to aid my search.

Cheers

Levy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Sinyor19 I`m on the same road as you are, 36 years old...just HS degree :/ and 16 years experience in IT, last year as CIO. I have a comptia a+ and now I`m preparing for network+ cert. Hope these certificates will help me with job hunting later on......

At the beginning my plan is searching entry level job just to get filling how stuff works there:)

Good luck!

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Timeline

Frips,

So you are also applying for a visa and seeing your possible work options once you get EAD? I think entry level might have to be an option to consider. As demoting as it it with years of solid experience, perhaps this is what we have to consider with no degree in the States :( - Of course I will apply for senior jobs too but I guess entry level aswell now.

Good luck to you too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.