ArroyM

Married Name on Green Card

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

When I started the CR1 and filled form with Married for my wife and receipts came with Married name. When we did the I-864 I still filled last name with Married name for wife. By the time they got all the original documents the letter was stating Maiden Name. When appointment came the name was her Maiden name. I suppose because of the Mexico Passport. So now I paid the Elis fee on January 28, 2015 to get green card. How do i get them to send green card with Married name? Is there a form to get them to process with married name?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to General Immigration-Related Discussion.***

**Moderator hat off**

To get a new Green Card, you will need to file an I-90 and pay the applicable fee ($450).

If you don't want to pay the $450 now, you can deal with this issue during the Removal of Conditions process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Somebody please help that has gone thru this situation before. The green card has not be issued because Immigrant Visa for my wife was just approved Jan 20, 2015. I had requested from start of petition to use Married Last Name. But when the Visa was approved the front paper to enter USA has HER FATHER'S LAST NAME de MY LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

So if they have not issue card how can i get a message to them that we would like to have the green card with FIRST NAME MY LAST NAME. We do not want the Father's or Mother's name on it.

Timeline

Maiden Name, i guess she has to use that until 2 year condition is removed. I guess she will have a maiden name green card and i guess we try to get social security with married name for Income Tax purposes, and US Id with married name

Timeline

This information is for those who are starting the petition for a wife and would like to have the husbands last name on green card.

Once you are married make sure you get passport with Married name not Maiden name before starting process.

I got an answer from USCIS just now, and see what they said.

email@yahoo.com A case already filed in USCIS ELIS
Jan 30 at 2:15

Dear Ms. LAST NAME:

Thank you for your inquiry of January 28, 2015, regarding your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card.

Though you can change some biographic details within your USCIS ELIS account, your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card will be produced using the information contained in your Immigrant Visa Packet, which you approved during your Immigrant Visa application process.

If your Permanent Resident Card is issued with an error, you may file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card, to request a corrected card. You can download this application on our website at www.uscis.gov. If you decide to file, please mail your completed Form I-90, the original card, and a detailed explanation of the card error with documentation supporting the correct information. Examples of documentation may include a copy of your birth certificate, marriage certificate, legal name change, etc. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation. Mail the Form I-90, incorrect card and supporting documentation to the following address below:

USCIS

P.O. Box 21262

Phoenix, AZ 85036

As a reminder, if you move or are planning to move, please update your address in your USCIS ELIS account at https://elis.uscis.dhs.gov/.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

USCIS Customer Contact Center

ELJ

Maiden Name, i guess she has to use that until 2 year condition is removed. I guess she will have a maiden name green card and i guess we try to get social security with married name for Income Tax purposes, and US Id with married name

If you take the marriage certificate with you, then you can get the SSN and the state ID with married name.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Should've changed the passport to reflect new married name. Not USCIS fault so even if you file I-90 you will have to pay regular fee.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.