CG&LGG

Order of events, marriage first or apply for SSN

20 posts in this topic

Whether or not you marry first, you should apply for the SSN in the maiden name. It can help you avoid delays and hassles that way. After you file for AOS and get your EAD or green card, then go back to the SSA and change it to the married name.

Since the I-94s are now electronic, there is no longer a need to wait 2 weeks for the data to be entered by hand into the system. It is already in there now from scanning your passport.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN~

^This. We applied for my then-fiancee's SS Card 2 days after her POE. It would've been earlier had her arrival not been as late in the day as it was on Dec 31 & the very next day being a Holiday.

Thanks guys, figured this would be one of the benefits of going electronic. :thumbs:

Citizenship Process Timeline: 

Citizenship Process [1 year, 1 month and 1 day to Naturalization Certificate]

03.22.2020 - N400 sent (online)

03.22.2020 - NOA1 Received (online)

03.27.2020 - NOA1 Received (mail)

09.05.2020 - Biometrics appointment scheduled (online)

09.24.2020 - Biometrics appointment

02.02.2021 - Interview Scheduled (online)

02.06.2021 - Interview Letter Received (mail)

03.10.2021 - Interview - Approved

03.10.2021 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled (online)

03.16.2021 - Oath Ceremony Letter Received (mail)

04.23.2021 - Oath Ceremony

I am the beneficiary

I just want to share that we got married first and then I filed my SSN in my married name with no issues or questions from the SS officer here in California. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, it just saved me another trip to SSA office for changing my name since in the office that we went to, there was a long queue and we waited for 2 hours before my name was called. I should be expecting my card in 2 weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Some states require a SSN for the marriage license (like south Carolina) So deff get that first.

Feb.23,2018: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Mar. 21, 2018: Received NOA

April.6,2018: Received extension letter 

April.24,2018: Waived Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

SSN is only required for marriage license if you already have one. All states should offer to use another form of ID#, typically the passport, when informed that one of the applicants for the license is a non-resident alien with no SSN.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I'll be applying for the SSN after getting married, just due to the timing for POE, wedding, and public holidays. I won't be changing my name at first but will do this later down the line. Given no name change, do I need to take the marriage certificate (or even mention that I've gotten married) at the social security office? I don't want to add more detail than necessary to avoid their confusion haha.

Simon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.