JimmyHou

What to Expect at the Naturalization Oath Ceremony

109 posts in this topic

Do I provide them with a passport photos or they are going to take my photo for applying for a passport?
Can anyone provide me with information about applying for the passport and the process?

1 minute ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Do I provide them with a passport photos or they are going to take my photo for applying for a passport?
Can anyone provide me with information about applying for the passport and the process?

The instructions on the passport form are very clear about what you need to provide. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf

14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

The instructions on the passport form are very clear about what you need to provide. https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds11.pdf

I read it. it is still not cleared if I have to provide picture or if they will take my passport picture. Or we have to do both.
What is the photo service do exactly? Should I schedule appointment with a passport only or passport and photo?

Timeline
34 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Can I complete getting the new passport at USCIS or I must got to the post office?

Post Office.

Check online which one in your area does passports, and it will tell you if they do pictures.

https://www.usps.com/international/passports.htm

Edited by NEW CITIZEN

Timeline
20 hours ago, ShawnSpiker said:

What if I only have one of my Green cards only and I can not find the previews ones?
Is that going to be a problem?

No green cards for passport.

How can you be in possession of a green card, you turn them in during your oath.

Edited by NEW CITIZEN

On 10/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, NEW CITIZEN said:

No green cards for passport.

How can you be in possession of a green card, you turn them in during your oath.

I mean at the ceremony. I have only one green card not the previous ones.

4 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

One is fine.

But you're switching from passports to oath ceremony. Confusing!!

No, I am just trying to get prepared.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

No, I am just trying to get prepared.

When is your oath ceremony?

Go to USPS online, make an appointment for a passport on the afternoon after your oath ceremony. With photo service.

Extra $15, but you know the photo won't be rejected.

Make a black and white copy of your new NC, you will give the USPS your NC, and the black and white copy.

(Make a color copy for yourself)

Make a black and white copy of your drivers license, one page front one page back.

Fill out the passport application online, so it's printed, not done by hand, and there will be an identifying scan code on it.

Get the passport card too, its useful when driving into Canada or Mexico.

Make sure you fill in alternate phone number, and email.

DO NOT fill out anything in the bottom of page 1. The USPS will fill that in during ID check.

You want to avoid having the USPS correct your application, that will slow down the processing down the line.

Pay the extra $60 for expedited.

Pay State department fees with a debit card, USPS will make a money order to send, best way to track the money.

Pay USPS fees with Debit or credit card.

16 minutes ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

When is your oath ceremony?

Go to USPS online, make an appointment for a passport on the afternoon after your oath ceremony. With photo service.

Extra $15, but you know the photo won't be rejected.

Make a black and white copy of your new NC, you will give the USPS your NC, and the black and white copy.

(Make a color copy for yourself)

Make a black and white copy of your drivers license, one page front one page back.

Fill out the passport application online, so it's printed, not done by hand, and there will be an identifying scan code on it.

Get the passport card too, its useful when driving into Canada or Mexico.

Make sure you fill in alternate phone number, and email.

DO NOT fill out anything in the bottom of page 1. The USPS will fill that in during ID check.

You want to avoid having the USPS correct your application, that will slow down the processing down the line.

Pay the extra $60 for expedited.

Pay State department fees with a debit card, USPS will make a money order to send, best way to track the money.

Pay USPS fees with Debit or credit card.

You are the best.
This is fantastic. I got it.
Thank you so much.

Would you please let me know what to expect at the ceremony exactly? What to do and not to do?
What to expect exactly? What to bring?
When should I sign the notice?

Are the only documents they needs the Ceremony Notice and Green Card?

Timeline
30 minutes ago, ShawnSpiker said:

Would you please let me know what to expect at the ceremony exactly? What to do and not to do?
What to expect exactly? What to bring?
When should I sign the notice?

Are the only documents they needs the Ceremony Notice and Green Card?

Do not dress casual, they consider the oath seriously.

Your notice, and Green card to be turned in.

You'll walk in the door, show then your Notice, get searched like at the airport, go to a window, turn in your Green Card, they show you your new NC, check for 

errors, then sign, you wait until everyone has complete the same. Everyone recites the oath with a USCIS official, they thank you and show you to the door.

Families wait outside.

I was in and out in 45 minutes. Might be a little different at different offices. I have heard of drive up ceremonies!!

I missed the 5,000 at a time ceremony by 2 days!! Cancelled. Waited 3 months, only to do it in the USCIS office with 29 others.

9 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

Do not dress casual, they consider the oath seriously.

Your notice, and Green card to be turned in.

You'll walk in the door, show then your Notice, get searched like at the airport, go to a window, turn in your Green Card, they show you your new NC, check for 

errors, then sign, you wait until everyone has complete the same. Everyone recites the oath with a USCIS official, they thank you and show you to the door.

Families wait outside.

I was in and out in 45 minutes. Might be a little different at different offices. I have heard of drive up ceremonies!!

I missed the 5,000 at a time ceremony by 2 days!! Cancelled. Waited 3 months, only to do it in the USCIS office with 29 others.

Thank you so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.