Upgrade from F2A to IR1

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello all , new to the site. My wife is in Italy and I am in Maryland. We filed form I-130 and it was received August 19th 2014 with the Vermont offices. Now it's january 2015 and they are processing forms for May 2013 , this is ridiculous.
I am also in the process of becoming a U.S. citizen , they received my N-400 October 27th 2014 and I have not received an interview date yet. I have called numerous times and they only say to wait longer. Today I called and the Baltimore offices are delayed 182 days. I am in the process of writing the president , the senator and the representative just because I can not sit here with my hands tied and continue to tell my wife to be patient. Does anyone know the email address where I can send a copy of my citizenship whenever I get that ? I will also send one certified mail. Does anyone know how long they take to update the petition from F2A to IR1? I know the processing times for different offices in different states vary but I'm assuming the entire country is backed up. I checked the fb page for VJ and people leave their stories there but hardly anyone comments. I would appreciate any advice , comment , suggestion from anyone . I know how hard it is for all of us to be far away from our loved ones and just because the government can not hire more people to help with the work to bring the processing times to actual time instead of being backed up we continue to suffer on a daily basis.
Thanks all

Chris and Nina

USCIS

24 July 2014 - Marriage :wub:

18 August 2014 - I130 sent
19 August 2014- PRIORITY DATE
20 August 2014 - I130 NOA1
:clock:
24 March 2015 - Case was transferred from VSC to CSC :huh:
18 May 2015 - I130 approved NOA2 (271 days )

NVC

17 June 2015- NVC received

17 June 2015- DS261, AOS BILL, IV BILL received

Website down :ranting::protest:
22 June 2015 - AOS BILL, IV BILL paid by mail
22 June 2015 - DS261 submitted by mail
05 July 2015 - WEBSITE BACK ON :dance:
05 July 2015 - DS260 completed
11 July 2015 - AOS & IV package sent
13 July 2015- AOS & IV package received
28 July 2015- Case Complete :D:dance:

19 August 2015 - Mailed & emailed upgrade from F2A to CR1 :thumbs:
27 August 2015- Received email stating that our embassy does not participate in NVC'S electronic processing program therefore we should submit forms through mail (which we had already) :cry:
02 September 2015 - Spoke to supervisor Silvia about our upgrade, found out whoever reply to our email was wrong and she was going to take a look at our case :rolleyes:

09 September 2015 - Confirmed upgrade F2a to CR1 through the phone with Supervisor Silvia (she's an angel) :D
Waiting for Interview date for Naples, Italy :clock:

11 September 2015 - Interview date scheduled for 28th October 2015 :D
14 September 2015 - Received P4 letter email ( interview letter) :dancing:

20 September 2015 - CEAC status changed to IN TRANSIT :thumbs:

21 September 2015 - CEAC status change to READY

NAPLES EMBASSY

27th October 2015 - Medical exam

28th October 2015 - interview (approved!!!) :D :dance:

waiting for news about passport and visa :clock:

4th November - CEAC status changed to ISSUED

5th November - VISA in hand ... yesssss finally! #blessed

8th November - POE MIAMI (the whole process took about 45mn)

19th November - Received SSN by mail ( I had applied for it when asked if i wanted to be issued a SSN in the DS260)

23rd December- Received GC by mail (it took about 45 days from POE) finally :dancing:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Check out this thread regarding upgrading the petition from F2A to IR1/CR1 at NVC stage (if your petition gets approved by USCIS and sent to NVC by the time you get your citizenship). http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/524609-upgrading-f2a-to-ir-1cr-1/

If your petition reaches at NVC then after your naturalization ceremony you have to send a copy of your naturalization certificate by email to NVC. Emailing them is the safest option because most of the times they do not care about the mail and they get lost.

If your petition is not approved by USCIS by the time you be a citizen then I think the approval will come soon after your citizenship. I do not say that for sure because I did not undergo the same process. Others with similar experiences can give more insights.

My husband filed N400 for his citizenship on Early FEbruary 2014 and he took the naturalization oath on NOV 26. Passport arrived mid of December. His interview was on Oct 14 at Federal Plaza NYC. NYC office is backlogged and it took almost a year to get citizenship.

So overall the situation is far from being good. The whole process is really hard and unbearable. My I130 petition was approved but it is now pending at NVC. 50 days have passed and our petition has not been upgraded yet from F2A to IR1/CR1. The reps just say to wait for 60 days.

Edited by ritbiv

Timeline

Upgrading F2A petition at USCIS stage:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/435456-how-to-upgrade-file-from-f2a-to-ir1/

This thread is about upgrading petition at USCIS. The best option is to call the National Customer service center and follow their instructions to upgrade your case.

Here is contact info of NSCS

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/contact-us/national-customer-service-center

Here is service center specific contact information

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/contact-us#USCIS%20Service%20Centers

Upgrading F2A petition at NVC stage:

Send a scanned copy of your naturalization certificate to asknvc@state.gov and also call NVC at
(603) 334-0700. Customer Service Representatives can speak with you Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight EST, excluding holidays.

Here is a sample email that my husband sent to NVC after getting his naturalization certificate.

(Subject line)

Case # XXXXXXXXXXXXX Request for Upgrading the Preference Category from F2A to IR1/CR1

(Email body)

Ref:

Petitioner: XXXX XXXX / Date of Birth: X/X/XXXX

Beneficiary: XXXX XXXX / Date of Birth : X/X/XXXX

USCIS Receipt number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Petitioner A #: XXXXXXXXXXX

NVC case number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

NVC IIN XXXXXXXX

Dear Officer,

I am writing to kindly inform you that I, XXXX XXXX (Petitioner of I130 petition) have become US Citizen.

I am attaching: naturalization certificate, and state Id with this email.

I sincerely request your kind self to please update the immigration status of the beneficiary, my wife XXXX XXXX from F2A to IR1/CR1. I will be grateful for your attention to this matter.

Thanking you,

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXX

MOBILE Number

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you need more information. I will try to help you if I know the answers. :)

Edited by ritbiv

Timeline

Thank god

I just got email to start the process

Choice of agent and paying fees and submitting docs

Happy happy

Congratulations!!!! Happy for you. :) Are you able to fill up ds261?

Edited by ritbiv

Timeline

My case has been upgraded to IR1/CR1. Thank God!!! Atlast I am able to move... No welcome email recieved yet but I am able to fill up DS261. So happy. It took total 50 days to update my case.

Edited by ritbiv

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

No I don't have attorney.

I paid the AOS FEE only and it showed paid after 2 days now I m waiting my w2 to file tax and only after filing tax this year I will submit the documents

What about u were u at

Timeline

No I don't have attorney.

I paid the AOS FEE only and it showed paid after 2 days now I m waiting my w2 to file tax and only after filing tax this year I will submit the documents

What about u were u at

We did not get any formal welcome email from NVC till now. I think the AOS fee link will be available after that. I hope your IV fee link opens up soon. Keep me updated about your case. I will do the same. Can we submit the documents (AOS and IV) before paying IV fees?

Edited by ritbiv

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.