Suggestions for VisaJourney

195 posts in this topic

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

If numbers were taken off of OT posts, people would just flood the intro board and welcome folks to death.

Is it possible to have a search engine that can search separate boards individually as well as the entire site? That way, you don't have to drudge up tons of useless stuff if you know what board what you need is on.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
I don't understand all these ideas about making newbies have to do certain things or only let them post x number of times a day or in one certain forum. Just ignore the "dumb" questions.

A lot of these rules wouldn't make sense for people who join after finishing/filing their initial paperwork (as was my situation) or even people who join when they are at the consulate stage/finishing AOS/etc.

*shrugs*

Dunno Alex. Personally for me I'm concerned for the welfare of the members. For them being able to get good guidance.

Let me give you an example of what concerns me. There were questions in a couple of forums last night and today about divorce decrees. One well-intentioned individual suggested going to a website that offers to obtain court documents for a price. This kind of thing is what upsets me.

It's really unfair to refer to any question as 'dumb'. Even for me to have said 'duh' questions. Everybody has questions when starting out. So if I flubbed up there - mea culpa.

Usually when you first come here, your questions are what concern you the most. You aren't really worried about dispensing advice. If post counts would serve to somehow limit people to getting what they first want (their questions answered) then by the time they've gotten to that point they are probably better informed and more able to answer questions.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with that? I'm really curious!

On the City of Buffalo website they refer visitors to that same website for individuals who need copies of birth/death certificates etc. IMO, it is a good resource for those individuals who no longer live in the area where the event (birth, divorce etc.) took place and can afford to pay the exorbitant processing fees.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
If numbers were taken off of OT posts, people would just flood the intro board and welcome folks to death.

Is it possible to have a search engine that can search separate boards individually as well as the entire site? That way, you don't have to drudge up tons of useless stuff if you know what board what you need is on.

each board does have its own search.. look towards the bottom, on the left of each boards page... you can even do a search in a specific thread....

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
I don't understand all these ideas about making newbies have to do certain things or only let them post x number of times a day or in one certain forum. Just ignore the "dumb" questions.

A lot of these rules wouldn't make sense for people who join after finishing/filing their initial paperwork (as was my situation) or even people who join when they are at the consulate stage/finishing AOS/etc.

*shrugs*

Dunno Alex. Personally for me I'm concerned for the welfare of the members. For them being able to get good guidance.

Let me give you an example of what concerns me. There were questions in a couple of forums last night and today about divorce decrees. One well-intentioned individual suggested going to a website that offers to obtain court documents for a price. This kind of thing is what upsets me.

It's really unfair to refer to any question as 'dumb'. Even for me to have said 'duh' questions. Everybody has questions when starting out. So if I flubbed up there - mea culpa.

Usually when you first come here, your questions are what concern you the most. You aren't really worried about dispensing advice. If post counts would serve to somehow limit people to getting what they first want (their questions answered) then by the time they've gotten to that point they are probably better informed and more able to answer questions.

On the City of Buffalo website they refer visitors to that same website for individuals who need copies of birth/death certificates etc. IMO, it is a good resource for those individuals who no longer live in the area where the event (birth, divorce etc.) took place and can afford to pay the exorbitant processing fees.

The State of Pennsylvania also refers you to another site to order documents (at least it did 2.5 years ago when I needed a birth cert). Their site doesn't have the ability (apparently) to handle the requests on its own. If the website for the Clerk refers you eleswhere, then that obviously is the place to go.

Perhaps I'm guilty of oversimplification. As someone who works in a law office, it's clearly obvious to me that the best and cheapest source for a certified legal document is the Clerk or Recorder in the county wherein the document is retained. Therefore I don't see the need to circumvent that source by going to another especially if one must pay extra.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If there would be a way for people to check their egos at the door, that's be nice. But I guess that would be something that would come about with more moderation, and well, more moderation might hamper the vast stretch this board covers.

I agree with limiting photo size in signatures. I like seeing pictures. And I like seeing graphics. but when I have to side scroll on my widescreen monitor? That's a little much. Also, I say completely get rid of the blue boxes and hearts. Or at the very least, bury them inside the profile, and make the "joined date" more prominent.

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

each board does have its own search.. look towards the bottom, on the left of each boards page... you can even do a search in a specific thread....

Thanks, Marilyn! I've never needed to do that, but I thought it would be neat. Nice that it's already there :thumbs:

Timeline

*shrugs*

The State of Pennsylvania also refers you to another site to order documents (at least it did 2.5 years ago when I needed a birth cert). Their site doesn't have the ability (apparently) to handle the requests on its own. If the website for the Clerk refers you eleswhere, then that obviously is the place to go.

Perhaps I'm guilty of oversimplification. As someone who works in a law office, it's clearly obvious to me that the best and cheapest source for a certified legal document is the Clerk or Recorder in the county wherein the document is retained. Therefore I don't see the need to circumvent that source by going to another especially if one must pay extra.

Rebeccajo, I think we are singing from the same hymn book! I personally would always choose to go to the county where the document is recorded as its so much cheaper. But then, I still live in the same city where I was born! However, I still think expensive websites can be useful for some individuals.

Jules

P.S. I always think you give out excellent advice! Very well thought out and unemotional. We could all use a bit more of that around here!

As for the topic, I think the search engine is in need of dire repair! The results are not useful and may be a huge contributing factor to the number of "duh" questions! Its really difficult to sort through all the muck to fund what you really need. With that said, I don't believe there is anything that can be done to ensure that "duh" questions won't be posed on these forums in the future.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What would encourage people to read the material that has already been posted instead of using the forums as their only way to find information?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline
What would encourage people to read the material that has already been posted instead of using the forums as their only way to find information?

Seriously, I wish I knew the answer to that question! The guides are great and can answer most any question; its when you have something a bit more unusual and need to search the forums where I see problems arising. The results aren't really meaningful...you have to sift thorugh endless posts where your search words are highlighted - every stinking reply that has quoted those words! I find it really frustrating!

I think the real problem is that people just don't want to take the time to search on their own. Or I could be generous and say they just don't have the time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Seriously, I wish I knew the answer to that question! The guides are great and can answer most any question; its when you have something a bit more unusual and need to search the forums where I see problems arising. The results aren't really meaningful...you have to sift thorugh endless posts where your search words are highlighted - every stinking reply that has quoted those words! I find it really frustrating!

I think the real problem is that people just don't want to take the time to search on their own. Or I could be generous and say they just don't have the time.

I agree that the search function is way too limited. And part of the problem is that threads are often not titled appropriately. "K1 question" is not a good title, for example. I think expanding the moderation role to include making topic titles more transparent would be a good start.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

It's really hard to see a post that has the information you need when the title is "Help! Question"

:star: Cass (bebop the great)

And part of the problem is that threads are often not titled appropriately. "K1 question" is not a good title, for example. I think expanding the moderation role to include making topic titles more transparent would be a good start.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I agree that the search function is way too limited. And part of the problem is that threads are often not titled appropriately. "K1 question" is not a good title, for example. I think expanding the moderation role to include making topic titles more transparent would be a good start.

I agree Jenn...I have done some searches in the past and get some really bogus stuff. The guides are great though :thumbs:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

I am not sure if this has already been said but can we add a list of civil surgeons by area that will do the vaccination supplement. (sort of like the embassy ratings page).

When USCIS forms are updated, can the instructions be updated as well. I am not sure how it is done now.

I like the new member profile page, because it is easier for me to watch a thread that I have posted to or created.

K-1 Journey

3/09/06 K-1 petition sent to Vermont

3/22/06 NOA1 received

4/17/06 NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4/21/06 NVC received/ Sent to Paris

5/06 returned to NVC, je ne sais pas pour quoi

7/6/06 IMBRA RFE

7/11/06 RFE received at VSC

8/18/06 NOA 2 Reapproved!!!!!!

9/12/06 Packet 3 arrived

9/22/06 Packet 3 sent

10/28/06 Packet 4

11/29/06 Interview/ APPROVED!!!!!

12/05/06 US arrival JFK POE

AOS/EAD Journey

12/19/06 SSN applied for

1/20/07 SSN card received in mail

1/23/07 Civil Ceremony

4/3/07 I-485 and I-765 sent

4/11/07 NOA1 received

6/15/2007 EAD production of card

6/24/2007 EAD received

6/27/2007 AOS approved!!!!

7/2/2007 Green Card Received!!!!!!!!!!!!

8/14/07 Baby Arrives 7:44pm

11/03/07 "It's a Family Affair" wedding

I-751

4/28/09 mailed to Vermont

5/11/09 receipt letter, I-751 received by VSC

6/12/09 biometrics Baltimore

8/4/09 approval letter

8/11/09 email, card will be sent within 30 days

Timeline

Imagine if your search word was "Help!" lol