scy

Why do people change their surnames after they are married?

371 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
This is an odd thread. I got bored reading about Lobster, sorry, and skipped the hockey part, cause I don't like hockey...

:yes::lol:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

When I was previously married, I didn't want to take his name. I dunno, there was something about it that said to me that I was no longer a part of my family & I was just a part of his that I didn't like. It bothered him, so I dropped my middle name, took my maiden as my middle, and took his. I worked under my name still. I hated the almost-hyphenation thing, but it was the only thing I could do as to not just be assimilated as one of 'his clan' (oh, I couldn't stand his family btw)

Anyways, this time around is completely different for me....I cannot wait to take his name fully and drop my own. It is a practicality thing as I want to have the same name as my future children, but it's also a unity thing for me. We are going to be one family, and I think the name change is essential (FOR ME) to feel that.

I still don't know what I'm going to do about work...my maiden name is rather cool as it has it's own little marketing tool built in....but I dunno what to do with that yet.

When I was previously married, I didn't want to take his name. I dunno, there was something about it that said to me that I was no longer a part of my family & I was just a part of his that I didn't like. It bothered him, so I dropped my middle name, took my maiden as my middle, and took his. I worked under my name still. I hated the almost-hyphenation thing, but it was the only thing I could do as to not just be assimilated as one of 'his clan' (oh, I couldn't stand his family btw)

Anyways, this time around is completely different for me....I cannot wait to take his name fully and drop my own. It is a practicality thing as I want to have the same name as my future children, but it's also a unity thing for me. We are going to be one family, and I think the name change is essential (FOR ME) to feel that.

I still don't know what I'm going to do about work...my maiden name is rather cool as it has it's own little marketing tool built in....but I dunno what to do with that yet.

keep the work name...i know a teacher, of young children, who did not change her name at work, so not to confuse the youngsters...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Timeline

keep the work name...i know a teacher, of young children, who did not change her name at work, so not to confuse the youngsters...

The only thing that's drawing me towards changing it is that my ex has badgered me for years. He doesn't lately, but I've been in the UK for a long time, so I dunno if he even knows I'm back yet. I moved away after our divorce....he'd be cryin at my doorstep all the time, long story short, too much drama.

My maiden name is VERY unique and I stand out like a sore thumb. If he were to ever google me, he could find me in a heartbeat, and that's the thing I don't like. :no: He's not a bad guy, but he had bad probbos with the words 'let go' if ya know what I mean.

Hiya Mark and Melo - sorry, been stressing and crappy the last few weeks...

*hugs to both of you lovely people* (F) (F)

*hugs to everyone* :)(F)

england3.gif

3/29/06 - AOS Approved!

3/3/08 - Check cashed for ROC at CSC...

Feb 2009 - Called USCIS to see what the heck was goin' on...

FEB 20th 2009 - Received email - GC on the way!

I am APPROVED for the 10 year PR Card!

367532.png

356980.png

MyBum.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Glad to see you back Jay Jay!

As a teacher, since we'll be getting married this summer, I'm going to take his name and start the new school year off with my married name. If we were marrying before the school year ended, I would have still let the kids call me by my name now, so they wouldnt be confused. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
emoayfight02catfight6uc.gif

Hahahaha funny emotes, i like :lol:

f68cm6.png

4/7/08 -------> Rec'd email from USCIS showing Card Ordered, Woot Woot

4/14/08 -----> 10 yr green card in hand

Citizenship Timeline

8/20/08 -------> Mailed N-400 to TSC

8/21/08 -------> N-400 rec'd by TSC @ 10:42 am signed for by C Maxa

8/26/08 -------> Check cashed

8/28/08 -------> Called USCIS was told biometrics scheduled for Sept 12 @ 3 pm

9/02/08 -------> Received NOA 1 showing receipt date as August 22, 2008

9/02/08 -------> Received bio appt by snail mail verifying scheduled date as 9/12 @ 3 pm

9/12/08 -------> Fingerprints taken

12/16/08------> Interview @ 10:05 am [PASSED]; OAth given at 2 pm

***MY HUSBAND IS NOW A USC***

12/29/08 -----> Filed for US passport book and passport card for my husband

01/08/09 -----> Rec'd US passport book in mail today; still waiting for card and return of natz cert

1/10/09 ------> Rec'd US passport card and Natz cert.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
lets pick our battles. this is usless. we all love our mates.

thats the bottomline. no matter if you take on their last name or not. right? now lets all make peace and meet yall at Red Lobster.

I am starving.

Only if you are paying :lol:

f68cm6.png

4/7/08 -------> Rec'd email from USCIS showing Card Ordered, Woot Woot

4/14/08 -----> 10 yr green card in hand

Citizenship Timeline

8/20/08 -------> Mailed N-400 to TSC

8/21/08 -------> N-400 rec'd by TSC @ 10:42 am signed for by C Maxa

8/26/08 -------> Check cashed

8/28/08 -------> Called USCIS was told biometrics scheduled for Sept 12 @ 3 pm

9/02/08 -------> Received NOA 1 showing receipt date as August 22, 2008

9/02/08 -------> Received bio appt by snail mail verifying scheduled date as 9/12 @ 3 pm

9/12/08 -------> Fingerprints taken

12/16/08------> Interview @ 10:05 am [PASSED]; OAth given at 2 pm

***MY HUSBAND IS NOW A USC***

12/29/08 -----> Filed for US passport book and passport card for my husband

01/08/09 -----> Rec'd US passport book in mail today; still waiting for card and return of natz cert

1/10/09 ------> Rec'd US passport card and Natz cert.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I come from a country where women never change their surnames upon marriage. In this age of identity theft and terrorists, proving one's identity is essential to getting anything done. Yet I don't understand why some people choose to go through the extra hassle of changing their names. Chaning name is especially chaotic for an immigrant. Someone enlighten me as to the reasons why you decided to change your surname knowing you will have to go through a lot of hassle.

Don't let anyone tell you its a cultural thing. It goes back a long way when men used to drag us women by our hair. And now that we have our independance, some still choose to hide behind their husband.

I would never give up my beautful Italian in origion last name to take my husbands name. He wasn't bothered that I kept mine. I did offer his the choice to take mine, but he declined. he he

Do what you want to do. It's not the done thing. Especially if you like me, I have 2 passports, 4 bank accounts in several countries. All too hard to change over!!!! And i'm 33 years old, i am who I am by now and no marriage certificate will change that.

Thank god my husband is a modern man!!! He accepts my views and allows me to choose whatever I want for my life!!!

Keep your name if you want!!

Jennifer Santolla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

This was a good thread.....

I come from a culture where children carry both last names, the father's and the mother's, and in my husband's country women don't change their last names after they are married. Here in the US, I only use my paternal name and when I decide to take my husband's last name (for sentimental reasons), I want to have it hyphenated...

Sept. 27: Filed AOS, EAD and AP

Oct. 6: NOA for AOS, EADand AP received, case was moved from the DC office to MSC

Nov. 23: Biometrics and fingerprint appt.

Nov. 24: AOS and EAD touched

Dec. 3: EAD arrives in the mail!

Sept 19, 2005: E-filed EAD renewal

Sept. 20: I-485 transferred to CSC

Dec 20: RFE notice received

Feb. 13, 2006: RFE received in CSC

Feb. 23: AOS approved

I thought I would just add to the thread:

I will also state that it is your own personal choice in what you and your husband decide to do.

I, however, have thought a long time about it.

Especially in reading 2 threads in the last few days.

First thread being this one, Second thread being the one where a couple is having a "row" and thinking about loosing your identity moving to a place where they are just gaining friends, have no family, and maybe can't drive or work or what ever the case is.

My future husband to be will be moving here from the UK, leaving his very tight family. Although this is our choice and we weighed out all the options we still decided to move to the states.

Where does this come into place with the whole name change idea?? Well.

I am starting a new family. I want Chris to feel he is starting and carrying part of his family here as well. This is not to say my maiden name isn't important. It very much is to me. Being that my father had no sons to carry on his name persay.

There would be no arguement if I decided to keep my maiden name. He would not have a problem. But my heart is kind of excited about having his name.

On the other end of things I am stepping into a business my father has owned for 30 years. I will choose to use my maiden name as my middle name and have it on my business cards so that our clients who have not delt with me yet know exactly who I am.

Again...it may seem romantic or old fashioned or not modern enough but I really do like the idea that I will take his name. But it is my own personal feeling.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

I plan on taking my husband's name...to me it's my way of being one with him, of showing him how much I love him. Now, don't misinterpret that statement to say if you don't take your husband's name that it means you don't love him...this is just my choice. Besides, I'm also ready to shed this name that I got from my ex...one less thing to remind me of my huge mistake in life.

Agree :thumbs:

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

why did this thread have to be resurrected? :angry:

i agree...i am tiring of this

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835